ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley Sound Labs SH-50 and TH-115  (Read 8149 times)

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

• http://cobrasound.com
Danley Sound Labs SH-50 and TH-115
« on: March 20, 2007, 01:40:21 PM »

We just had our first major event with the Danley Sound Labs SH-50 and TH-115 cabinets.  Each pair of cabinets (run in parallel) were powered by a bridged QSC Audio PLX-3602.  A Sabine Navigator 3600 was used to provide basic crossover functionality: the SH-50's were high-passed at 100 Hz, 24 dB LR and the TH-115's were low-passed at 90 Hz 24 dB LR (also with a 25 Hz 24 dB LR high pass).  The TH-115's were run off of an Aux send from the TT24 console.

The gig was a one day bluegrass music festival in the Williamsport Community Arts Center on St. Patrick's Day.  Two SH-50's were arrayed on top of two TH-115's placed on their sides in the small wings on each side of the stage.  This room seats a total of 2200 with a decent portion of those seats in a balcony.  Since we weren't anticipating anywhere near a full house, I was primarily concerned with achieving adequate coverage of the main floor.

We were fairly pressed on time during load-in (the first show was at 2pm) so I didn't have much/if any time to tweak the rig.  After we had things fired up though, I quickly realized that NO tweaking would be required!  For the vast majority of the performers and their respective inputs I did not have to do any equalization to get the tonality and mix that I was looking for.  Only light and basic bass roll-off and other very minor tweaks were dialed in simply for taste.  

The SH-50's had incredible clarity and gain before feedback straight out of the box.  They arrayed practically seamlessly and their sound quality and response was even throughout their intended coverage area.  The most impressive aspect of the SH-50's was their naturalness and complete lack of harshness.  You could walk right up to the cabinets during the show and they just got louder as you moved closer - remaining smooth the entire time.  This was one of the first events we have ever done where I could simply sit down and enjoy how good the show sounded.

The TH-115's reproduced the nuances of the upright acoustic bass with authority and appeared to have nearly limitless power.  Their low-end extension was something I have been craving for a long time.  I've had decent subwoofers before (Yorkville LS800PB's) but they weren't anywhere near as loud, low, and accurate as the TH-115's.  When a well played and balanced bass was on stage it was a pure thing of beauty.  The extra weight of the low E string was accurately reproduced and added enhanced aura and feel to the music without the bass being too loud.

In summary, I can state that we are very happy our purchase of the Danley rig and can't wait to use it at our larger outdoor events this summer.  It was a sizable investment for us, that we didn't take lightly, but after this experience it was probably one of the best investments that we will ever make.  Some pictures of the event are available at the following link (unfortunately we didn't get any good beauty shots of the Danley rig).   http://cobrasound.com/cobrasound_gallery/livesound/LupusCAC0 7/

Jeff

PS. Dealer disclaimer applies but I try to keep the BS to a minimum.  Wink
Cobra Sound
An authorized Allen&Heath, Ashly Audio, Audio-Technica, Audix, Da-Lite, Danley Sound Labs, FBT, Mackie, QSC Audio, RCF, Sabine, Sennheiser, Whirlwind, and Yorkville Sound dealer.

andrew gissing

• http://www.stylusra.com.au
Re: Danley Sound Labs SH-50 and TH-115
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 07:07:13 PM »

About 6 months or so ago there was a thread about 2 SH50's over TH115 in a church, and this thread developed into a discussion about how to elevate the SH50's over the 115s.

I thought i'd ask you what you did this time - was elevation a problem ? Seems to me that 2 115's on their side is about the same as one 115 standing up ?

Andrew

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 10:39:08 PM »

Excellent report. Not surprised you liked the sound.  Smile

Can you go a little more into why you underlapped the tops and subs? Is it because of the way they act when paired in twos? Something else? Also: is there any delay or physical offset needed on one bandpass relative to the other to align them on impulses? Or was it zero added delay?

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Michael Hedden Jr.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 08:40:10 AM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Wed, 21 March 2007 02:39

Excellent report. Not surprised you liked the sound.  Smile

Can you go a little more into why you underlapped the tops and subs? Is it because of the way they act when paired in twos? Something else? Also: is there any delay or physical offset needed on one bandpass relative to the other to align them on impulses?
-Bink

Bink,
I don't know Jeff's reasons behind his set up but I can tell you that the SH50 is very comfortable down to 50 Hz and in fact has as much acoustic output at 50 Hz as a 2-18" sub.
A two wide SH50 horizontal cluster works very well in fact we have Pat Brown's gathered CLF and EASE data of that array on our website.
With regards to the subs and tops working as a single system we can supply optimized settings based on a given configuration.
If you want close to two octaves more horizontal pattern control stack and splay the SH50s.  This is old school but physics isn't a suggestion, its the law.

Thanks

Mike Hedden

Jeff Knorr - Cobra Sound

• http://cobrasound.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 09:52:31 AM »

Andrew - Elevation wasn't much of a concern because the stacks were placed on the already elevated side (sound) wings of the stage (approx 4 feet off the floor).  With the TH-115's on their sides that bought us about another 20" or so of height before we arrayed the SH-50's.  We will most likely be using scaffold (or buying more subs Wink) to reach the desired height outdoors.

Bink - The system was not optimized at all.  It was totally plug and play because I did not have the additional time to ensure proper alignment between the tops and subs.  I underlapped the crossover point because I have had good success doing that with our previous rig and it seemed to work well with the Danley's too (although again I didn't have time for proper alignment using any analysis tools or critical listening before the house doors opened).

Mike - Please post Danley's recommended crossover and alignment settings for the TH-115/SH-50.  I know Ivan has posted some previously that are intended to really integrate the two cabinets but I'm not sure how well they'll work with the TH-115's run off of an aux send.  I guess I have some experimenting to do.  What I would like to see is recommended crossover points/types/slopes and delay.  Maybe some EQ if needed as well. Basically a more simplified version of what Ivan posted.  Or feel free to tell me that Ivan's post was the way to go and that's the way they should be run. Wink

Jeff
Cobra Sound
An authorized Allen&Heath, Ashly Audio, Audio-Technica, Audix, Da-Lite, Danley Sound Labs, FBT, Mackie, QSC Audio, RCF, Sabine, Sennheiser, Whirlwind, and Yorkville Sound dealer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.