ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hearing Loops and induction coils  (Read 10976 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Hearing Loops and induction coils
« on: February 15, 2011, 11:33:59 PM »

I'm being asked to research a bunch of information on augmenting our hearing impaired system with a "hearing loop" or magnetic induction coil system so that people with certain types of hearing aides can use this system to listen to our shows versus the IR or RF assisted listening systems that are more common.

http://www.hearingloop.org/

Does anybody have any kind of experience with something like this?

From what I can tell it looks like a physical wire that surrounds the audience area and transmits a magnetic signal to hearing aides that are equipped with something called a "tele coils". What are the possibilities that something like this would interfere with our microphones, speakers, wireless mics, com systems, other computers and electronic devices that we use to run our shows?

On a side note, where do I need to go to find out what our legal responsibilities are regarding what kind of assisted listening systems we are required to have? We have the more traditional Sennheiser infrared system, but always get lots of complaints regarding it not working, or sounding bad. I'm looking into an RF based system that will eliminate the line of sight issues.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Steve Bunting

• SteveBunting.com
Re: Hearing Loops and induction coils
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:09:13 AM »

As far as interference goes, I've always had problems in venues with a magnetic loop installed inducing whistling in guitar pickups. There was no solution we could find other than turning it off, which the venue were often more than happy to do. Other audio equipment was never an issue.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:57:14 AM »

Assistive listening requirements are part of ADA.  ADA defines when ALS has to be provided and how many people must be served, but does not define how to do it except to some degree for where wired systems are allowed.

Induction loop, RF and IR are all acceptable approaches for wireless systems and each has pros and cons in different applications, for example courtrooms and some corporate boardrooms and theatres use IR to limit the signal from being picked up outside the room.  An induction loop system has to be properly designed for the space and audience area and may not be the most economical or practical choice for large, existing spaces.  It has the advantage of not requiring receivers for those who have hearing aids with T-coils, however anyone else wanting to use it does require a receiver.  Interference is most often a problem with things like guitar pickups, keeping the loop away from the stage usually drops the level enouhg that this is not a factor but if there is minimal distance between performers and the audience it can be a problem.  RF and IR do require everyone to have a receiver but also have the option of personal induction loop antennas that can be connected to the receiver for those with T-Coil hearing aids, in fact supporting this is part of the ADA requirements.  RF and IR also have the possible advantage of being multi-channel if you want to use the system for both assistive listening and interpretation.

A good general summary of the different options can be found here, http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/about/bulletins/als-c.htm.  And the requirements for the US are in the two documents referenced here,http://www.ada.gov/2010ADAstandards_index.htm, you have to dig to find all the relevant information but you might start with Sections 219, 221 and 706 in the first document.

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:11:10 PM »

Ampetronic has some very good white papers on the design and operation of inductive loop systems.  You'll see in their simulation plots just how far and strong the "spill" of the magnetic field is outside the loop;  the field is not contained entirely within the loop.  There are various loop constructions which can really reduce the spillage:  picture a line-array where every other element is out of phase.  Obviously, the design and installation of such a complicated loop system costs a lot more.

Be a little careful with the hearingloop.org website.  While I know they have good hearts and good intentions, they present a VERY one-sided picture.  You can't deny the laws of physics.  If you create a magnetic field, it will be picked up by ALL loops within that field.  Whether or not it causes a problem is a matter of the size and number of turns of the receiving loop and the gain applied to the signal it receives, which is then sent back out through the building's loop, etc.  (Just like acoustic feedback with mics.)  Think about how simple physical separation between the signal and ground wire inside a guitar amp creates a loop -- and the gain then applied by the amp -- and you'll start to get nervous.

Search the old ProSound Web board for inductive or induction and you'll find many horror stories about interference.  Actually, you'll find far fewer stories than I would expect;  but many of them come from Europe, which makes sense, since loops are much more prevalent over there.

I, too, would love to hear more stories (good or horror) from people with loop experience, as I am being pressured to install one in my church -- and I"m scared silly it'll cause interference and be a waste of money.

AnttiR

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 04:58:18 PM »

You can find a suitable area for induction loop a bit further away from stage. The reception level and quality varies depending the distance from the loop-wire. In perfect world, on the way in there's a sign which informs the audience if there's a loop used and also there would be a rough seating map with marked area for the best reception. At least that's how it is or is supposed to be in our country. Normally all churches here have the loop and quite many of the them don't have the whole seating area surrounded by it, just a certain area.

Keep it away from stage, as most of the problems (magnetic pickups and light dimmers) are on stage or closeby it.

AnttiR

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 06:25:08 PM »

Antti brings up an interesting point:

Before installing a loop system it's important to perform a test to verify that the room's background "noise" electromagnetic field is low enough.  No matter how good a loop system you install, if the users' hearing aids pick up too much noise from light dimmers, etc, it will be useless.  Likewise, any future equipment purchases (new lights, HVAC, whatever) must be evaluated.

We all know that FM is the best solution for wireless distributuion;  that's why we use FM for our wireless mics.  I'm just hoping for the day when someone figures out how to squeeze a high-quality FM receiver and antenna into hearing aids.

Jonathan 'JP' Peirce

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »

Justice, take a look at these:

http://www.soundassociates.com/products/infrared/sa652p.jsp

http://www.soundassociates.com/asset/image/product/infrared/sa650nilrec.jpg

I use them with our current IR system. Instead of a loop around the auditorium, it is a 'personal loop'.

JP
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:04:51 PM by Jonathan 'JP' Peirce »

º°¨¨°º©[]© THE NEWTON THEATRE ©[]©º°¨¨°º
                          234 Spring Street
                         Newton, NJ 07860

www.TheNewtonTheatre.com
         www.facebook.com/TheNewtonTheatre
              www.twitter.com/NewtonTheatre

Simon Lewis

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 05:49:47 PM »

What are the possibilities that something like this would interfere with our microphones, speakers, wireless mics, com systems, other computers and electronic devices that we use to run our shows?
Mics, possibly, but I've not had this with any decent dynamic mic. Speakers, not really, wireless etc., no. Single coil guitar picks - yes! There can be some strange ground loop issues with audio frequency induction loop systems.

However, although I appreciate that many will simply turn to RF or IR solutions, AFILS have a number of benefits that are worth pursuing. Firstly, it uses the listener's own aid, so they benefit from the specific hearig aid correction that's applied (as opposed to ear buds or stethoscope). Secondly, it is far easier to manage - no receivers to lend out, collect, charge, check, mend, recover from the visitor who's walking out the door etc. Also, it is much less obvious that the user is making use of an ALS.

There are some drawbacks, and loop spill can be one of them (the advice shown above of putting the loop 'further back' doesn't really work I'm afraid -the signal can be heard several loop diameters outside the loop) but firms like Ampetronic in the UK can design low spill systems using phased arrays that give very tight cut off. It really is worth talking with them.

Some will point out that there is better bandwidth with FM and IR. Well there is for those with good hearing... By the time you really need hearing aids, that part of the auditory spectrum has long since gone, and the loop signal really is just fine..
I have installed many loops in churches over the past 20 years, and only one or two have ever caused problems.

Simon

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 07:13:05 PM »

However, although I appreciate that many will simply turn to RF or IR solutions, AFILS have a number of benefits that are worth pursuing. Firstly, it uses the listener's own aid, so they benefit from the specific hearig aid correction that's applied (as opposed to ear buds or stethoscope).

But is only useful for those with hearing aids, and only for those with the tele coil installed in their hearing aids. Other audience members who don't have hearing aids, or left them at home, or don't have the tele coils installed in their hearing aids will not be able to make use of this kind of a system. So really we're still talking about two separate systems anyway, one RF/IR with a head set/earphones, and one induction loop system for those who are too embarrassed to let anyone else know that they can't hear a damn thing.

Frankly, the new Sennheiser RF conference system, with the optional personal induction loop looks like a much better solution than installing a whole venue wide induction system, which with 5 rooms would likely amount to more than a couple hundred thousand dollars.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Simon Lewis

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 07:32:30 PM »

In your situation, an IR/FM system with the option of personal neckloops would make sense, especially if you have a multiroom system. IR will let you achieve multiple channels for different mix options or translation. You'll still have the operational overhead though.
However, I would suggest that many aid users (with telecoils) would still prefer using a loop. What I didn't take into account was the percentage of aid users who have telecoils fitted - it is likely to be less than the UK...

Simon

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 07:32:30 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.