ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover  (Read 68907 times)

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
Re: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2006, 01:48:08 PM »

Gareth James wrote on Sat, 02 September 2006 09:33

Off topic a little now but concerning remote processor control, wouldn't USB have a shorter range than a serial link? I might be imagining this.

Would wireless ever be a potential for this kind of job? I know it introduces a whole other set of problems but...

The maximum distance allowable for USB connections without a hub is 5 meters.  You would need to chain several cables together with hubs to get any distance.

I was looking around on google and found these:

http://bb-elec.com/product_family.asp?FamilyId=148
http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-47-1919.html

So it appears that there are some products that will convert the signal to something that can be sent a longer distance, andthen back again.  Kinda pricey IMO...

Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Chris Davis

« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2006, 03:17:39 PM »

Some extender options from a well respected industrial supplier
(warning: not for the cheap at heart Laughing ):
http://www.blackbox.com/Catalog/Category.aspx?cid=308,1431,1 432

Ivan Beaver

Re: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover-Behrigner did good!
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2006, 08:54:23 PM »

I just found out today that our "pile", Which had grown to 8 units, that Behringer took them all back-all (or at least most) were out of warranty, and gave us a credit.

That was good of them.

Let's just hope that the other many-many units don't have a problem, but I am not holding my breath.

For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2006, 10:03:00 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Thu, 14 September 2006 20:54

I just found out today that our "pile", Which had grown to 8 units, that Behringer took them all back-all (or at least most) were out of warranty, and gave us a credit.

That was good of them.

Let's just hope that the other many-many units don't have a problem, but I am not holding my breath.

Good to hear Ivan!  I'm glad they didn't totally screw you.  

Curious... 8 units out of how many?  We're these all purchased as a batch or very near each other?  Let's hope the issues were centered around a certain period or batch of units.
Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2006, 05:59:03 PM »

We have installed something like 150 or so units.  Just a guess.  They were purchased over a time period of more than a year.  They have already been sent back, so I don't have access to the serial numbers to check that, sorry.

I hope they have it fixed, however we will not use them again.  It is simply not worth the risk.  I kinda liked the little unit-when it was working.  It does things our current replacements don't.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Too Tall (Curtis H. List)

Re: Reactions to Andy
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2006, 05:27:23 PM »

Brian J. Troup Jr. wrote on Thu, 18 May 2006 11:17

I change Crossover setting on site because every venue is different. Don't you?

Snip-

Typically once above the bar and nightclub level the xover is set and stays. Even at the bar star level if I was messing with the xover it meant the system had changed or I never had it right in the first place.
This is for the typical FOH left and right system. As you add more elements things change and you may have to go back to the xover depending on overlap.

The other big factor is the mixing console. In fact in the end it has the greatest impact.

If you have enough channel EQ to make a SM58 sound decent you should not need to change the xover.
OTOH if you have a board with little to no EQ on the channels you use the main EQ and finally the xover to compensate for lack of channel EQ. I ended up picking and buying the best microphones I could afford so I did not need channel EQ.

Too Tall
        Curtis H. List    
             Bridgeport, Mich.   
        I.A.T.S.E. Local # 274 (Gold Card)
        Lansing, Mich
Independent Live Sound Engineer (and I'm Tall Too!)

Robert Fielder

• http://www.coolcountrynights.com
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2006, 10:05:39 AM »

Having scanned through this, and a few other, discussions, I get the impression that a lot of people believe that the DCX2496 Behringer Crossover is as good as, or better than, the dbx Driverack PA.

The DCX2496 does not do everything the DRPA does - for example, the DCX2496 does not have a feedback killer. To do that, you need to also run the Behringer feedback destroyer. It sounds like putting those together gives you a DRPA plus additional functionality.

It also sounds like a lot of people would have kept using the DCX2496 except for one flaw, which may or may not be a design flaw. The flaw can be fixed. In reality, who wants to spend the time and money buying something, than having to fix it? But, if you get a good one, pretty much everyone who has actually used the DCX2496 only says good things about it. Even those who had them fail, have a lot of good things to say.

I am considering the purchase of a DRPA, a DR 260, or a Behringer setup. The DRPA and the two Behringer units will cost about the same, but the Behringer units seem to offer additional features, as well as faster response time on the feedback killer. The DR 260 costs about twice the DRPA in my area - and I am not sure if offer a lot more than the two Behringer units.

Like many, if I can get the functionality and reliability, and most importantly the SOUND QUALITY, and save $500 to $700 in the deal, I will go with the less expensive units. That cash saved can be put towards other stuff I need - would mean buying better quality speakers, for example.

Carrying two units instead of one is not a good thing, but there will be room in the rack I am designing, and the weight change is not all that great. Both the DRPA and the DR260 list as 5.5 pounds, while the combination of DCX2496 and FBQ2496 is just under 11 pounts. No doubt, at the end of a long, long night, that extra 5.5 pounds will feel like a lot more!

Any comments or advice? I will not be purchasing until 2007, but I am spending a lot of time researching, and using, the equipment that interests me.

Tomorrow, I will be doing an all day workshop and evening dance using a DRPA, with a Yorkville A4.4 amp, two E12 Elite speakers, Elite LS700p sub, and Numark PPD9000 mixer, along with various other bits and pieces, such as AT wireless mics, PCs, laptops, CD player, etc, etc.
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
http://www.coolcountrynights.com

Robert Fielder

• http://www.coolcountrynights.com
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2006, 10:06:30 AM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Fri, 15 September 2006 17:59

I hope they have it fixed, however we will not use them again.  It is simply not worth the risk.  I kinda liked the little unit-when it was working.  It does things our current replacements don't.

Can you say what you replaced them with?
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
http://www.coolcountrynights.com

Mario Salazar

« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2007, 03:56:57 PM »

I have read all 8 pages of this thread.  I am interested because I have been happy with my DEQ2496 but not so much with the dbx 260.  I can do aux feed subs because it only has 2 inputs and the networking is non existent.  Additionally there have been troubles using them wirelessly.  I thought I would take a look at the DCX2496 because it has 3 ins.  I know the feature set of the DEQ2496 blows away what I can do with my 260, though really, they are not meant to do the same thing.  The only problem I have with the deq2496 is that if I insert it into the signal path that has been set up just below feedback, I start to get feed back, even without anything turned on.  This is curious and if anybody has thoughts on this I would appreciate it.
Back to the DCX, what are your recent experiences with it?  If I bought one I would put the fishpaper in there, but other than that is there any other problems with it?
Let me know any comments, suggestions or questions you have on this issue.
Thanks!
Regards,
Mario

Mark "Bass Pig" Weiss

• http://www.basspig.com
« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2007, 02:30:28 AM »

2 years in service here, no problems to report. I do get a lot of compliments on how much better my system sounds though.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.