ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover  (Read 68642 times)

R.Boudreaux

• http://www.easystreetpro.com
DCX2496 Behringer Crossover
« on: October 02, 2005, 09:53:12 AM »

Just purchased the DCX2496 crossover and wanted some input of anyone lately had problems with the unit?  I hooked it up today and it seems to have an excellent sound.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: DCX2496 Behringer Crossover
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 02:03:01 PM »

R.Boudreaux wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 09:53

Just purchased the DCX2496 crossover and wanted some input of anyone lately had problems with the unit?  I hooked it up today and it seems to have an excellent sound.
Did it occur to you to ask those questions before you bought the unit? What is the point of getting someone else's opinion now? The time to do research on a purchase is before the purchase.

Mac

RicBlade

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 11:04:51 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 14:03

R.Boudreaux wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 09:53

Did it occur to you to ask those questions before you bought the unit? What is the point of getting someone else's opinion now? The time to do research on a purchase is before the purchase.

Mac

My thoughts exactly...

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 12:51:54 AM »

Yes, it's usually a good idea to ask before you make a purchase, but anyway..

If you'd had used the 'Search' function, you'd have seen that there is much controversy surrounding this unit.  I got tired of one person saying that it was garbage, and another person saying that it's unbelievable for the money.  So, I bought one to do my own research and fortunately I had a dbx Driverack PA on hand to do some side by side comparison.  Too make a long story short, the difference in audio quality between the two units was apparent enough for my girlfriend to ask "The silver one sounds better, but why does it cost so much less than the dark one?"

I have since sold the Driverack PA and purchased another DCX2496.
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

David Gunnardo

• http://www.davidsljudteknik.se
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 11:49:19 AM »

Klark wrote on Mon, 03 October 2005 06:51

Yes, it's usually a good idea to ask before you make a purchase, but anyway..

If you'd had used the 'Search' function, you'd have seen that there is much controversy surrounding this unit.  I got tired of one person saying that it was garbage, and another person saying that it's unbelievable for the money.  So, I bought one to do my own research and fortunately I had a dbx Driverack PA on hand to do some side by side comparison.  Too make a long story short, the difference in audio quality between the two units was apparent enough for my girlfriend to ask "The silver one sounds better, but why does it cost so much less than the dark one?"

I have since sold the Driverack PA and purchased another DCX2496.

in what way is the behringer better?

higher s/n-ratio? "cleaner" sound? easier to use?

i'm really interested since i have a Driverack PA but would like something with 3 inputs.
Davids Ljudteknik, Sweden.
www.davidsljudteknik.se

Adam Kane

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 12:23:24 PM »

The Ultradrive is a great sounding unit...only problem is the frying egg sound that we've experienced recently.  Do a search on this and you'll find that there were a bunch of them with this problem.

We'd been using them for outdoor rigs and installs for quite a while with no problems.  Easy to set up and navigate...user friendly. Then all of a sudden, four of the most recent install customers were calling, saying that they were hearing this loud frying egg sound coming from the speakers.  We swapped them out with new ones.  Two weeks later with one of the churches and a portable rig,  SAME THING!!!  Quite embarassing to say the least...we no longer use them for installations.  We ended up switching the church unit with an ALTO Maxidrive 3.4 and have had no problems for a couple of months now.

I've heard (not from Behringer) that there was a bad run of only a few hundred pieces which makes sense because of how many we'd used with no problems.  I've read about a couple of temporary fixes...haven't tried them.

When we called Behringer to inquire about service and to see if the problem had been remedied in recent units, they told us that they haven't heard of any problems with them (HA!) Evil or Very Mad

Anyway...(sorry for going off) if you get one that was properly constructed (the problem is in the PCB at the rear jack panel) they're great sounding units that are easy to use.  But for such a crucial part of the system, I'd rather quote products from DBX, Ashly, Rane, even Alto.  

John Horvath

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 12:32:14 PM »

The noise floor seemed to be about the same.  And yes, it's obviously cleaner.  It's like the difference of listening to song at 128 bit on a good system, and then listening to the same song but at 256 bit...An obvious difference.  The Driverack seems easier to use, but only at first.  Within minutes you'll be movin' around in the DCX just as fast as in the Driverack.

Now I'm not bashing the Driverack units at all, in fact I bet the 260 sounds even better than the DCX.  But for the money, and given the feature set, I'd bet the DCX would give the 260 a run for it's money.

As far as the frying egg sound, I heard the crackling with mine, so I immediately searched for the fix.  Fishpaper, or any non-conductive material placed under the XLR board fixes the problem.  For months now since fixing it, mine has been out in the clubs atleast 2 nights a week, without a single crackle or pop.
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

john manson

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 07:30:46 PM »

I think the DCX is great, I bought my first unit based simply on price and recently bought 2 more. Ive installed about half a dozen over the last couple of years and have never had a problem with even one of them.

In saying that Ive just been to the release of the the new DBX 4800 and will probably be buying one when I have the funds.

But seriously....ask before you buy

David Gunnardo

• http://www.davidsljudteknik.se
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 08:42:29 AM »

The only problem i see is that i don't know what i would say to the people that hired me for a gig if the unit would shut down.
In my head it seems easier to have a dbx that breaks down, and explain that for the band or whomever hired me.  Sad
Davids Ljudteknik, Sweden.
www.davidsljudteknik.se

John Horvath

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 09:03:24 AM »

Well if that's the way you're looking at it, I've had 2 Driverack 260 failures, and 1 Driverack PA failure.  I'll agree though, there is the chance any unit could fail and ruin everything.  But my DCX has been used dozens of times already, and never once show any signs of failure.. Knock on wood.

If you really wanted to be super safe, buy 2 DCX's.  You'd be ahead in sound quality, ahead in reliability, and have another Xover that you could use somewhere else in a pinch.  With the DCX's being half the price of a Driverack PA, I would have to say it would be worth it.  
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.