ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PA Direction  (Read 2894 times)

lamar spencer

PA Direction
« on: December 23, 2005, 03:38:38 PM »

I would really appreciate any thoughts from the group to resolve the following dilemma:

For our three vocalist blues rock band playing smaller venues, I have been using a Yorkville mpx8 power mixer (8 channels, 400 watts @ 8ohms + 200 watts @ 2 ohms)  The two mains are JBL SF 15's, 500watts Program and 1000 watts max, and the twin monitors are Yamaha s12me rated at 250 watts program and 500 max.  All speakers are 8 ohm.  Currently we are not miking amps but I would like that option.

I'm worried that at some larger or outside gigs I'm seeing too much clipping and want to move to a higher power setup.

So, my current choice is:

Choice A: Purchase a Yorkville M1610 power mixer($650), which has two amps at 800 watts (8 ohms)and ten channels.  I'm thinking that this will be a much better match for the mains and while it's more than the monitors need, it should give us more power and reduce clipping.  I'm also thinking that I can keep the mpx8 (our drummer has volunteered to buy it from me) and use it when necessary to drive just the monitors by using the line in (?)on the M1610, and use the M1610 to drive the mains at 800 watts per speaker, possibly adding some additional main cabinets or monitors if needed.

Choice B: Switch directions and buy a used Yamaha mixer ($200) and a separate power amp of approx. 1600 watts. I guess I would also need a separate reverb unit.  Cost would probably be somewhat more than the Yorkville option.

Since I am my own 52 year old roadie, hauling additional equipment is an issue.  

I know that powered mixers are often dismissed as being pretty limiting, but the Yorkville M1610 has more power than most and that is where I am currently leaning.  Can anyone give me a nudge or suggest a different direction?

Thanks.

Lamar

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
Re: PA Direction
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 05:11:04 PM »

Hi Lamar,

First, please change your alias from lrs11 to your first and last name as per forum rules. Anyways...

What you may want to consider is option "C". Stick with your current setup (or maybe get a slightly higher powered powered mixer like the yorkville you mentioned) if it is working good for you and hire a sound company or rent the gear you need when you have larger outdoor gigs. It will probably save you some money unless you are doing outdoor shows on a regular basis. The other advantage is that you don't have to lift a finger. The company will have to deal with hauling the cabs and setting them up. Just some food for thought. Good luck!
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Mike_Monte

• http://www.allegrochamberplayers.com
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 09:14:48 PM »

Hello, I used a rig similar to yours in the 90's with a 5 piece GB band doing the club / wedding circuit in in Newport/Providence, RI area.  I used (and still own) a Crate 8PCMPD powered mixer.  I started using the unit for mains only, and then used it for mains/monitors.  As our venues grew in size, I had to upgrade the power for the FOH. To do so I purchased a crown power base 2 amp and ran the rig as follows: Post EQ (from the mixer) to the Crown amp to the FOH cabs.  I ran the Monitor out (of the mixer) to the Power amp in (on the mixer) and ran the monitors off of the powered mixer's amps.  I used the attenuators on the Crown amp to control the FOH volume.  Aside form a bit of "tubbyness" on the monitor end of things, the rig served me well.  Our group was successful. It was easy to set up and run from stage.  As the years have gone by my rig has evolved into a modular system that can accomodate 1200+ at an outdoor venue.  My system these days requires quite a bit of set up time.  At times (during my busy season) I miss the easy set up / tear down of my powered mixer/ power amp rig.  My suggestion: (if you do not need more mic channels than your mixer has....)purchase a seperate power amp for your FOH cabs and use the mixer's amp(s) to run the monitors.  New toys may be a "kick" to set up in the beginning, but if you gig once/twice per week, it will get old really fast.  Mike M      

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 09:21:26 PM »

Tom Manchester wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 17:11

What you may want to consider is option "C". Stick with your current setup (or maybe get a slightly higher powered powered mixer like the yorkville you mentioned) if it is working good for you and hire a sound company or rent the gear you need when you have larger outdoor gigs. It will probably save you some money unless you are doing outdoor shows on a regular basis. The other advantage is that you don't have to lift a finger. The company will have to deal with hauling the cabs and setting them up. Just some food for thought. Good luck!

What Tom said.

Evan
Not all change is good change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.