ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How to paint my subs.  (Read 15522 times)

chris fletchall

How to paint my subs.
« on: October 09, 2005, 03:55:25 PM »

Forgive me for I have never had to do this before. Im thinking of puting a line-x on my old dual 18" subs and was wandering what I need to do to my cabs to prep them. Do I just tape and paper off the speakers , inputs and handles or do I take all of this off and  Paint it all. Thanks to anyone that can help me with this.

Al Limberg

Re: How to paint my subs.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 04:14:41 PM »

I would definitely recommend that you strip the cabinets completely and prep the surfaces very well.  Finishes such as line-x do not hide flaws but rather tend to emphasize them and make them look even worse.  Get reasy to do some serious sanding and filling to end up with a finished product you'll be happy with.

Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 05:47:57 PM »

I would add to the complete stripping, to use bondo (the body filler) to fill any voids.  It works and sands easily, and will give a good base for the lineX.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Al Limberg

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 07:33:09 PM »

Good call Ivan.  There's nothing that's quite such an eye opener as opening a 6 ounce can of Formby's filler and having the oh so obvious aroma of Bondo assault your nostrils.....especially when a gallon of Bondo would have cost the same as the 6 ounce Formby's!!

?;o)
Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

John Halliburton

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 08:40:12 PM »

Line-X likes a clean, dry surface.  The shop I take my cabinets to actually has an "oven" to leave the cabinets in for a couple of days, to drive any moisture out.  I've also been told that the bare plywood is best in this regard, so sand 'em down.

Best regards,

John Halliburton

chris fletchall

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 09:50:24 PM »

Thanks for all the good replys about this. Im starting my prodject this weekend by striping the cabnets down bare. Then I will do some bondo work on the corners and from what I understand every other crack and whole in the cabnet. Make the whole thing as smooth as a babys butt right? then soft sand . Should I prime these? If so with what?

again thanks for all the help.

Scott Shaw

• http://www.myspace.com/scotts63
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 11:25:47 PM »

Hey Chris, I coated my HDH cabs with Herculiner. Looks pretty good. The Line-X should do well. Like The other guys said, fill all imperfections and work with completely bare wood. The carpet will come off pretty easily but not all will come off. Also, when you strip the carpet you'll notice sharp edges on the back of the cab. You need to get a router and round the sharp edges a little. Otherwise they'll chip. Hope this helps.

Scott Shaw

chris fletchall

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 09:59:49 AM »

scott
do you have any pics of your finished cabs anywhere. That would help with insperation.

Joe Jones

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 10:17:59 AM »

Google DuraTex. Water base, applies with a roller, only $46 a gallon, same stuff that at least half the manufacturers use.

Scott Shaw

• http://www.myspace.com/scotts63
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 05:29:37 PM »

Sorry Chris, I don't have the digital technology to post these "pictures". I'm just a simple cave man.

Good Luck
Scott
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.