ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NSI Dimmer Packs?  (Read 1510 times)

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
NSI Dimmer Packs?
« on: October 02, 2005, 06:09:52 PM »

Hello

I picked up some NSI dimmer packs used and wanted to know before I purchase a NSI controller is there another brand that will control them?
I am exploring all possibilities and wondered if dimmer packs are brand specific.
As you can tell this is my first entry into lighting after 17 years of providing sound systems my normal lighting source provider is retiring.

Thanks for any information.

Douglas R. Allen
Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Tom Delay

Re: NSI Dimmer Packs?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 06:52:30 PM »

First off, I'd definitely suggest picking up a book on lighting or anything that'll help you with info like this. The standard communication signal in lighting is DMX and can be found thruought lighting products. However, not all NSI dimers run on dmx. Their smaller units use NSI micro-plex. So look at the unit, look at the manual.

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 07:18:00 AM »

Jack B wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 18:52

First off, I'd definitely suggest picking up a book on lighting or anything that'll help you with info like this. The standard communication signal in lighting is DMX and can be found thruought lighting products. However, not all NSI dimers run on dmx. Their smaller units use NSI micro-plex. So look at the unit, look at the manual.

Thanks
I will look into the manual and report back.
Douglas R. Allen
Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 03:59:56 PM »

NSI has all their manuals online, even for most of their discontinued models.

The basic way to tell is to look at the connector on the pack. On NSI gear, If the connector is a 3 pin XLR, its probably Micro-plex.  Microplex is a control system that is standard among NSI, Lightronics, and older SUNN gear. If its a 5 pin XLR on NSI gear, then its probably DMX control system.  DMX is the common control system for lighting by every manufacturer.  Some manufacturers like Lightronics and NSI use both systems.

But, keep in mind, that many other manufacturers use a 3 wire XLR for DMX. While the industry standard and the specs call for DMX on a 5 pin XLR, many manufacturers use a 3 pin XLR so they save some money, and their customers can hook up their stuff with mic cables, and not have to buy the more expensive (and correct) 5 wire cables for DMX.

Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.