ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover  (Read 68646 times)

ThomasA(lbenberger)

Re: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2006, 08:54:34 AM »

I have one which went frying eggs last week. It was purchased in 2004. No time to try repairing it so far, let's see if I can fix it.

The other one I own was purchased one year earlier and also started to exhibit this problem a couple of weeks ago. The first attempt to repair it (ie insulate the XLR pins from the chassis) was not successful. After opening the unit up a second time for disconnecting and reseating re-seating the bus cable to the computer connectors PCB it worked again. Still I don't trust the unit...

Sorry, I can't tell you the manufacturing dates since I don't have access to them for another week or so. Still, 2 out of 2 going bad within 2 months may serve as a warning for your plans to purchase this product.

Regards, Thomas
Thomas Albenberger

Ted Christensen

• http://TBA
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2006, 09:50:01 AM »

I have had mine for about a little over 2 months, no problems yet..Theres good behringer and bad behringer with these units, some work well, others are just defective.
Ted Christensen
320-491-6422

Clive Milne

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2006, 09:55:25 AM »

Had the DCX and found the sound quality passable but not stellar, also experienced the output crackle. Resigned myself to the fact that you get what you pay for.
Upgraded to a DEQX, ...  WOW, a quantum leap in every context.
Big $, but no regrets. I could not concieve of the idea of going back to the DCX for a 'hobby' application, never mind as a professional piece of equipment.
 Truly wish it was otherwise.
opinion only
fwiw) ~C

Tim Link

• http://www.underwaterforest.com
Fishpaper under the XLR board
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2006, 03:34:44 AM »

Yes!

Thank you so much for this advise! My DCXs are both perfectly quiet again.
It's been predestined all along!

Brian J. Troup Jr.

Re: Fishpaper under the XLR board
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2006, 04:39:18 PM »

If you say the Driverack PA is better, or more reliable, you must have never owned one of these DCX2496's!! My 1st DRPA was bad right out of the box!!  It took 7 weeks to get another. Once I got it back, I used it for 3 months and it crapped again!!!   DBX makes great stuff, but it will be a cold day in hades before I buy another DRPA. It only has half the features of the DCX2496 and has no external interface!! Running back and forth to hear the crossover adjustments I made is reeediculaaaas. It might as well be analog!! DRPA = NO benefit over analog!! I wouldn't mind trying a Driverack 280 or 480 if anyone would wanna sell me one for the price of the DCX2496, I would be happy to buy it!!

I have 2 and I love them. I sold my busted Driverack PA and bought a second DCX2496 for backup and still had some gas money.  

Thanks for the info on the RS 232 to XLR!! That is fantastic info!!

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
Re: Fishpaper under the XLR board
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2006, 05:32:46 PM »

Brian J. Troup Jr. wrote on Thu, 27 April 2006 13:39

It only has half the features of the DCX2496 and has no external interface!! Running back and forth to hear the crossover adjustments I made is reeediculaaaas.

So why isn't in your drive rack at FOH instead of in the amp rack?  Not enough return lines in your drive snake?

Quote:

It might as well be analog!! DRPA = NO benefit over analog!!

OK, troll, show me an analog processor with up to 11 ms delay on each passband.  And one where the 3 dB points for each filter are independent (i.e., mid low-pass point can be different from low hi-pass point) and can have different alignments (Butterworth or LR or whatever).

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Gareth James

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2006, 10:51:14 AM »

I think the DRPA is quite a step up compared to analog as andy so eloquently pointed out  Very Happy

I do agree that the DCX has more features though, only thing i found lacking was the number of eqs...which incidentally later firmware updates have improved massively!

Clive...what exactly about the DCX's sound quality bothered you? You say it wasn't stellar...maybe your opinion was biased by the fact you essentially had a "faulty" unit (frying egg sounds).

I've been nothing but impressed with mine, i haven't had any issues with the "quality" of sound...took me a while to set it up how i wanted it though.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: Reactions to Andy
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2006, 01:59:38 PM »

Brian J. Troup Jr. wrote on Wed, 17 May 2006 13:30

It only has half the features of the DCX2496 and has no external interface!! Running back and forth to hear the crossover adjustments I made is reeediculaaaas.
Why are you changing crossover settings on site?
Brian J. Troup Jr. wrote on Wed, 17 May 2006 13:30

If you must know I run my 6 monitor sends and my L-R FOH sends down my eight returns in my FOH snake. Thanks to the Behringer, I don't need to keep my crossovers/processors in my FOH rack such as you suggest. ( I am curious though, how do you run a stereo 4 way system and 6 biamped monitor feeds down your "Drive" snake?)
I'd rather put a Peavey POS in my rack than another over-rated DRPA in my racks.
PS. Check out some of Ashley's analog crossovers. Check out the Rane stuff too. Maybe you'll learn the answers to you infantile question.
How do you run 20 channels down your drive snake? You use a 20 pair drive snake. While I personally don't want the crossovers at FOH, it is pretty common in the touring concert world, and it is done with the right sized snake. Which of Ashly's ar Rane's analog crossovers have the features Andy mentioned? I just spent some time looking and couldn't find any. Rane has the AC22, 23, and 24, with delay. The AC24 is a DSP crossover with analog controls, and the AC22 and 23 offer only enough delay for driver alignment within a box, not enough to align the PA with the backline. Andy's response was to your statement that the DRPA was no better than an analog crossover, and I think its features do make it better than an analog crossover. Is it the best DSP available, no, probably not even at the price, but better than analog, yes.

Mac

Brian J. Troup Jr.

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2006, 11:17:41 AM »

I change Crossover setting on site because every venue is different. Don't you?
Obviously, running a 20 channel "Drive" snake isn't something I would like to do. I would rather run 1 RS232/XLR cable, and put the DCX2496's in the racks were they belong. If I ran a simple 2 way system with 2 or 3 full range monitor mixes, I may have put the unit in my FOH, and I can see why some people do it. Especially if your a DRPA owner with a small system, and your trying to align your FOH or pinking a room.

I assume everyone is questioning my statements because they feel they need to. If running a 20 channel "Drive" snake is what you need to do, then do it. My choice is not to because of the conveniences this berhinger offers. There are other people doing the same thing as me with the DR260's, 460's, and 480's. Do they get called a "Troll" as well? I am sure if you ask them "Why are your changing your crossover" or "Why isn't it in your FOH rack", they would give you similar answers.
So while you ask me questions, assuming that I do not know what I am talking about, I am sitting here wondering why you would even ask me such questions.

As far as a specific analog unit that does what the DRPA does, there isn't one. My simple point was that back in the days of analog, there were processors that did everything the DRPA does. This is what most of us used back then. The only advantage between then and now is that the DRPA has it all in one space. Besides that, and maybe some small cost savings, it is no more advantagous than the days of old. At least with the Behringer DCX2496, I have total control of all features from my cozy FOH position. THAT is the advantage I am stressing. Do I need to articulate it any better?

Now, besides everyone trying to bash what I say, I hope the point is clear that when I said I like the Behringer DCX2496, I meant it. It does for me what the DRPA cannot do and does it for less money.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2006, 11:52:46 AM »

Brian J. Troup Jr. wrote on Thu, 18 May 2006 11:17

I change Crossover setting on site because every venue is different. Don't you?
Absolutely NOT! Crossover settings are not room or content dependent. They relate very specifically to the speaker in question and once optimized should not be changed.
Brian J. Troup Jr. wrote on Thu, 18 May 2006 11:17

As far as a specific analog unit that does what the DRPA does, there isn't one.
And that is what Andy pointed out.

Mac
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.