ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: small, decent mixer  (Read 2791 times)

headdude

small, decent mixer
« on: August 23, 2005, 12:15:52 am »

I am looking for a small format mixer that is easy to carry in and set up and can run a small show without any outboard gear. It will be used for small bands and also corporate meetings and seminars for featured speakers etc. It needs to be dependable and quiet as I don't want any hiss or other noise when 500 people are listening to the president of the company give his speech. I have a Mackie 24/8 that I have used to do sound for bands and have had no problems with it in the 6+ years I have had it and I use it alot. I just want something smaller and self contained as I am doing more of these corporate type gigs. My current board is too big for one person to move around and I have to bring in my effects rack for the power supply, etc. I want a small board with at least 16 channels and fx. I am looking at Mackie cfx20mkII, or Yamaha MG 24/14fx. I have a connection that can get me a GREAT DEAL on either of these boards. I know alot of you will recommend the A&H MixWizard. I would have to buy that retail so I'm leaning towards the Mackie. If you can pass on any personal experiences with any of these boards it would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Wade Biery

Re: small, decent mixer
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 01:33:45 am »

I have the 12 channel Mackie CFX that has been quite good with the exception that the right side went out a bit, banging on it brings it back.....other than that it sounds reasonable and gets the job done, and the effects aren't bad for built-in....

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 11:17:48 am »

The CFX boards are ok for what you are looking at. I like the built in efx, they get the job done pretty well. Ive mixed on a cfx20 in the past and it worked pretty well.

Whats your budget? There are a few other more expensive, better sounding options... A&H mixwiz...

Not all change is good change.

Weogo Reed

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 10:32:25 pm »

Hi,

I suggest a good look at the Yamaha 01V96.

Good health,  Weogo

Christopher Myers

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 10:57:36 am »

I'll second the 01v96.  You'll have way more control than any analog mixer it's size.  However I have the 01v and the faders are quite noisy, so you might get some turning heads when checking auxs/buses/fx sends.  And I'm not exactly sure of the dimensions, but the 01v96 isn't exactly small compared to other "compact" boards.  

Or, you can get an analog rackmount mixer (MixWiz!) and a mixer rack case with 3 or 4 spaces underneath, for say a couple stereo or 4 channel compressors, an fx proc, and a driverack.  You may even replace your main rig on some gigs with this one!  
Chris Myers
Tangent Productions, LLC

David Kaiser

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 03:32:29 pm »

Has anybody tried the Alesis Studio 32? I know that it is a copy of the 1604vlz, but I like its features. Does anyone have an opinion/experience with this board? Price on Ebay seems decent.
Went from Shure Pro Master 705 to Mackie 1604VLZ. Feel free to donate a Soundcraft FX16 or APB Prorack House.

IsraelRaz

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 06:55:42 am »

Hi.If you need no more than 16 channels then go Dynacord CMS 1600 which is undoubtedly the best sounding/fx toy on the market today.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.