ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The case against orange, blue, yellow, and pink extension cords  (Read 39473 times)

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

Re: The case against orange, blue, yellow, and pink extension cords
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2005, 11:35:34 PM »

Mike AB [Mike Butler

wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 20:01]EWI Amps? 1000's, or 2000's? I like the fan cutout with battered fingerguard in the middle of that other roadcase, BTW..  Very Happy

E&W PS 2000s for monitors
E&W ES 2000s for HF drivers

Most people aren't familiar with these amps.  I love them.  Unfortunately Mark Hellinger is no longer keeping them in stock which is a bummer because I wanted to pick up a couple more.

These are both the same amp with different front panels and the PS has some weird "Quick tone" switch that I don't use so they are actually the same the way that I have them set up.

That road case carries two PW4000 power supplies, weighs about 4,000,000 lbs or at least thats what it feels like.  It came with the "Battered fingerguard in the middle" pre-installed for me.  I think it actually has a matched left/right pair.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2005, 11:45:19 PM »

Winston wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 20:05

I guess I'm half professional, half amatuer or maybe just half assed. I have one yellow 50' 12/3 to which I added a four gang box for running to the drum area which I got for free when my sister didn't want to fix a bad end. From there I have all black 12/3 and 14/3 runs for anything on stage or in the public eye to back line, powered speakers, amp rack and front of house. That was the deal when I could run everything off one 15 amp breaker. Later on I needed 100' for an outdoor party and Home Despot was the only option for 10/3 late on a Saturday. That cord has now been cut into two 25' and one 50' sections for more flexibility and two runs of two circuits to the drum area.

Would I like to have all black? Sure, I to think it looks more professional but for many of us lounge lizards using what we have is the only way to limit how much we lose or maximize what little we make at this level.

Winston

It doesn't cost very much to upgrade to nice black SO cable, especially for runs from FOH to the distro.  You would be amazed how you can charge more just with an extra nice appearance and actually make a lot more money.  Don't feel that just because you have smaller budgets than the big boys that you can't look as good or better and make some good profit too.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2005, 12:05:22 AM »

Brandon Burfeind wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 19:07

Black seems to say "professional" in almost every industry/business.  

When my dad was buying a Canon Digital Rebel (camera) he had to choose between black and silver.  I made him get the black because it is way more professional, and that's just hobby photography.  

A great majority of business computers and peripherals are black, although that is a relatively new trend.  They look nice.

black is just more professional.  whether its psychological or social, you have to admit it is.

Some snark on Slashdot noted that Lenovo will be selling an IBM ThinkPad in a titanium case.  This marks a wide departure from the "Any color you want, as long as it's black" ThinkPad tradition.  (Disclaimer: this message is being posted from a ThinkPad G40.)  As you can imagine, the Slashdotters posted all sorts of "world is coming to an end" responses to this (non-) news, with the basic point being "ThinkPads are professional, and should be black."  Thus, you have some people who agree with you!

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Brian Adams

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2005, 12:33:16 AM »

LOUDMUSIC wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 21:53

I've been looking for some cool colored extension cords but I can only find them in black.  Anyone know where to get 6/4 SOOW in yellow, orange or green?

index.php/fa/2587/0/

Actually, I've seen 6/4 in yellow, but not all that often.  Must be for industrial applications, I'm guessing.  But even usually in those cases it's black, so I don't know.  As for the other colors, you might be out of luck. Wink
B.

Tim Padrick

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2005, 02:32:58 AM »

I love my colored mic cables, but my AC is black (except for my 100' blue FOH run).  I used SJ because at the time I did not know that you're supposed to use SO.  But at my level, it's not a problem.  http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/ACcables/ACcables.htm

Mike Chapin

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2005, 03:37:55 AM »

All my power cables and speaker cables are black. I apologize, however, for the fact that my 5- to 10-foot balanced patch cables are all red. My 5-foot inserts are blue. I never have any problem figuring out which cable to grab, even in the dark. BTW, if it'll make you feel better, my unbalanced patch cables are black. All of this stuff resides behind the rack at FOH, and any excess is coiled inside the rack. It's a beautiful thing. With the color-coded ends, it takes me less than 60 seconds to patch the rack to the board. All the amp inputs and outputs are on panels on the back of the amp racks, color coded as well. No, I'm not a pro, I'm just anal. And even as such, the utility of quick cable identification outweighs my fear of apparent dorkiness.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

Mike McNany

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2005, 11:49:20 AM »

Evan, I see you added some quality plugs on some of those thin cables. Save the plugs and throw out the cables (or put el cheapo plugs on them and save them for home use). Your cables look a little thin, like that one on the stand up reel (I have the same one ;>). You should check each cable (this goes for all us low ball lounge lizards) and if it's not at least 14ga, you should leave it at home.

While I also push for black AC cabling for a professional appearance, I think it's even more important to get rid of the lesser (higher) gage cabling. Save the orange 16ga for yard & Christmas lights.

Black 12/3 cable can be had for $.48/foot at my small local electric supply store. Making more extensions (maybe 10ga) and ones with duplex & quad boxes are in my near future.

Mike McNany

Allen Alonzo (tazada)

• http://technicallysound.biz
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2005, 02:19:47 PM »

Like others, I ran across some 100' #12 extension cables.  I kept 2 for long Edison power runs, and cut up two to make 8 quad boxes for stage feeds, 25' each, another two I cut in half and made 50' cords, the other same but 4 x 25Ft.  All are yellow now, but......

Where I used to work, we had a wire machine and only stocked white wire, it would cut to length and dye them any color.  My plan is to get some of this dye in black and just dye my cables black, would I be cool then???

BTW, I just bought 100' of 12/3 Black SO to lay with my drive and signal snake to look "professional"

Allen

Peter Møller

• http://www.voidaudio.dk
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2005, 02:21:22 PM »

95% of my wiring is black SOJ...

The rest is yellow extension cords, but only in use when someone wants to borrow an extensioncord for their beer cooler, hotdog cooker or whatever..

Good thing about the yellow ones is that its no big deal if people run off with them Smile.. I got tired of having to replace the black SOJ cords everytime someone borrowed a cable and "forgot" to return it..

/peter

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2005, 03:20:34 PM »

Mike McNany wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 11:49

Evan, I see you added some quality plugs on some of those thin cables. Save the plugs and throw out the cables (or put el cheapo plugs on them and save them for home use). Your cables look a little thin, like that one on the stand up reel (I have the same one ;>). You should check each cable (this goes for all us low ball lounge lizards) and if it's not at least 14ga, you should leave it at home.

While I also push for black AC cabling for a professional appearance, I think it's even more important to get rid of the lesser (higher) gage cabling. Save the orange 16ga for yard & Christmas lights.

Black 12/3 cable can be had for $.48/foot at my small local electric supply store. Making more extensions (maybe 10ga) and ones with duplex & quad boxes are in my near future.

Mike McNany

Hi Mike. The 16 gauge cables only get used for backline and such. I may switch over to better/black cables once I have a need for it, but for 99% of the acts I do they could care less.

I run everything else off of the 12 gauge cords on the reels though. The 100' one(blue) is normally for FOH, and the 50' one(yellow) is for the amps.

Quote:

Tom M. wrote: as for my FOH it is very neat. 1 snake loomed with mesh goes from rack to board with a 1.5' fanout on the end, 2 power cables from the rack, one to board and one to the wall, and one xlr jack on the back to the amp racks. all cables on fanout are labled. My mixer case also has a small half-doghouse on the back. I am pretty picky about keeping things organized at foh and don't like having a bunch of misc. crap laying around.

You hate my rack.  Very Happy

index.php/fa/2595/0/
Not all change is good change.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.