ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighting on low buget  (Read 3371 times)

Andre Ferrer

• http://mangobtl.com
Lighting on low buget
« on: September 27, 2005, 03:44:31 AM »

Hi!!! I was wondering if you guys can helps me.  I have and audio rental company and resently, we got a contract for a few moths with a local beer company. They are going to have a band in small venues and bars.  Have the audio but no light.  My buget is arounfd $10,000.00 and like to have some Moving heads.  Can you recomend me   what to buy, Was thinking to buy the martin krypton is there something as good at a better price.

HElp please!!!!

Dan Glass

Re: Lighting on low buget
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 12:49:42 PM »

How many were you hoping to purchase?  How big are the clubs?  How will this $10K budget be split?  Will you need par cans, dimmers, controller?

Dan Glass
Dan Glass

Andre Ferrer

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 01:13:25 PM »

I al ready have 18 par can 64 with 500 watts bulbs.  Dimmers have them, do not have a console for my dimmers use them on auto.  Hoping to be able to buy at least 4.  I have seen the Robe 250, martin 250 but not shure.  Sometimes the clubs can hold up to 3000 guest. The 10K are for fixture and controller only.

Tom Delay

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 01:13:48 PM »

You definitely cannot practically light a show totally on moving lights. A 10,000 budget is awfully small to be looking into more than 1 or 2 used (quality) moving lights lights and still have money for the essentials.

You said small bars and venues. I have never thought they benefit at all by moving lights. Many times it's hard to even find a place to put them and even if you can, in tight spaces, they just don't look as cool. They'd be mostly a distraction.

10,000 to me is a lovely sum to put together a tight lighting package. Not lighting stands, but maybe trussing and a set of some sort. Conventionals (pars/strobes/ellipsoidals/fog) and dimmers to go along with that. And don't forget a console. Right there, you have a solid rig that in bars and small club could be even more flexable and interesting than a moving light package. The key is creativity. If you're going to be running a lighting package, you need to have someone capable of using it in creative and interesting way. Get the most bang for your buck.

Consider your audience and your budget. If you go with moving lights, you'll need to commit to several to get any decent effect from them, then once you do, they just become a distaction in small venues. People will be going, "wow look at those lights," when what you want them to be saying is, "wow, look at the band." You know what I mean?

Edit: i just read your last reply which came in while i was writing this and as a side note, around here, even some of the biggest club/theater venues (2,500+) restrain from using moving lights in their setup. Also, 500 watts sound awfully low for 3000+ venues.

Andre Ferrer

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 03:44:44 PM »

Its true what you say about the moving heads.  The thing is that for a reason in my country moving heads are INm, everyone wants them, (rent).  Trying to get an advantage on the market, we decided to buy moving.  In my country there are only two comapanies that have MH and they have DTS 574 X1 and Martin 250 Plus.  Want to be in the middle of them.  The MH would not be only for the show buta also for rent.  Basically what I need to know where do I but my money, which brand and how many.....

Tom Delay

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 11:34:30 PM »

I definitely understand your need to compete. Especially in a rental market. But if everyone is doing the same looking show with moving heads, won't you be original with a very well run and verrrry well designed conventional show? Plus you'll have money to spend on things that would seem extraneous to anyone else (truss, staging, etc.) Just a suggestion.

len woelfel

• http://www.party-chicago.com/rentals/rentals.html
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 12:13:08 PM »

Martin makes good products.  I don't use the Krypton, but I do use the Entour a lot, and it's a great, bright, fast light.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.  One thing I would consider is how your currency is against the currency of the mfg. country.  In the U.S. it is difficult to justify Martin products right now because of the weak dollar.  Whereas, High End is easy to afford relatively, because it is made in the U.S.  I've never used, but heard good things about Robe lights.  I'm not a fan of Elation, which is a division of American DJ, but mostly made in other countries.  

I've also had some recent experience with Clay Paky.  They've made disco lights since the 1960's but were slow to get on the dmx bandwagon, so I'm told.  I've heard their distribution in the U.S. is crap, so not too many people know about them, which is a shame.  I just tried out some Alpha Spot and Wash HPE.  I'm very impressed with them overall and will be writing a review of them soon.  Basically, great colors, great optics, very intense.  The only place I think they fall short is on movement speed (very fluid but slow) and gobos.  Gobos are pretty weak and generic, but you can upgrade them easily.  

Andre Ferrer

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 06:48:45 PM »

Thanks for the advice, and since you mention High End do you know who would be a contact person to quote them.  And also have you heard of Futurelight???? Are they any good.

len woelfel

• http://www.party-chicago.com/rentals/rentals.html
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 10:38:27 PM »

The company I do some work for in Illinois sells them, but I'm not allowed to post that info so I'll pm you.  There may be others who are closer.  We are also dealers for Martin, and some others.  

Andre Ferrer

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 11:14:51 PM »

I am in central america and there is no distribuitors for any brand in my country.  Have you heard of futurelights
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.