ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How to paint my subs.  (Read 15532 times)

[x]

Re: How to paint my subs.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 10:08:08 PM »

What subs are those? It looks like you have a mishmash of drivers being thrown in there. While a lot of pro sound drivers are designed to have similar electromechanical parameters, you might not be getting all the performance you could be getting. And if those are DIY subwoofers, where did you get that perforated metal grille material?
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

chris fletchall

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 10:42:35 AM »

The bottom subs are four Peavy HDH-3 subs.The inner speaker on both towers is a carvin 1588 main. and the top is a Yourkville Maxim 1000. We put the carvin main on bottom because it was to heavy for me to put on top at most shows. And my help is not always help. Is this bad that I put the carvin here?

I checked out the Duratex , and yep that's the stuff I think im gonna use. Cool

Tom Herr

• http://www.tandjsound.com
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 08:09:46 AM »

I would not suggest fine sanding the cabs. Strip them, fill the cracks, dents, scratches and holes if any. Then  sand with 60 or 80 gritt. Most of these heavy coatings will bond better to a coarse surface.

Tom Herr
T&J Sound
Custom Speakers

Robbie Nelson

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 10:17:54 PM »

I second the Duratex. I just gone done applying it to two sample boxes a few days ago and it is really great stuff. Virtually no odor, simple water clean up, no thinning down, rolls on with ease! Exactly what I was looking for.
Tuning Bobcats....

Mike Maki

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2005, 06:07:32 PM »

Hi,

Do you happen to have a link or more info on Duratex? I googled and it came back with hundreds of links but couldn't find the paint or a US supplier.

Thanks,

Mike

chris fletchall

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 09:55:25 PM »

Robbie
would you be able to take some good pictures of your finished product, and tell us how you applied it to the cabnet( roller, spray ) that would be great.

Mike here is the link I found http://www.acrytech.com/DuraTex.htm

and for all the other speaker builders out there. Im finally ripping all the old carpet off of my subs and getting started on this prodject. On the front corners of the subs there is a nice bit of damage that will need to be filled. Now if I fill this with bondo then apply the DuraTex do you guys think that it will break off real easy or will it take a few beatings before it needs repaired again. I dont know how strong the DuraTex is yet or for that matter how strong the bondo is. Should I use another filler for the corners?

Thanks

Dave Rickard

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 02:52:36 AM »

Robbie,

I tried to send you a PM.  Did you get it?

Dave
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Hank Staples

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 09:20:04 PM »

Seems the makers of Duratex are down since the last hurricane and will be a while before they are able to ship any product.  Sad  I was hoping to paint some of my cabs as well. Anyone have a supplier that I can buy some from in the meantime??  
Hank Staples

"Hey Y'all, Watch this!"

Hank Staples

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 09:25:11 PM »

Hank Staples

"Hey Y'all, Watch this!"

Robbie Nelson

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2005, 12:29:45 PM »

Sorry for the delay. I will be completing a small project this week that will use the duratex. I'l show pictures of the process and finished result. I might even just make another thread out of it.

Thanks
Tuning Bobcats....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.