ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: need more low end....don't know if i should go meyer or jbl.  (Read 14735 times)

Miguel Castro Rios

Re: need more low end....don't know if i should go meyer or jbl.
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2005, 01:52:10 PM »

what do you think 'bout the EAW KF940 BENT BASS SUBWOOFER..... it says here...
"A word of warning: high levels of low frequency information can and do cause intestinal distress. Please use these devices with caution. Bent bass horn subwoofer (2) 12 in heavy duty woofers

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2005, 02:04:42 PM »

Be carefull of the size of that thing.  The smallest dimension is 32".  It might not get through a lot of doors.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Miguel Castro Rios

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2005, 03:13:15 PM »

that's true... mmmmm... idk.. i guess i'll just keep looking around... do you know if the specs of the EAWs are real i mean i hear that a lot of meyer speakers says that the'll do a # of spl and then it's not true.......... do you know 'bout eaw... ?

Paul Valenzuela

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2005, 03:21:36 PM »

Hi miguel,
I'm on Mexico, what kind of mexican music do you play??

Usually the "low end" referred to norte

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2005, 04:02:38 PM »

miguel wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 15:13

that's true... mmmmm... idk.. i guess i'll just keep looking around... do you know if the specs of the EAWs are real i mean i hear that a lot of meyer speakers says that the'll do a # of spl and then it's not true.......... do you know 'bout eaw... ?

The SPL's are not associated with a particular freq.  Except the 113 @100hz.  However you want to use them quite a bit lower. They claim -3dB at 24, but do not provide any measured data to prove it.  That is quite a claim for a horn-albeit a big horn.  If you look around at site that have actual measured data (I have spent quite a bit of time doing this) you will find all kinds of numbers in the specs area, that the actual data does not support.  It shows that you can say anything, but does anybody actually call them on it?

Check your PM-I am sending you some details.

Your CV's have a high output at a relatively hig freq for subs, but they don't go that low.

I would try some side by side tests against at least 1 of your current subs, before you buy anything.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2005, 04:03:16 PM »

you definatley need to seriously consider having some labs built for you. 8 Labs will blow away 12 vegas any day of the week. What kind of power are you running on your vegas? You are going to need around 1000watts a box for anything serious - especially in a high spl application.. rmx1850hd, crest 9001, vz5000, powerlight 6.0's.. you might want to invest in some bright yellow 'warning - hearing protection required' signs to put on your subs too.

The eaw BH822e is a very nice box - It is the touring version of the DCS2 which I've used (and many many many other installers have) for internationally awarded club soundsystems. They place most types of urban music VERY well. At around 2500$ a box you could very well have some nice labs built by a local box builder - have them linex'd and outfitted with all the hardware and caster boards that makes life easy. The GREAT thing about labs is they pack in most box trucks 4 across with no gap. so 8 labs will fit up the first 45" of the truck perfectly. That leaves all kinds of room for the rest of your gear. Tom Danley has some great products - and if you dont have the time or patience to build some labs you should seriously consider buying directly from him - afterall thats why this forum exists.

Cerwin vega used to make a good product years ago. Every year they change some crap in their driver, or box. The boxes are made in malyasia and can vary in size and materials from box to box. No joke I bought 8 of them 2 months ago and boxes VARIED IN SIZE from one to another by as much as 1/2"!!! Not to mention these newer boxes don't sound anything like the old beloved earthquakes i remember from 'back in the day'.

I don't know why people are beating up Meyers.. They have some great high end products. Expect to pay for high end. I've used the good ol' 650 around town many many times.. it does equally well in band and urban stuff for me. Good sounding box - not insanely loud or low.. but its not weak either.

Jbl is okay stuff.. SRX isnt exactly touring quality. Alot of people have been giving ranting reviews of the new jbl srx.. I've put a few in clubs as well.. My impression is its the same ol jbl.. it gets loud but just sounds okay. I'd take the yorkvilles over the jbl anyday. - the new stuff is nice because its LIGHT.. someone PLEASE start making a good sounding neo box to compete with these things!

if you really want screaming tops your going to have to get big heavy boxes.. there is no substitue for a big ass double 15 or something like the kf series. Some of it just sounds loud.. some of it sounds pretty good. Double 15" B&C loaded boxes would probably be a cost effective solutio for you.

Miguel Castro Rios

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2005, 05:12:47 PM »

umm... i took a look at the bh760 and they look pretty nice... and i was trying to compare it to some of the other ones... and i'm a bit confused ... the kf930 has 4 15" and this bh760 looks better than it even tho it only has 2 12" and the 4 15" can handle 4000 watts .. and the 2 12" will handle 1600 watts... for som' reason the 2 12" will do 107 spl @ 29 hz... i mean sure they claim that it will go down to 25 hz and that the peak spl is around 145 ... but in the kf930 they will only do 101 spl @ 38hz... and yea it can go down to 30 hz and the peak spl is 140.... .so to me it seems that the 2 12" are lighter and louder than those 4 15"... and even go lower in freq..... the weird thing is (to me) that the 4 15" will handle 4000 watts.... .. is there som' that i'm missing and yea it looks like the 4 15" are more expensive then the 2 12"..... i mean... they come from the same company... i'm starting to fall in love w/ the specs of the bh760.. ... but how much of it is true.. ?

Johan Rademakers

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2005, 05:52:37 PM »

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/78180/9357/0///6 081/?SQ=5baaad7adabdeb598755af99b66680b5

Just a few lines but they seem to answer all your questions.

Mvg Johan

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2005, 05:59:56 PM »

Miguel, a couple of points: Not to sound like a scold, but there are posting rules on these forums that require the use of your full name as you "alias", which you can set in your profile. Second this a professional forum where people speak in complete sentences, with complete words.

The KF930 is not a sub. It is the low frequency component of a large multiway arrayed system, and is intended to operate in a higher frequency range than a sub. In the 900 series the sub is the KF940, which is also a dual 12" horn, a quite large dual 12" horn. The KF940 is intended to be used in blocks of 4, and has tremendous output and low frequency extension. The BH760 is a slightly smaller dual 12" horn loaded sub that has similar output to the KF940, but without as much low frequency extension. Even the BH760 probably goes almost an octave lower than you SL36's, with a lot more output. You should never buy anything at this level without an audition. EAW may be able to arrange something. At 30'x30"x45" and 253 pounds the BH760 is a little less than twice as big as you SL36's, and half again as heavy. On the other hand you may get enough sub bass out of fewer per side, so you may have a saving in size and weight. At a minimum you should have 2 per side, with more adding deeper bass as well as higher maximum output. The EAW subs want to see a lot of amplifier power. Each BH760 is 4 ohms (2x8 ohms) and wants to have an amp between 2500 and 3000 watts into 4 ohms.

You may also want to look at Sound Physics Labs Basstech 7
http://www.servodrive.com/

Or Danley Sound labs Vortex and TH115
http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products.html

Always try before you buy.

Mac

Miguel Castro Rios

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2005, 06:30:08 PM »

well first of all thanks for answering my questions... i'm sorry that i'm not profesional enough.... and can't type in compleate sentences.. but i do want to let you know that i'm only 18. hehe.. i'm hispanic and my first lenguage is not english,  i'm a hell of a drummer and i'm also an intern at a mayor recording studio....(4 yr college is too expensive for me, i'm not a us citizen)..... i know i just play in a local hispanic band.. but honestly, i just do it for the money, .. i play w/ adults(not kids) if i was to play my favorite music, from the 70's, then i'd be broke... but n-e-ways... i still have to thank yall for taking your time to answer my questions. ...and yea i think i'm gonna start with one bh760 per side, and just save som' money for a couple of months and then get 2 more. ... but yea.. before i purchase anything, i'll have to hear it....BUT WHERE?!............
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.