ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: DANLEY Sound Labs TH-115?  (Read 69571 times)

Johan Rademakers

Re: DANLEY Sound Labs TH-115?
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 05:41:43 PM »

Quote:

BP4 lends itself to average sensitivity

With BP 4th (and 6th) order you can choose between an average sensitivity with large bandwith and high sensitivity with a small bandwith. It probably uses two costumdrivers with low fs and high Vas. With the frequency band optimised between 30 and 60 Hz.

Still it's quite much.

Mvg Johan

Michael_Elliston¶

• http://www.geocities.com/xobt
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2005, 06:32:34 PM »

Johan wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 09:41

Quote:

BP4 lends itself to average sensitivity

With BP 4th (and 6th) order you can choose between an average sensitivity with large bandwith and high sensitivity with a small bandwith. It probably uses two costumdrivers with low fs and high Vas. With the frequency band optimised between 30 and 60 Hz.

Still it's quite much.

Mvg Johan

Hi Johan.
It is an interesting idea to use low Fs inefficient units on a resonant system to increase their sensitivity again Wink

Stephen Robertson

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2005, 06:33:11 PM »

I pose the following questions out of ignorance rather than doubt. Smile

Does the Tapped horn really meet the criteria for a horn either? Especially in the case of the PB-12 and the vortex where the mouth is so small. To answer my own question I assume it is because the TH does serve as an acoustic transformer even if the mouth is too small to have pattern control?

How does the TH differ from a transmission line?

How does the tapped horn avoid the problem the old scoops had with the rear wave arriving late and causing cancellations?

Is the TH truly a new alignment or a method of optimizing an old one?

With the sensitivity being relatively high on most of the models it seems harmonic distortion should be much lower than a front loaded design, but with the drivers exposed does that mean more distortion relative to a traditional bent bass horn where the drivers are buried behind several curves?

How does the TH avoid excessive group delay and messy transient response?

How much propagation delay is exhibited by the various TH models?

Some of the spec sheets include the statement:

"Low frequency pattern control extending well below 100Hz is achieved by adding a second subwoofer. Unlike many designs on the market today the TH achieves this control without compromising output or additional signal processing expense."

Is this increase simply because of more mouth and surface area or is there an additional trick?

Why is the sky blue?

Where do babies come from?

Why do we drive on parkways and park........

Thanks, Smile
Stephen Robertson

Johan Rademakers

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 02:05:39 AM »

I found it really difficult to simulate a 4th order bandpass that with the use of 18" would have the Frc from the rearchamber, low enough to get to a substantial 30 Hz (not even mention 20 Hz). Unless the Fs is lowered on some specific units to get the Frc low enough (or the backchamber most be at least double the size as I took it, as you know efficiency drops radically below Fs in general).
There are some low Fs units out there that still are efficient (like PD 21), even tho you wouldn't expect it because Fs seems substantial in the next formula.

n0= (Fs^3 x Vas)/Qes. That's of course why it should have higher Vas and (very) low Qes to compensate, as well as high Sd, BL etc. Couldn't think of that excisting already, so should be custom. Void V18 1000 and SD-18 do both excellent jobs in X1, while Fs is still relatively low for such efficiency.

So it might sound crazy but it might just work.

Mvg Johan

Randy Pence

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2005, 06:00:08 AM »

F1 says they do a bit of customizing with the drivers to fit the application they want, but i only know and udnerstand enough about this depth to sit back and learn.

nice thread so far.  Interesting point about what is classified as a horn.

oh, and maybe since im not a church guy I find the danley website okay.  A bit more about the sonic boom stuff would be cool.

Michael_Elliston¶

• http://www.geocities.com/xobt
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2005, 10:38:53 PM »

I agree. Or you could use ACE BASS to modify the drivers parameters by electrical means!

Steve Shafer

TH 115 Sub-Driver looks like an RCF??
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2005, 03:30:40 PM »

Anyone know who is supplying the drivers?  Just wondering if this is an RCF driver.

Steve S

Ivan Beaver

Re: TH 115 Sub-Driver looks like an RCF??
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2005, 03:50:26 PM »

There are various manufacturers used in different cabinets. No RCF anywhere.  The one in the TH115 is B&C.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Marcel Groen

• http://not yet
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2005, 10:47:58 AM »

Best diy-ers,

Since the year 2000 i became "silent" reader of the Lab subwoofer forum. Till now i haven`t post a message on this forum, but i am a happy owner of the Labsubs.
Since Tom Danley brings out the tapped horn i became very curious off these type`s of subwoofers. The most interesting part for me is or these horn could accurately be modeled from a scratch and would these horns give the "free" sound like a vented/closed sub does?

Marcel

Cool Adicted to bass Cool

Phil Pope

• http://www.apacheacoustics.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2005, 04:03:48 PM »

I have been trying to figure out what is happening inside the tapped horn designs for a while.  On a few of the pictures you can see either where one side of the driver is mounted near the mouth or where there is an access panel which presumably gives access to one or other side of the driver.  I can't see any relation between the distance of the back of the driver from the mouth and the frequency response or impedance chart. In some of the designs the back side of the driver is so near the mouth it can't be horn loaded and its output must be insignificant compared to what is coming down the horn.

I have seen a design where the back chamber has a port that enters the horn further back than the driver

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/messages/87962.html

but Tom Danley replied to that thread suggesting that it is difficult to load a vent with a horn because of the frequency dependent loading of a horn.  Perhaps you could use several ports all loading over a very small frequency range.

Perhaps the tapped horn uses several small apertures to form the horn throat.  I'm not sure if it is viable but could the size of the apertures be used to offset the low impedance presented by the horn at certain frequencies?

Phil
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.