ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: General speaker-building question  (Read 5498 times)

sheldon harris

Re: General speaker-building question
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 02:50:01 pm »

hello Craig,

i think you need to consider a few things that was already said above: and figure what is the best way forward.

no idea was given as to how large a scale this 70 volt system would be, and what is the media that would be reproduced through it.

take into account, that 70 volt systems tend to attenuate the extreme low and high frequencies.

i had a friend who had the same problem (high school PA system, 100volt lines) he ended up going with two 16 ohm drivers from eminence and a Piezo for high end in each box.he also used Behringer amps (instead of the regular combo 70/100volt amps )and external 100 volt transformers to convert the output to 100volts.

sheldon.
The things we would do in the quest to attain the highest Levels of Sound! the Pressure that is!

Art Welter

Ferrofluid changes?
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 05:37:44 pm »

After completing my new monitor crossovers, and more tests than I ever thought possible, I now doubt that ferrofluid changes or “break in” were the reason for the difference in response I measured in HF response last December.

Turns out 3 of the 8 APTs have a very similar response, and new units recently purchased check out nearly the same as those three 8 year old units.

The other 5 all have differing responses. This could be due to dirt contamination, though they don’t look different than the three “normal” drivers. One “different” driver had a piece of gunk on the diaphragm in the horn throat. I cleaned out the gunk and it tested exactly the same as before the cleaning, darn.

I now suspect the response differences are simply differences in “batches”, maybe  a turn or two more or less wire on these little diaphragms, which affects the raw response, and also the way they respond with the crossover components.

Art Welter
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.