ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The case against orange, blue, yellow, and pink extension cords  (Read 34155 times)

eric (e.t.) torgerson

• http://www.et-av.com
Re: The case against orange, blue, yellow, and pink extension cords
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2005, 12:07:57 am »

Don't feel bad. I'm a little embarrassed to say that half my mic cables are Canare Quad Blue. This is so that the other soundpeople can tell that I did the gig when they see it on TV. Also whenever the blue mic cables get loaned out I usually get them back. My polarity reversers and special adapter cables are red (for danger). My AC is mostly black with little lights on the quad boxes or molded plugs. For stage power I use Lex E-strings. They are black 12/3, very flexible and have cool green LEDs on every outlet. There are also 50' & 100' yellow (for caution) 12/3s in the box if things get wild.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2005, 12:33:30 am »

I try to keep my cables neat and organized butI have a bad habit of keeping to much stuff around me like large water containers and other misc. items.
index.php/fa/2600/0/
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Jason Ellis

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2005, 01:09:30 am »

Yep too much free time on my hands! I'm all for black only power cabling, and in reference to the above photographers, canon thinks white is nice, but I'm an old nikon man, and well nikons are black! (no longer true entirely, to keep up with Canon's marketing [the above image was staged following an event, anyone with a canon was handed $50 to bunch up for a picture!] they have a few "gray" lenses...not that brands matter, just link they don't matter here, good eyes, ears, and minds generate good output.

index.php/fa/2601/0/

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2005, 11:22:27 am »

Jason Ellis wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 22:09

Yep too much free time on my hands! I'm all for black only power cabling, and in reference to the above photographers, canon thinks white is nice, but I'm an old nikon man, and well nikons are black! (no longer true entirely, to keep up with Canon's marketing [the above image was staged following an event, anyone with a canon was handed $50 to bunch up for a picture!] they have a few "gray" lenses...not that brands matter, just link they don't matter here, good eyes, ears, and minds generate good output.

index.php/fa/2601/0/

My sound is great, my photography and photo editing skills leave a lot to be desired.  Very Happy
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Harold Mayo

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2005, 12:17:53 pm »

Lee Patzius wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 16:24

According to my wife, orange is making a comeback.

It is....my 'new' wardrobe has lots of orange   Rolling Eyes
ManofMayo

Tom Reid

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2005, 12:24:54 pm »

Harold Mayo wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 11:17

Lee Patzius wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 16:24

According to my wife, orange is making a comeback.

It is....my 'new' wardrobe has lots of orange   Rolling Eyes

Or is it just close to pumpkin season?
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Jim Duyck

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2005, 12:59:29 pm »

index.php/fa/2602/0/

Horray for cable runs to your anus...I mean, for anal cable runs!!!!  Arrgghh, I can't stand a mess, whether it be at FOH, behind the amp rack, or on stage.  I'm always making a face at someone who's been untidy...

Just {cough} ignore the yellow splitters... Rolling Eyes

But seriously, I have Google'd 'til I was sick of it, trying to find a good deal on black 10/3 and 12/3 25' & 50' foot cables at a decent price, that didn't seem to be upcharging you for them being black (jerks...).  So sadly, our AC cables are a bright rainbow that I loath getting out of the box every time...

So does anyone know of a place online where I could order some black ac cables at a good $$$????  I wanna change Crying or Very Sad Really, I do.... Embarassed

Very Happy
~jim~

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2005, 03:03:06 pm »

Man Jim, that rack must be a bitch to move. 5 RMX amps? Jeeze. I hate moving my rack with 2 rmx's. Smile

Of course, I plan on going PLX one of these days...

Evan "likes things light" Kirkendall
Not all change is good change.

Tom Duffy

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2005, 03:30:07 pm »

I'm in the middle of upgrading to 12/3 SO, and also did the googling for prices.

In roughly desending order.

McMaster-Carr : 98cents + tax per foot. Cheaper if you get a 250' reel.  The best shipping times of anywhere on line (at least for the left coast).

Home Depot : 97cents + tax per foot.
HD also has the yellow! 12/3 SO that is rated for 190F heat if you want to do gigs at the firehouse. 2 out of 3 stores near me were out of stock, I got the last 14 foot of the remaining reel at the other.

eBay : seller "hayshakers"  has 12/3 SO for 82 cents.  Shipping cost unknown.

ProductionAdvantageOnline : 250' reels are nicely priced.
Camel Traders : Their website's price list has been offline for a couple of weeks, it came back, and they have the best price for a 250' reel. Call them up, they seem very friendly and knowledgable.

CamelTraders also has Neutrik Powercons if you want to go that route. I'm following Tim Padrick's example and wiring all my racks for PowerCon.

If you have an electrical supply shop (i.e. where the contractors buy from) near you, they may have the best prices on whole reels.

Tom.

Dave Unger

• http://folksoundguy.blogspot.com/
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2005, 04:57:49 pm »

Hey guys,

I belive it is against NEC code to use anything but black cables.  I tried to look it up but the code is so dense I gave up.  This is for more than aesthetic reasons.  Remember electicity causes heat, heat leads to fire, fire is bad. Evil or Very Mad

d
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler." - Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.