ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover  (Read 68650 times)

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: Reactions to Andy
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2006, 07:43:33 PM »

(Another) Dave Dermont wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 17:27

Oh! Wait... I see, you are being witty! Possibly even trying your hand at sarcasm. I hope your audio skills are more finely honed than your sarcastic wit.

...I can only hope
That dry wit will get you every time Dave.  Wink

Mac

Tom Reid

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2006, 11:37:28 PM »

Quote:

Rane has the AC22, 23, and 24, with delay. The AC24 is a DSP crossover with analog controls, and the AC22 and 23 offer only enough delay for driver alignment within a box, not enough to align the PA with the backline. Andy's response was to your statement that the DRPA was no better than an analog crossover, and I think its features do make it better than an analog crossover. Is it the best DSP available, no, probably not even at the price, but better than analog, yes.

Mac

FWIW. The Ac series had low or mid delay functions.  Not calibrated, and avail. up to 2ms ...and no, I won't do the math and figure out what that's good for  lesson learned, 'nuff said.

The AC's also had jumpers to change the delay feature to the high xover function vs. the low.  There's also a chart to change the CD EQ on the high end by replacing one cap.

Rugged, robust analog xover.  Replaced my Loft ...'cause I kept losing my itty bitty screwdriver ...
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Tom Reid

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2006, 12:28:50 AM »

Brian J. Troup Jr. wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 15:44

How wonderfuly clear you are sir. I can only hope my responses approche the clarity level you so effortlessly achieved.

I can only hope that you provide the same healthy advice for all those non-troll-ish gear owners who are attacking me because I talk highly of Behringer products. Thank you for pointing out that I enjoy posting good things about my experiences with Behringer products and that I advise and help them on where to get these products. Do you track the other peoples comments regarding the DRPA? How about Drawmer gear? I have some of their gear that I love also. Or should I refrain from making any comments regarding sound gear? You forgot to mention that I also always recommend the EWI stuff as well.

I didn't realize what I was saying put me in the "Troll" category. I was not aware this action defined me as troll-ish. Apparently my defnitioin of "Troll" is different than what is called out on this post. I was not aware this was against any of the rules either. My apologies to you. Thank you for taking the time to educate me. I am sure I will heed this advice next post.
Thank you for letting me know that it is OK to call others a "Troll" when they advise or comment repeatedly on the same gear pieces. At least now I know that it is an appropriate thing to do. Obviously since Andy did it without any recourse, and you did it to me as well, it must be the proper thing to do in that situation. Trust me when I say that I know how to learn a lesson. You only need to tell me once for me to learn.

Welp I gotta go. I have a show to do. I hope you all have a great weekend using your Behringer DCX2496's!! I know I will.

Mr. Troup

Oh, Ps. Andy, feel free to PM me if the fine moderator will allow it. My apology for attacking you. I did not know it was ok for you to call me a "Troll". Have a good day sir.

How about shill?

On March 8th

Quote:

I would like to ad my 2 cents.
It would appear that many of the wise people on hear are pointing you in a direction that will be the solution to your problem. I agree with all of them. There is a phase issue without question. However, there is one factor that is being overlooked. I know this factor well because I too had the same issue with VERY similar gear.
The problem I had was identical to yours. I checked every cable from here to the end of the earth. I could not find anything out of phase in the wiring. I even open the cabinets up to check JBL's wiring. Yet nothing seemed to be wrong.
At a show, I had a fellow sound guy come up to me and asked me what was wrong. (He saw me scramling and sweating to make it through the night. Nothing like a rock show with no kick drum thump!) I told him that I am at a loss. I thought I had figured it all out, but obviously I still have the problem.
He looked over my gear and as he was looking over everything he was just nodding his head, mumbling, ah, huh, ah, huh. Until he walked back to my amp racks and saw the problem.
"Take the Driverack PA out of that rack and throw it in the trash" is what he told me. I gasped in shock! What? DBX rules! What was he talking about. He said the DBX is causing the phase issues. he said "I bet you all of my gear that it is the problem." He said if you want digital, go with the Behringer 2496 or spend the money and upgrade the DBX to the 260 or 480.
I obviously could not believe what he just said. Heck, there are presets for the exact speakers I was using built into this unit!! This guy must be trying to throw me off the tracks is all I could think.

But I did what he said. I hooked up the Behringer 2496 and WOW!!
I have yet to clip an amp from this day forth. I have more thump and low end than I have ever needed from that day forth.

Now I do wanna say that I am not a big fan of Behringer and I am always a fan of DBX gear. So in this case I remain baffled, but I now have the problem fixed. I acutally like all the things I can do with the behringer that I could not do with the DRPA.
I also wanna say I am using 4 Yorkville AP3400's on these subs. I cannot comment on your poweramps. I am not big fan of switching amps. I prefer high current amps. They always prove themselves to be excellent on subs.

Perhaps I had a bad DRPA processor. I don't know. But I do know I am happy again.
I hope this helps.

Brian
Hammerhead Audio

But then again, on Apr 27,

Quote:

If you say the Driverack PA is better, or more reliable, you must have never owned one of these DCX2496's!! My 1st DRPA was bad right out of the box!! It took 7 weeks to get another. Once I got it back, I used it for 3 months and it crapped again!!! DBX makes great stuff, but it will be a cold day in hades before I buy another DRPA. It only has half the features of the DCX2496 and has no external interface!! Running back and forth to hear the crossover adjustments I made is reeediculaaaas. It might as well be analog!! DRPA = NO benefit over analog!! I wouldn't mind trying a Driverack 280 or 480 if anyone would wanna sell me one for the price of the DCX2496, I would be happy to buy it!!

I have 2 and I love them. I sold my busted Driverack PA and bought a second DCX2496 for backup and still had some gas money.

Thanks for the info on the RS 232 to XLR!! That is fantastic info!!

Now if someone like John recommends the unit, I would consider it, given threads like this one.

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/121729/2407/#msg _121707

Research, documentation, verfied results win folks over.  Bad mouthing any gear doesn't win friends and influence people.
tom

Gareth James

Re: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2006, 02:17:01 PM »

Brian you might be upset about being called a troll but you must also see that tom, mac and dave all have a point. Continually covering the same ground like you have and bigging up one product while bashing another is quite "troll-like".

To try and sum up though i think there are a few key points to consider about the DCX2496.

As far as I know apart from the occasional "frying egg" problem (which is easily remedied) the unit doesn't seem to have an abnormally large failure rate IMO (from the small amount of DOA reports i've read).

For the money nothing else can beat it for features however its not realistically going to be found in any real pro systems.

Even if the failure rates are up to scratch, or possibly even better than some high end dsps, its just too "cheap" i guess.

Mike Pyle

Re: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2006, 03:48:30 PM »

I'm having no luck finding DEQX references. Is that another make?
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2006, 05:25:15 PM »

Tom Reid wrote on Sat, 20 May 2006 00:28

Now if someone like John recommends the unit, I would consider it, given threads like this one.

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/121729/2407/#msg _121707

Research, documentation, verfied results win folks over.  Bad mouthing any gear doesn't win friends and influence people.

Tom... for clarity's sake.

By John you mean John Horvath?  If so... he obviously is not recommending the DCX... he mistakenly called the DEQ2496 the DCX2496 and confused everyone until stated otherwise.  That thread was focused on a supposed polarity problem on the outputs of the DEQ2496, NOT a DCX.

That said, I don't consider that issue closed.  I saw the same topic come up on alt.audio.pro.live-sound where someone else made measurements and said the polarity flipping problem of the DEQ was completely unfounded.

I'm not trying to troll, but I'd like to see a resolution that issue, and I noticed this link back to that thread.

For the record, I own a DCX and find it to be a well designed and implemented piece of gear.  I also own a DR260 (not the PA) and find it to be a well designed piece of gear.  Given my druthers, I would probably get the 260 again because it's proven itself and has remote monitoring of the limiters which I don't think the DCX has.  That said... for monitors or side fills or front fills or what have you I'd get the DCX.
Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Tom Reid

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2006, 09:11:10 PM »

Dude, you and I can't see eye to eye on most things.
I hope to not start another feud here.
I think this is a forest for the trees thing ...

I have no issue with the DEQ, DCX, nor any piece of gear.
I cheer for things I know about, I claim I don't know about gear that I'm not familiar with, and I don't bash anything execpt maybe Bose and the occaisional slam at the TR series.

I'm using John as an example to explain why 1 product is bad.  Mr. Horvath did his research, gave examples, and explained when he figured out he'd been calling a DEQ a DCX.  And yes, I think I can call John by his first name, after all, he's let me touch his Soundcraft  Embarassed

Consider John's referenced post a good example of how to properly bash something in the community (you actually don't bash ...as in all things you lead by example).  Just like in math class, you gotta show your work unless you're Hawking.

The bone of contention here isn't the DCX.  It's gear bashing, or being a shill, or yes ...maybe even a little trollish (not you Ryan).  We have two different stories about how bad the DRPA was for this dude, and he's been through three of 'em as he states, which is probably enough individual purchases to by a 260 and fuggetaboutit.

Even you don't force gear down our throats Ryan.

peace

tom

Ryan Lantzy

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2006, 10:23:32 PM »

Tom Reid wrote on Sun, 21 May 2006 21:11

Dude, you and I can't see eye to eye on most things.

C'est la vive.

Quote:

I'm using John as an example to explain why 1 product is bad.  Mr. Horvath did his research, gave examples, and explained when he figured out he'd been calling a DEQ a DCX.  And yes, I think I can call John by his first name, after all, he's let me touch his Soundcraft  Embarassed

Consider John's referenced post a good example of how to properly bash something in the community (you actually don't bash ...as in all things you lead by example).  Just like in math class, you gotta show your work unless you're Hawking.

I agree with your points, just not with your link.  SO far that issue has been on the top of my list of things to track down, so when I see a post talking about either unit I've been interested.   So far, I haven't gotten a reply from Mr. Horvath.  Not saying he's ignoring me or anything, it's only been a few days and I'm sure he's busy like everyone else.  I just want to see a difinitive solution.  So far, the evidence I have is one person says it's got a polarity issue.  Another person tested it and says it doesn't.  I have a response from behringer saying they know nothing of the issue but DO admit to the problem in ONE isolated case of an ADA8000 that was mis-assembled in the factory.  Yet that post has not been amended with any further info.  Due to it's realtively qualified status (smaart graphs et al.) I fear it will become the bible of the DEQ.

Quote:

The bone of contention here isn't the DCX.  It's gear bashing, or being a shill, or yes ...maybe even a little trollish (not you Ryan).  

THIS we see eye to eye on.

Quote:

Even you don't force gear down our throats Ryan.

Thanks.  I will however warn someone when they are making an uneducated purchasing decision.  As would you.
Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
DCX2496 Behringer Crossover unavailable
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2006, 07:51:17 PM »

Does anyone here know why these things are still unavailable????

I can't even find them on EBAY UK which covers Europe.

Antone-

Ryan Lantzy

Re: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover unavailable
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2006, 12:03:19 AM »

High demand?

They have had trouble keeping these in stock most places.  Musicians Friend lists an arrival date of July 1st.

I'd get on one of the big retailers backordered list if you want one.
Ryan Lantzy
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.