ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to paint my subs.  (Read 15531 times)

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
Re: BS-212 Duratex Photos
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2005, 12:35:18 AM »

Heres a close up you can sorta see the texture, though it was hard for me to disguise the wood patterns from my oh so soft Marine Grade Ply, Even after Heavy sanding.  Though you can't tell from this shot.

index.php/fa/3485/0/

chris fletchall

Re: How to paint my subs.
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2005, 01:10:32 PM »

were you satified with the out come of the duratext.

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2005, 03:52:28 PM »

I haven't put it through the rigours of being packed and bumped and scraped yet.  But I do like the finish so far.  I could have probably done a better texture job with a hopper gun but the roller didn't do to bad.

It feels almost like its coated in plastic now.  But I guess the real test is to put the things through abuse.

I used a little over Half a Gallon to cover 2 cabs with 2 coats ~ 22 X 24 X 40 each.

If I wanted to cover the wood grain a on the sides a little more it would probably take a third coat.  But I'm fine with how the cabs look.

I will give an update after I abuse the cabs a little.

Antone-

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2005, 01:56:14 PM »

What became of the Line-X idea? We've had subs, wedges, drumfills, and sidefills finished with it for several years now and I'd never go back. They still look like new and some Armour-All makes 'em look even better. Occasionally, a little tear will develop, but Super-Glue takes care of that. Better than sanding and refinishing.

Would I re-finish our KF-760s with Line-X? Well, no. At least not until I talk to the factory folks about it first. And even then, I think we'll re-finish them with the EAW paint the next time and use LeCovers for the carts.

Still, it's just Line-X for us on everything else.

Geri O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

Gary Phillips

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2005, 03:29:02 PM »

Hey Geri -
Roughly what did the Line-X cost per sub cabinet?
Thank, Gary
Gary Phillips
Annapolis, MD

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2005, 06:39:27 PM »

garyphillips wrote on Sat, 17 December 2005 14:29

Hey Geri -
Roughly what did the Line-X cost per sub cabinet?
Thank, Gary

A little over three years ago, we paid US$175.00 each for 8 double-18" front-loaded boxes. That was the last time we had anything Line-Xed, I don't know what it would run now. I'm fairly certain it hasn't gotten any cheaper... Laughing

Geri O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2005, 03:31:14 AM »

So far the Duratex has similarity's to Line X as far as consistency.  I'm sure if I did 3 or 4 Textured Layers it would be as thick and plasticy.

The main problem with Line-X is you have to find someone that is equipped to do cabinets.  The bigger the Cab the more problematic since each layer has to be sprayed in one shot.  And its Expensive.

Duratex is a much more cost effective method for a DIY'er and maybe almost or as good as Line-X (I don't know how difficult it would be to touch up it is self primering and waterproof).  We have a couple of Line-X cabs in the shop  It is nice thick plasticy stuff.  But for my prototype cab the Duratex seems to be a real bargain.  I spent less than 50$ and covered 2 large cabs with 2 layers and it took less than an hour between coats in a cold 45-50degree humid warehouse, and I have 1/3 of the Gallon Left.

Oh yah the Carvin TRX cabs use Duratex anyone know how well their finish holds up.

It Beats Enamel, or Latex House paint.

Antone-

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2005, 12:38:30 AM »

Antone Atmarama Bajor wrote on Sun, 18 December 2005 03:31

Oh yah the Carvin TRX cabs use Duratex anyone know how well their finish holds up.

Antone-

yup, just got a trx-153. you can read more detailed reviews in the product review forum. The finish is very tough on the TRX cabs. if you knock on it, it kind of hurts like knocking on hard epoxy, but if you press on it you can feel it give a little. seems to resist dings pretty well so far.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Les Webb

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2005, 11:10:28 PM »

I've experimented with Duratex some.  It is great for DIY and easy cleanup (water-based).  I tried it in a hopper and the results were great.  Tried to cover OSB with it but that didn't happen (didn't expect it to but it was worth a try).  Will be using it tomorrow on some MTL-1X's that we're tearing the rat-fur off of.  If I have a chance I'll post the results.
Bill Fitzmaurice Authorized Builder

Antone Atmarama Bajor

Re: Duratex Scratches
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2006, 08:58:41 PM »

Well My father Successfully scratched through my 2 layers of Duratex on my cabs by dragging some trunks with jagged metal corners across them Rolling Eyes  (Little gouges down to the wood no pealing though).  I think I should have done three coats it doesn't seem like the two layers are very thick.

I will have to inquire at duratex about touch up work.

Antone-
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.