ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The case against orange, blue, yellow, and pink extension cords  (Read 39635 times)

Mike {AB} Butler

• http://www.3alchemy.com
Re: The case against orange, blue, yellow, and pink extension cords
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2005, 04:09:21 PM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 12:20

You hate my rack.  Very Happy

index.php/fa/2595/0/

Not so much the rack. but the (UN)steady foundation underneath that! Milk Crates went out with the '80's!!
Regards,
Mike Butler,
Principal, Technology and Operations,
Dascott Technologies, LLC

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2005, 05:27:15 PM »

Mike AB Mike Butler wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 15:09

Milk Crates went out with the '80's!!

Naw, milk crates are still cool. You just need to use ones from dairies that are now out of business. That makes them "vintage".  Very Happy

If you really want to use some cool crates, try finding some wire ones.
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2005, 05:47:58 PM »

I don't believe some of you people are trying to defend the use those hideous yellow, orange, and pink power cables.

Man, talk about not "getting it".

You really need to get to appreciate the beauty of a nicely dressed cable run.

It must be some sort of a "Musician Thing".  Very Happy I mean that in a nice way!  Very Happy

The brightly colored Loew's Depot cable are nice if you want to keep from running over the cable with your electric lawn mower, but it's got no place on a stage. None. Nope. Nada. Zip.

I know of one upscale venue where I have mixed weddings that expressly FORBIDS the use of anything other than black cables.

Few things are more ghetto than random bird's nests of cable all over the stage, at FOH, and who knows where else.

Not to mention (but I'll mention it anyway) the fact that the memory in the plastic insulation of these kinds of cables is so strong, it's months before you can get one to lay (lie?) flat.

Let's get with it people!

Dave "friends don't let friends use orange power cable" Dermont
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Mike McNany

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2005, 06:02:50 PM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 15:20

index.php/fa/2595/0/

While the comment was to Tom, count me in, too. I hate your rack.

Of course the milk crate foundation is a destroyed mixer (Peavey RQ series, I see) in the making. But you need to get or make (far cheaper) several 2 & 3 foot mic cables for patching AND some 5/6 foot ones for the same. Not only looks neater but they can be easily loomed (or not) and coiled up, left in the racks for transport with one end connected. I went through a spiral wrap loom phase, major pain in the wrist to change, harder to coil but easy to have cables come out along the length. Then the split corragated tubing phase, still hard to coil. Eventually moving to several snakes for inserts & phone plug patching and also XLR looms using short velcro wraps every 9-10 inches, REAL easy to coil. Each snake gets wrapped with a big velcro scrap and left coiled all hooked up in the rack. That way you only have to connect one end of the cables, cutting the rack cabling time in half. Bottom line: shorty XLR cables make for easy wrapping, no tangling, and no rats' nest.

Mike McNany

Tom Reid

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2005, 06:05:27 PM »

AnotherDave wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 16:47

I don't believe some of you people are trying to defend the use those hideous yellow, orange, and pink power cables.

Man, talk about not "getting it".

You really need to get to appreciate the beauty of a nicely dressed cable run.

It must be some sort of a "Musician Thing".  Very Happy I mean that in a nice way!  Very Happy

The brightly colored Loew's Depot cable are nice if you want to keep from running over the cable with your electric lawn mower, but it's got no place on a stage. None. Nope. Nada. Zip.

I know of one upscale venue where I have mixed weddings that expressly FORBIDS the use of anything other than black cables.

Few things are more ghetto than random bird's nests of cable all over the stage, at FOH, and who knows where else.

Not to mention (but I'll mention it anyway) the fact that the memory in the plastic insulation of these kinds of cables is so strong, it's months before you can get one to lay (lie?) flat.

Let's get with it people!

Dave "friends don't let friends use orange power cable" Dermont

Why is it I suddenly feel naked and ashamed?  Embarassed
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Ivan Beaver

Re: The case against orange, blue, yellow, and pink extension cords-my mess
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2005, 06:13:15 PM »

Here is one of my old messes-It is of my first monitor console (A Kelsey 20 channel that was modified into a 20x6) at a gig for Wrathchild America-back in the 80's.

index.php/fa/2596/0/
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Eric Strand

• http://www.oberonproductions.com
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2005, 06:33:21 PM »

Brandon Burfeind wrote on Wed, 21 September 2005 19:07

Black seems to say "professional" in almost every industry/business.  

When my dad was buying a Canon Digital Rebel (camera) he had to choose between black and silver.  I made him get the black because it is way more professional, and that's just hobby photography.  

Hate to jump back a little on this, but you're wrong on this one. Check out Canon's high-end super-drool-worthy "L" series lenses. They're all white. If you ever see a photo of a group of photo-journalists (especially sports), you'll pick them out instantly. That's probably the point. for example . .

index.php/fa/2597/0/

Jonathan Woytek

• http://www.dryrose.com
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2005, 07:42:43 PM »

A number of years ago, I bought myself 1000' of single-pair mic cable (small diameter).  It was something along the lines of Belden 9452, 1800B or 1801B (I'd honestly have to go and look at the box to see its designation).  I think 1000' of it ran me maybe $300-ish or so.  That was one of the best investments I've made in terms of interconnection systems, and probably one of the top ten investments in infrastructure that I could make.  Interconnect snakes, inter- and intra-rack patch cables and snakes, special adapters, and on and on and on....  I still have a few hundred feet of the stuff left, and it keeps getting used for all sorts of things.  

Buy some cable, velcro, shrink tubing, appropriate connectors, and go to town.  You'll be a happier person when you're finished.  Smile  

My current project is to make some multipin interconnect snakes, so that when I finally get a new board, I can reduce my setup time some more.

jonathan
Jonathan Woytek
Dryrose Productions

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2005, 08:30:42 PM »

Mike McNany wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 18:02

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 15:20

index.php/fa/2595/0/

While the comment was to Tom, count me in, too. I hate your rack.

Of course the milk crate foundation is a destroyed mixer (Peavey RQ series, I see) in the making. But you need to get or make (far cheaper) several 2 & 3 foot mic cables for patching AND some 5/6 foot ones for the same. Not only looks neater but they can be easily loomed (or not) and coiled up, left in the racks for transport with one end connected. I went through a spiral wrap loom phase, major pain in the wrist to change, harder to coil but easy to have cables come out along the length. Then the split corragated tubing phase, still hard to coil. Eventually moving to several snakes for inserts & phone plug patching and also XLR looms using short velcro wraps every 9-10 inches, REAL easy to coil. Each snake gets wrapped with a big velcro scrap and left coiled all hooked up in the rack. That way you only have to connect one end of the cables, cutting the rack cabling time in half. Bottom line: shorty XLR cables make for easy wrapping, no tangling, and no rats' nest.

Mike McNany

Yeah, the rack is a mess. But, I keep changing its config. for each show I do. Sometimes is for mons, others for mains. One of these days Im gonna buy a new rack, get more gear, and make it look pretty.

As for the "milk crate foundation is a destroyed mixer in the making," yes it could be. I only set it up like that in my basement though. At shows I have a nice table to put the rack and board on. It just works for my basement. Doesnt take up a lot of space and works for the "home Theatre" system. Smile

index.php/fa/2598/0/
Not all change is good change.

Ryan Lantzy

• http://www.lhsoundandlight.com
Re: How do you keep the books on the shelves?
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2005, 10:38:59 PM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Thu, 22 September 2005 20:30

index.php/fa/2598/0/

Wow Evan.  Where is the big projection screen?  Very Happy

I never really thought about using my stuff for home theater.  Somehow, I don't think 4 LA400s would be the best thing for a 100 year old house's foundation.  Twisted Evil

Still, my collegue often jokes that he wants installed KF940s for his home theater subs. hahahahaha.
Ryan Lantzy
"In the beginner's mind the possibilities are many, in the expert's mind they are few."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.