ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover  (Read 68607 times)

Gareth Marsh

Re: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 09:56:42 PM »

we've had ours for about a month. I thought it would be hard to figure out the controls, but the software fixed that, and it works on windows 98 too, even though they say it is "no longer supported"

David Gunnardo

• http://www.davidsljudteknik.se
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 05:09:22 AM »

Its indeed possible that the dbx-units has the same failure-rate as the behringer, what i meant was that it feels easier to explain to a customer that "yeah, this $1000 unit from famous X failed tonight" rather than "oh, my crossover, that costs 1/3 of the cheapest comparable unit, failed"..

Davids Ljudteknik, Sweden.
www.davidsljudteknik.se

Gareth James

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 01:45:04 PM »

Having been a little wary about the frying egg problem at first, I eventually decided to buy the ultradrive and have been nothing but impressed with it.

I agree with Klark though, I'd rather buy 2 Ultradrives and be sure the show can go on... a pissed off band member won't care how much money something cost if it means the shows over...

Adam Kane

Re: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover (new news)
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 03:44:29 PM »

I just spoke with our Behringer rep earlier today...slightly different story than last time.

He said that they had two large runs (didn't tell me how many) where the output XLR pins were sticking too far through the PCB and coming in contact w/ the case.  Throughout the last month or so, most all of the bad units not yet sold have been taken out of circulation.  The production problem has been remedied and all new units have been fine to the best of his knowledge.

Take this how you want...I'm just relaying what I was told.

I just took one of the faulty units and trimmed the connector pins slightly.  I then put a couple layers of electrical tape on the metal case under the PCB.  I hooked it up and the noise seems to be gone...even when I reefed on the connectors.

If they're really OK again, we may start using them for the monitor rig or other rental systems.  But I'm still a little too scared to use any more of them for perm. installs.

Davide_Bonetti

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2005, 09:27:06 AM »

this DSP is so cheap that I will buy one to try it. I will eventually throw it on ebay if I don't like it........  Razz

if I like it I will buy the second..... with 3in/6out I can have 6 biamped monitors in 2U rack space.......

Greg Green

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 12:29:43 PM »

I had to think hard and long about purchasing the DCX (it is a behringer Laughing) but have been very pleased with its performance as the primary speaker management piece for mains and subs for our band. The main reason I did chose it was for the remote management software. The DRPA did not have this in the low end unit. The DCX remote allows me to leave the unit mounted in the amp rack on stage and run a serial cable through the snake back to the console. Since I have the laptop for other uses anyway(rta, etc) its very nice. It is also easy to use a mouse to easily make freq and level changes rather than the big knob & buttons on the unit. My past experience has been Behringer service is s-l-o-w but they have so far come thru on warranty work. For the $$ and ease of use, its not too bad....
IHS

David Gunnardo

• http://www.davidsljudteknik.se
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2005, 06:00:22 AM »

Gareth James wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 19:45

a pissed off band member won't care how much money something cost if it means the shows over...

I know that if i as a BE had to end a concert after 10 minutes because of the NoName amps shutting down, i would be A LOT more pissed than if it was a number of LAB-gruppens or Crowns that went down. Smile

Davids Ljudteknik, Sweden.
www.davidsljudteknik.se

Gareth James

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2005, 10:34:17 AM »

Sorry Dave, I don't think I made myself clear on that comment. I was referring more to the OP's DSP issue, althought the behringer unit was known for some models having the crackling issue, overall reliability seems good so far, as in I haven't seen any stories of outright failure.

My point was, taking into account this information and comparative pricing of the units, the chance of 2 behringers failing compared to one driverack pa must surely be much lower.

Not that either unit seems unreliable so far, I simply believe that although people are still very sceptical of a behringer product (or any product that is priced less than half of competing products), they seem to get the job done.

As far as amps go, yeah I'll happily concede on that point, if its amp failure that brings down a gig I'd be more sympathetic to the provider if they were world reknowned brand such as QSC, Crown, LAB etc.

Sorry for any confusion!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 09:01:58 PM »

Gareth James wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 10:34

if its amp failure that brings down a gig I'd be more sympathetic to the provider if they were world reknowned brand such as QSC, Crown, LAB etc.

Sorry for any confusion!

I heard of Hartley Peavey once was asked what a person should look for in an amp.  He replied "One that works!"  I guess it is kind of like driving a luxery car that always breaks down. Oh thats a "so and so" car and they are picky like that-but it is a ???? and I paid a lot of money for it. And the Camry keeps on going and going and-----.

I have installed hundreds of DSP's. Maybe half of them Behringers on lower end jobs.  I have had WAY more "quality" DSP's (including Ashley-Crown-Shure-Bi-amp) fail than the DCX2496's.  I have only had only 3 frying bacon sounds and they were replaced by Behringer.  The bacon sound is an annoyance-not complete failure or random lowering of levels etc.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

michal Bogdiukiewicz

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 02:27:58 PM »

psuedo FOH dude  I noticed you had a DCX2496 Behringer Crossover and were using a serial to XLR adapter to send the signal down you snake and was wondering if you could tell me what pins in the serial plug you used as I have tried making an adapter with no luck.

Michal

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 17 queries.