ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: DANLEY Sound Labs TH-115?  (Read 69578 times)

[x]

Re: DANLEY Sound Labs TH-115?
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 06:14:14 PM »

Come on, someone's got to agree with me about the web site...

One professional company that does mesmerizing work is DeepBlue. I've seen several of the sites that they've designed for and it is truly fantastic work. You could have them put together a graphics package and create the pages in template form and then you can add the content yourself.

http://www.deepblue.com/

One website DeepBlue did for a smaller operation is the Sentry Siren website. Sentry Siren builds outdoor warning sirens for use in weather and municipal emergencies, but primarily for tornadoes. http://www.sentrysiren.com/
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

Tom Danley

Re: DANLEY multi-reply
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 08:36:42 PM »

Hi all

I am really busy, I hope you guys don’t mind if I try to reply to everyone in one writing.

First, Rory, yes the website is some canned software so it is “less cool” looking than ideal.   Web site design is a world I am a blind stranger in however, so I can’t help much other than send a bunch of olden days photos and make thing to put on it..  If you’re a web designer and feel like it, (call first of course) go to Atlanta and show Mike your stuff, who knows he might offer you a job.

Hi Wayne, the th115 does look kind of like a scoop, a concession to cosmetics, the th28, th115 and Vortex all have the “Tap” (location of the “other side” of the driver) near the mouth, while the Tower and several in process do not.  It is as you describe, constructive addition, in effect, the drivers radiator area changes with frequency.

Hi Steve
You know that 120 lb does seem “light”, we will double check that, like Ivan said, there is “wood” inside.
The th-212 was dropped mostly due to it having computer screen disease.
You know, it looked easier to move on the computer screen than made in wood, although it worked fine..  On the Vortex, you are facing the outlet. The funny shape opening, well I can’t think of a funny answer so its because of the shape of the horn passages behind.
Yes, the Vortex could be mounted facing down or another boundary, I have modeled that and it does a similar thing but that configuration has not been tested and confirmed.

Tamas

Yeah that’s another thing on“the big list” of things to do.
The Bdeaps had very significant forward directivity when in a quad, these should be similar due to the identical size.  
AS I recall, the group of 4 Bdeaps measured 97.5 dB midband @ 1W @ 10 meters.
Both the 115 and Vortex in arrays should have (yet to be verified in real life) significant directivity, without processing.
Thanks

Got to run and do some consoling, my daughter’s boy friend just broke up with her tonight. Ahh those fun teen years.
Best to all,

Tom Danley

Wayne Parham

Re: DANLEY multi-reply
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 10:11:33 PM »

Very interesting.

We're all still hoping you'll come to the Prosound Shootout, or maybe send Mark or Ivan.  If no one can come represent you, perhaps you would like to send a basshorn and we'll put it on the website for you.

We're making every effort to ensure testing is fair, accurate and impartial, and you can help arrange the test conditions if you want.  You were always invited to do that, and still are.

Lots of people are lining up to attend, so much that we're contemplating making the event a two-day deal.  Every one of Fitzmaurice Tuba systems will be there, from the smallest to the largest.  Also there will be my 12 Pi horn, a Bassmaxx model and a JBL bass bin.  Everyone would like to see your participation too.

Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Paul Valenzuela

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 02:03:31 AM »

Come on, someone's got to agree with me about the web site...

I dont post to much, but I think when someone with the recognition and trayectory as Mr. Tom Danley doesn't need fancy marketng.

People who knows his job, are they customers; guys who  knows little about speakers (or nothing) or him, should not even think on buying his work (what's a Ferrari for a farmer?? PS. I was a farmer)

Let's stick to desing and technology and leave marketing to people who really need's marketing.

Yours,
Paul Fdo Valenzuela
Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico ........ City of the sun

[x]

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 07:50:37 AM »

That's all very nice and idealistic, but believe it or not there are still some big decision-makers at live sound companies who do not visit the Live Audio Board, and who could benefit greatly from using Danley Sound Lab products. Sure, word of Danley's reputation will "eventually" get around, but when Tom's investors come around and ask him to show them the money, "eventually" won't really cut it. And I feel the "Ferrari for a farmer" analogy, while quite cleverly worded (kudos), doesn't really fit here. Instead of a ferrari, think about one of those big John Deere tractors with double front and rear tires, compared to one of those little foreign-built Kubota tractors. It's not like better speakers are simply a luxury, for the enjoyment of the owner. Instead, it would give

Tom, I didn't necessarily mean that you would hire _myself_ per se, but some professional company of some type that is located somewhere closer to you (right now I lack the means to fly to Atlanta) to produce a web site with better organization and design, which will catch and hold the attention of visitors. It would be sort of like the templates you are using now, only spiffier, more distinctive, and better organized. You (or someone working for you) would just put in the content yourself (or themselves). Or, you could have the web design firm also deal with updates, but that would be slower than being able to do it yourself. I think that Danley Sound Labs should come up with a logo that will be more recognizable at a distance as well, like EAW and Community. That was the major focus when I was designing my concept logo design. You could show that to whatever professional company you hire and get them to crank out a more spiffy version.

And while I've got Tom's ear, how about a small tapped horn using 8" woofers but with carrying handles for porable use? And, perhaps a speaker using the same coaxial 8" as the SH-100 but in a smaller-format pole-mountable portable version? If you just want to make an existing design fit the bill for the small portable subwoofer, the old version of the TH-28 with the sort of flat profile with the opening in the middle of the front would be nice. Then carrying handles on the ends, or on the rear corners, and putting the SpeakOns on the rear panel, would be all that would be needed for portable use. Or a tapped horn with a 10" driver might also work well for this application, and might be a way to get a less expensive product for this portable product sector. The horn would just sit on its largest side panel (sideways) and make a good wide base for pole-mounting a full-range top speaker. Please try to make your portable full-range top speaker have a list price somewhere under $799, so Danley Sound Labs technology can be more accessable to sound companies. You could also make versions of your SH-50 speaker with ATM flytracks up the sides of the enclosure front, so you could have flyable touring system that would show all those people who think line arrays are the shiznit what's what.
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

Stephen Robertson

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 11:08:39 AM »

I'll jump in and agree with you on the website and marketing in general. Regardless of how good the product is. The reality is that   customers for these products are generally not audio people. Pastors, Worship leaders, Club owners, and rental customers write the checks for this kind of product. The big boys know this and market accordingly. This is why products using 60 year old technology are marketed as revolutionary innovations on glossy full page ads in non audio publications. They are not necessarily trying to sell to "us". Customers who are audio people with a solid understanding of theory and experience with lots of product will be able to judge the product on its merit. But these people are few and far between and they all work for somone. And that someone almost always will always view the product through the lens of the marketing image portrayed by the company.

As far as products I would like to see. A vortex equivalent that can fit under a stage (the reason I ask about the down-fire option). A SH-100 horn mounted in a wedge should be simple to develop. SH-50 type horns in a variety of coverage patterns. And a wide angle down fill box to use with the SH-50.

Steve

[x]

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 01:01:07 PM »

Yeah, I really think the side firing form factor is going to end up being awkward when used more than 1 per side. An endfiring horn subwoofer would couple well with more horn subwoofers while not having a large profile. Perhaps a design that looks kind of like the older endfiring TH-28 but with the big single-15 in the mouth instead of two eights would be the most suitable to large-format touring arrays. I also would like to see the old TH-28 come back as a TH-28E Endfiring version. The new TH-28 doesn't have the same sort of versatility that would let it be placed under a low stage. However, the TH-28E should have its inputs on the back of the enclosure and not on the top. At my church, the stage is up on 14-16" risers which would easily fit one or two TH-28 subwoofers underneath. But they probably would not fit the current version of the TH-28. The trend in designs like these is really towards the endfiring boxes. The Twister is an interesting experiment, but the real moneymaker would be in a version of the Vortex that is endfiring.

Randy Pence

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 10:18:14 AM »

Would the infrabass from funktion one also fit into this tapped horn catagory?  It is designed to play from from 20-90, but in practice is often limted in it high freq and augmented with the f218 playing hte higher sub material.  Tony Andrews has also always been a horn guy and his webpage marketing claims a completely new loading design.

Walt de Jong

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 12:46:27 PM »

No,

The Funktion One Infrabass is a fourth order bandpass. It has two closed chamers for the 18" woofers. The middle chamber works both as a chamber as port.

In all Funktion One products the back of the driver is contained in a closed volume. Off course there is a reason to do that.

Best regards,

Walt

Michael_Elliston¶

• http://www.geocities.com/xobt
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 03:06:15 PM »

Walt wrote on Thu, 15 September 2005 04:46

No,

The Funktion One Infrabass is a fourth order bandpass. It has two closed chamers for the 18" woofers. The middle chamber works both as a chamber as port.

In all Funktion One products the back of the driver is contained in a closed volume. Off course there is a reason to do that.

Best regards,

Walt

BP4 lends itself to average sensitivity,how is the quoted sensitivity achieved ?

Secondly,why do they attach 'horn' to anything that is remotely loud! It could ruin the name of the horn by using highly resonant systems like tuned pipes/BP.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.