ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Servo-Drive Bass Tech 7 ?  (Read 27903 times)

Gareth James

Re: Servo-Drive Bass Tech 7 ?
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2005, 06:37:17 PM »

if you want a good test track for subs then prodigy poison (album version) has tones right down to below 30hz...

and if you really want to see cones flapping get a hold of the single and play the second track rat poison.

the extreme LF at the end of the track detached the surround of my dads woofers on his rather expensive classic sansui sp-3500's 14" woofers - back before i knew what port loading was Embarassed

glued my fingers to the surround with superglue fixing the surround back on...hey i was only 14! Rolling Eyes

worked tho...got em on right here as i write this Razz

Johannes Rodin

Re: Servo-Drive Bass Tech 7 ?
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2005, 05:38:41 AM »

Yello  "Pocket Universe" track 2 has some very serious bass with high level down to low twenties. Its my favorite to test basshorns with. A word of warning. It creates very high excursion!

Ivan Beaver

Re: Servo-Drive Bass Tech 7 ?-SDL5's
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2005, 04:01:20 PM »

The old community "boxer" would do a good job of that-or a "levithan" without the hron extensions.  I don't know if either of these are sitll available, but you might try Community.  They are both straight horns with 2x15" drivers.  They don't go real low (you already have that covered) and since they are straight-the upper freq freq will come through fine.
The old JBL 4550 which is also a dual 15" might be another choice.

All of these cabs are sizable however.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Chris Davis

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2005, 05:07:07 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Wed, 12 October 2005 16:01

The old community "boxer" would do a good job of that-or a "levithan" without the hron extensions.  I don't know if either of these are sitll available, but you might try Community.  They are both straight horns with 2x15" drivers.  They don't go real low (you already have that covered) and since they are straight-the upper freq freq will come through fine.

Hi Ivan, I guess the JBL 4550 might be along the lines of what I am looking for.  Since the mention of one three-letter speaker co deserves another,Very Happy I was thinking about the EAW BH853...also discontinued.  That cab almost approached the size of a LAB sub but not quite as deep.

Chris

Tim Duffin

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2005, 08:06:04 PM »

I have never run them over 70Hz--and frankly dont like the sound of them any higher than that.  I believe thats where people start to hate horn loaded subs, whenever the crossover point is too high.

T

Chris Davis

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2005, 09:10:40 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Wed, 12 October 2005 16:01

Hi Ivan, what about the CBS315?  
http://loudspeakers.net/files/specs/new/cbs315.pdf

That cab looks interesting.

Chris

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2005, 09:33:17 PM »

Just about any straight horn would work.  What I find interesting is the spec on that cabinet.  It states 107dB 1W/1M.  However if you look at the graph it never-at any freq gets above 104dB.  That is a 3 db difference. And then the higher spl is only over a very limited range.  Over most of the range you are looking at the level is below 100dB.

I do not have any specs on the cabinets I mentioned-just the memory of years gone by.  I would love to (assuming I had the time and the cabinets) measure some of the "classic" cabinets, espically some of the ones I designed and built that I thought sounded good at the time.  And no matter what the actual sound quality was, they worked well for me and outperformed many of the commerical cabinets I went up against.

But to digress---
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Al Limberg

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2005, 11:13:34 PM »

The combination of triple spider 15s and the cabinet design make me think Community intends this as the sub component of a stadium-type system.  The way the FR rolls off rapidly well below 1k seems to indicate that it might not be the best choice for low mid but then again, I'm just guessing.  I can definitely vouch for the boxers (somewhat modified) in conjunction with the Labs.

Al
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Chris Davis

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2005, 06:25:44 PM »

Al Limberg wrote on Wed, 12 October 2005 23:13

The combination of triple spider 15s and the cabinet design make me think Community intends this as the sub component of a stadium-type system.  The way the FR rolls off rapidly well below 1k seems to indicate that it might not be the best choice for low mid but then again, I'm just guessing.  I can definitely vouch for the boxers (somewhat modified) in conjunction with the Labs.

Al

I guess I'll have to get a look at this "boxer" cab if I can sometime and add that to their list of possibilities, no sign of it anywhere though.
As far as viable prefab choices go, it seems I have only a few at this point.

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2005, 06:48:23 PM »

Quote:

As far as viable prefab choices go, it seems I have only a few at this point.

Viking Audio makes a nice small horn loaded 2 X 15" cab designed for JBLs. Specs say it goes down to 55Hz.  It looks a bit like the old Meyer Sound MSL3s except with an eliptical horn.

http://www.vikingaudio.com/english/mcw/mcw.htm#MCW-2

The discontinued Meyer MSL3s or their current MSL4 would also be a good choice for a full range highpack that has horn loaded woofers.  If you are looking for just a horn loaded woofer box without the highs, the Meyer DS-4p is a dual 12" horn loaded 70-200Hz box.

http://www.meyersound.com/
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.