ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover  (Read 68606 times)

Greg Green

Re: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2005, 12:02:05 PM »

Michal:

It's a basic 3 wire serial cable. Pin 2, 3 and 5. Straight thru from DCX to your serial port, or in my case usb to serial adapter on the laptop( eg. pin 2 - 2, 3 - 3, 5- 5). I cut an xlr mike cable in half and used the male xlr end to connect to the DCX 9-pin adapter. Dcx end pin 2<<->> 2 xlr , dcx 3<<->> 3 xlr, dcx 5<<->> 1 xlr. See the hopefully attached picture.
This end will plug into the snake , just like a mic. The female xlr end is wired the same. Mine works on a 100ft snake with no problems.

Good luck!
IHS

Rick Byers

• http://www.lost-dogs.info
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 09:57:16 AM »

Psuedo, do you ever hit any cable length issues from running RS232 down multicore?

I have just got a 2496 for my 'B' rig (I have a DR PA onthe main) and am loving it so far.

One query I have is that the input levels on it don't match the output levels on my Mackie 1604VLZ desk.  They are quite a bitt different which is causing me problems when trying to set gain structure through the system.  Any idea on this?

Also I can't find the facility to 'pink' the room.  Any clue would be helpful.

These are just learning curve things for me and overall impressions are good.

Rick Byers

Ray Abbitt

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 06:08:41 PM »

RickB wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 06:57

One query I have is that the input levels on it don't match the output levels on my Mackie 1604VLZ desk.  They are quite a bitt different which is causing me problems when trying to set gain structure through the system.  Any idea on this?
Ummm, how about the adjusting the input gain if necessary? See section 4.3 in the manual (page 15 in the English version) and the output gain (section 4.5 in the manual).
Quote:

The reason you can't find it is because it isn't there. You can auto correct for delay and speaker polarity, but it isn't an equalizer, so it uses an impulse signal. See section 4.2.2 in the manual. If you want to 'pink' the room, you need something in addition to the DXC2496, both to provide the signal and to provide the adjustments. The DCX2496 is really designed to be used along with the DEQ2496 EQ, which does provide those capabilities. They make a nice combination.
Quote:

These are just learning curve things for me and overall impressions are good.
Now that you have played with it a bit, go back and read the manual (it may not be the best, but it does have some useful info)

-ray

Rick Byers

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2005, 04:05:15 AM »

RTFM for me then!!!

Thanks for the pointers.

I'll dig out the Ultracurve 8024 in the monitor rack and have a play.

Ray Abbitt

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 01:43:22 PM »

RickB wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 01:05

RTFM for me then!!!
Hey, I tried not to say it like that Very Happy  But when I first got my first one the manual was almost completely useless until I played with the unit a bit. After that, the manual made a bit more sense, although it certainly isn't much of a manual for this complex of a piece of gear. But I've been really happy with the combination of the DEQ2496/DCX2496 and not had a bit of trouble with them.

-ray

Rick Byers

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2005, 03:59:49 AM »

No offense taken!!

I think it was not the best method of attack trying to use teh DCX like the DRPA.

I do like the PC interface though, brilliant addition to a low cost product like this.

DBX take note!!

Greg Green

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2005, 11:48:55 AM »

[quote title=RickB wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 08:57]Psuedo, do you ever hit any cable length issues from running RS232 down multicore?
For basic tx/rcv w/ground, depending on the rec/drivers the DCX is using, should go 300 ft easy (at least any 19200baud data line can do this. UTP is limited to 100m).

This may be old news to everyone, but Allen & Heath have a downloadable rta program ( free to try , $10 to buy) that is a 1/3 octave rta and built in white and pink noise generator. http://www.allen-heath.com/rta.asp I had to have an external audio interface to provide the reference mic phantom power but works great to "pink out" a room and see what is going on for very little $$.
Of course it is no substitue for Smaart but then again its not $600 or whatever it is now  Cool

IHS

Brad Harris

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 08:32:08 AM »

Rick Byers wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 09:57

Psuedo, do you ever hit any cable length issues from running RS232 down multicore?
... Rick Byers

I've found that 600' is fine and somewhere between there and 750' doesn't work (havn't gone to find out yet, just used my 150' snake for initial 'how far can I go' testing).

I hacked up old PS2-232 adapters, the more expensive ($5) ones are easier to work with, than the cheaper ($2) ones.

Brad Harris

David Dellifield

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2006, 02:32:14 PM »

John Alan Horvath wrote on Mon, 03 October 2005 12:32

As far as the frying egg sound, I heard the crackling with mine, so I immediately searched for the fix.  Fishpaper, or any non-conductive material placed under the XLR board fixes the problem.  For months now since fixing it, mine has been out in the clubs atleast 2 nights a week, without a single crackle or pop.

Does anyone know what date code of these egg frying units was?  I am looking at one right now and was curious if anyone knew?  Thanks.

David

Rodney Connelly

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2006, 06:32:29 PM »

I bought 3 of them.  number one worked just fine, and is still going today.  Number 2 worked for about 3 weeks, and started shutting down, and losing channels.  I bought number 3 to replace number 2, and it was defective out of the box.  In comparison to the dbx units I own, the configureation options on the 2496 are weak, and it doesn't have much power.  I would only purchase this unit again for non critical applications
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.