ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: need more low end....don't know if i should go meyer or jbl.  (Read 14734 times)

Miguel Castro Rios

need more low end....don't know if i should go meyer or jbl.
« on: September 29, 2005, 10:35:06 PM »

hi i play in a local band, we have 12 sl-36 cerwinvegas(6 per side),i'm thinking 'bout buying one meyer 700 hp per side.. and it would save me a lot of weight and space for the truck...but the price is too much...i don't know if i should swich to the new jbl srx 700..... they have 2 18" and the cabinet will handle 1600....should i get 2 per side?.(3200 watts total. rms)...or just one meyer per side that will do 2400 watts. the thing 'bout meyer is that the freq. range is 28-150 and the jbl is 33-220...so i don't kno....2 jbl srx 700 per side or one meyer 700hp per side...........now the old jbl sr-x series w/ the 2 18" are not powerful enough...i tested 2 sl-36 cerwinvegas v.s. one jbl sr-x w/ 2 18"....and the cerwinvega was louder and punchy...but the jbl had more quality and clarity....so having 6 sl-36 was better than 3 jbls per side...that's just my opinion....i don't know if the new jbl srx will be "good"... i need a nice low end for 2000 solid ppl.

Ivan Beaver

Re: need more low end....don't know if i should go meyer or jbl.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 07:09:13 AM »

You can't go by the power ratings. twice the power is only 3dB,which can be made up with a better design.  You have to also consider whether or not the watts stated are real achievable watts or some sort of hype.  The best test is what you have already started to do and have a side by side comparisom.

The real things to consider are output and sound quality-NOT rated specs.  Trust me-most manufacturers really stretch the specs.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Miguel Castro Rios

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 03:48:28 PM »

mmmmmmmmmm.....have you heard the meyer?....or the ...jbl?....i mean...the meyer has a lot of history and respect....i would definently go for meyer ....but considering the price of it and places where i play at.. i would rather have a jbl...although more boxes means more weight and a bigger truck ....wich one would you prefer....is the meyer worth it?..how many will i need to be able to do a 2000 ppl show......or som' better than what i had (12 sl-36 earthquakes).....if you could choose, wich one would you go for...i mean....i haven't had the chance to hear them....i've just heard the old jbl srx... and i din't like it....but i haven't heard the new ones ....nor the meyer...the thing i like 'bout the sl-36 is that you can feel the punch.. it'll shake the walls and it'll make you feel like you are moving with the sound wave...it's awsome..but .... i can't carry too many boxes you kno.....

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 09:18:04 PM »

You might want to check out this thread

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/8708/6883/?SQ=3e f608a5a4bc80695059854652eb5f29

I cannot speak for the Meyer subs, but the tops are not cracked up to what they claim.  Yes they have a reputation, and an image, but I like the products to speak for themselves.  Maybe it is the either the Meyerwood they use or the Meyer Koolade that makes them appear better than they actually are.  I just expect products that cost as much as they do to perform better.

I did a demo with the Meyer M3d against the SPL BDEAP.  When switching between the Meyer and the SPL (this was outside)everybody asked if the Meyer was on!  We had previously matched output levels, to be fair.  I looked in the back and the limit lights were full on.  That is as loud as it would go.  The SPL totally ran over the Meyer.  Amazing how much louder 2x12" would go as compared to 2x18" + 2x15".
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

peter.golde

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 11:17:50 AM »

"Amazing how much louder 2x12" would go as compared to 2x18" + 2x15".

Should read, Danley's 2x12 bass horn vs. any bass reflex.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa

Timmahh

• http://www.chromepony.us
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 11:19:34 AM »

ok i m a bit confused Miguel,  are you looking to ADD TOO your 12 CVs, or are you looking to replace them?   If you would like to ADD TOO you current sub system, then I would say to get more of the CVs you have, or something extrememly close in sonic response to what your CVs have... reason is you ll likely end up with LOSS of sub structure by combining different boxes and expecting the i got more speaker boxes than i did yesterday, why does it sound like shit now??? there are so many variables that will affect your BOTTOM LINE (the sub output), by combining different boxes... you can take a ford and put a chevy tranny in it, but it dont mean it will do 100mph more than it did with the ford tranny.likely response is the ford will fall apart leaveing you sitting in the street on the tried and true chevy tranny.. lol

I would suggest you find someone in you area who has some Lab Subs or Some of Tom Danleys Designed Cabs, or another form of a horn loaded sub like the BDeaps mentioned..  and give a good listen to a horn loaded box.  you would most likely end up with less boxes to carry/power/set up/ maintain, and MORE SUB Structure and output which is what you are really looking for if i read your first post right.

hth
Timmahh
I had to do it cuz I'm Just like that!!!!!
Timmahh!!!

Joe Jones

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 02:07:31 PM »

Or t30s? I see that you're taking yours to Waynes shootout. That mean they're keepers?

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
Re: need more info....
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 04:14:07 PM »

I was wondering what this system is going to be used for.
what the rest of your configuration is going use like.  And what your budget is.

I have only heard CV's a couple of times. (Only in small pairs with DJs running them into clipping)  I know a lot of people here have a beef with the CV subs.  I would love to see some TEF or MLSA measures on the things and Harmonic distortion ratings.  But I've never seen any not even on CV's site (which would raise a red flag for me. Are they too big to give honest measurements).  I have heard from a lot of people that they are inherently colored sounding and roll off around 60Hz.  But  I have only heard them with hard clipped amps driving them running full range so I have no Idea what they really sound like.

I suspect that if you are going to be bumping Dr. Dre the Chronic all night that the CV would be a wonderful choice since its mostly a 80Hz synthetic kick bumping 20dB hotter than the rest of the music.

I have never seen a frequency sweep on any of the Meyer stuff either.  Just a couple of +/- specs.  I am intrigued by the Meyer PSW-6 Cardioid sub.  I have heard some of their Dual 18 cabs they seem to do the job for Rahzel and his mad beat boxing.

I have become disenchanted with anything that JBL produces lately I've heard the EONs have an interesting magnet structure and they are using a beryllium Compression Driver in their line array stuff but I don't think much else they are doing is very interesting right now.  Especially in the sub department.  All of their subs are just OK.

If you want really clean smooth low bass,  I know personally that the Servodrive Bass Tech 7 will do it if you have deep pockets.  The Lab subs probably sound as good and better especially at low power levels.  I'm sure the Danley Sound Labs stuff sounds very similar as they are all designed by the same person(s)?  I have heard good things about the Bassmaxx subs.  A few SPL BDEAPS will be really Friggin Loud and probably be clean sounding.  EAW makes some giant folded Horn sub as well but I have never heard it and it looks heavy and cumbersome as hell.

How much money you willing to throw at these things?
What type of music are you going to be playing through these?
Whos your daddy and what does he do?
Is the rest of your system going to be able to mate well and keep up with your subs?

Power Handling by itself is meaningless.  Efficiency linear bandpass and power handeling together are a little more useful.

-Sum  

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 06:37:57 PM »

sumsound wrote on Sat, 01 October 2005 16:14

I have never seen a frequency sweep on any of the Meyer stuff either.  Just a couple of +/- specs.  I am intrigued by the Meyer PSW-6 Cardioid sub.  I have heard some of their Dual 18 cabs they seem to do the job for Rahzel and his mad beat boxing.

-Sum  

Here is the closest thing I could find to Meyer measured data.  It is from their website. It looks like the -6dB is 42 hz. So the -3dB is probably around 45Hz.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 07:53:56 PM »

20dB down from average shure sounds flat to me.

What power levels where those generated at.  If thats 1W 1M that would be the most efficent cabinet ever.  Somehow I doubt thats what it is.

Why don't they just invest in a TEF, paraxis or a magical B&K and give us some real measures.

Sum-
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.