ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The case against orange, blue, yellow, and pink extension cords  (Read 39478 times)

Brian Adams

Re: The case against orange, blue, yellow, and pink extension cords
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 09:08:49 PM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 19:57

Whats wrong with colorful extension cords? Smile

index.php/fa/2585/0/

But, really I never knew they made black power cords(or at least havent seem them). All my mic cables are black though.

Evan

You're right, it seems black cords are tough to find in stores.  But they are made, I know because I've seen them.  I even have one black store-bought cord.  It's 15' long, either 14 or 16 ga, with molded ends.  But that's not one that travels with me, it's in the same place as all my orange and yellow molded end cords, and those only get used at home.  

Most of the cords I carry I made myself, with 500' of 12/3 SO.  I carry 2 manufactured cables, the kind with the lit outlets every few feet down the cable.  I think they're from CBI, but I can't remember anymore.  

The only cables I have that aren't black are 2 power strips, that get used only rarely, like when a guitar player forgets to bring their own stuff.  Oh well, at least the power strips are mostly black, but the cable on them is yellow.  But it doesn't matter, they hardly ever leave the case.

I recommend getting yourself some 12/3 or 14/3 and making all the cords you need.  Once you break it down it doesn't cost all that much, and you'll have really durable cables that will serve you for many years.  Plus they're black, and that's a good thing.
B.

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 09:12:08 PM »

Doug Fowler wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 17:37

Hopefully everyone realizes I will point him to this thread Smile

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009EOZ7Q.01-A1787XOD7Q2I4M._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tell him he's nothing without glowing neon lamps at the female ends of his hot yellow power cables. Maybe he could put on a light show by swinging them in circles. Yahooooo!

-Bink

P.S. to the youngsters: "yahoo" used to mean hick or hillbilly. The sound of it being yelled was used in ads to sell Mountain Dew back in 1965. "...It'll tickle your innards!"
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Peter Frederiksen

• http://www.rite.blindpanic.net
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 09:19:35 PM »

Wow, it must be tough hiding all that yellow and orange stuff in the truss!
you can bulk buy black at any home depot etc
(I do use yellow......on my weed wacker)
Very Happy

Brandon Burfeind

• http://brandonburfeind.com
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 10:07:34 PM »

Black seems to say "professional" in almost every industry/business.  

When my dad was buying a Canon Digital Rebel (camera) he had to choose between black and silver.  I made him get the black because it is way more professional, and that's just hobby photography.  

A great majority of business computers and peripherals are black, although that is a relatively new trend.  They look nice.

We wear black suits.  Do you go to events (that require suits) in neon orange or pink suits?  that's a llittle extreme, but think about it.

black is just more professional.  whether its psychological or social, you have to admit it is.

anyway, enough rambling for me.

Brandon

Tom Reid

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2005, 10:08:39 PM »

OK, I get it.

I yell at folks who insulate with electical tape rather than shrink.  Colored power cords would fall under this form of bigotry.

If someone send me a roll of black 10/3, say 500', I would make up all black power cards and "be the theater".
How come that never works on this site?

How many Thespian hours do I get for making "proper" extenders?

I do have a cord refit on my list ...
Right after a couple mics, a cool new Rane Parametric, a couple more amps, and another sub.

Tom "But if you close your eyes, it still sounds as good"

tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Jonathan Woytek

• http://www.dryrose.com
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2005, 10:22:00 PM »

B. Adams wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 21:08

I recommend getting yourself some 12/3 or 14/3 and making all the cords you need.  Once you break it down it doesn't cost all that much, and you'll have really durable cables that will serve you for many years.  Plus they're black, and that's a good thing.

I make nearly all of my own AC extensions out of black 12/3 with black-and-white explosion-proof safety ends.  I also make my own twofers and fourfers out of similar high-grade components.  I learned what I do from doing theatre electric work before I did sound--anything non-black sticks out like a sore thumb on an electric over the stage or out in the house.  

My advice to anyone doing this, though, is to make absolutely sure that you wire things with some modicum of a standard!  Simple things like "white wire to white screw" and "make sure your grounds are bonded" seem to escape far too many.  A few assistants have been unpleasantly surprised by using a piece of electrical gear that they built without paying attention, and a few times *I* have been surprised by their work (nothing like grabbing a "hot" batten 30 feet in the air to wake one up).  

All that said, I do have a few brightly-colored extensions in the bin to run during outdoor shows, and I have a few white mic cables that some "roaming" vocalists prefer to help keep them from tripping over their own cord on a dark stage.  

jonathan
Jonathan Woytek
Dryrose Productions

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2005, 10:53:18 PM »

I've been looking for some cool colored extension cords but I can only find them in black.  Anyone know where to get 6/4 SOOW in yellow, orange or green?

index.php/fa/2587/0/
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Mike {AB} Butler

• http://www.3alchemy.com
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2005, 11:01:22 PM »

EWI Amps? 1000's, or 2000's? I like the fan cutout with battered fingerguard in the middle of that other roadcase, BTW..  Very Happy
Mike Butler,
Principal, Technology and Operations,
Dascott Technologies, LLC

Winston Gamble

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2005, 11:05:58 PM »

I guess I'm half professional, half amatuer or maybe just half assed. I have one yellow 50' 12/3 to which I added a four gang box for running to the drum area which I got for free when my sister didn't want to fix a bad end. From there I have all black 12/3 and 14/3 runs for anything on stage or in the public eye to back line, powered speakers, amp rack and front of house. That was the deal when I could run everything off one 15 amp breaker. Later on I needed 100' for an outdoor party and Home Despot was the only option for 10/3 late on a Saturday. That cord has now been cut into two 25' and one 50' sections for more flexibility and two runs of two circuits to the drum area.

Would I like to have all black? Sure, I to think it looks more professional but for many of us lounge lizards using what we have is the only way to limit how much we lose or maximize what little we make at this level.

Winston

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2005, 11:29:10 PM »

I Have 3 12/3 extension cords for main power, 2 yellow ones, one 25 and one 100 feet, and a new orange one that's 85 feet long and bright neon orange, but damn, for $30 with a 2' 12/3 3 outlet splitter included i couldn't pass it up. for stage power and runs to foh i use your standard 16/3 orange extension cord. thing is most venues I work couldn't care less, and my cables are typically routed along walls and under gaff tape so nobody notices them anyway. as for my FOH it is very neat. 1 snake loomed with mesh goes from rack to board with a 1.5' fanout on the end, 2 power cables from the rack, one to board and one to the wall, and one xlr jack on the back to the amp racks. all cables on fanout are labled. My mixer case also has a small half-doghouse on the back. I am pretty picky about keeping things organized at foh and don't like having a bunch of misc. crap laying around. almost all of my racks have i/o panels on them or i am sure to pile the cables behind them out of view. Mic cables are all black, they get stored in the left half of my cable bag, speaker cables on the right all neatly wrapped and tied with velcro. That's about all i can think of with my rig.
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.