ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Parametric EQ for Sealed Sub.  (Read 2484 times)

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
Good Parametric EQ for Sealed Sub.
« on: January 10, 2006, 10:47:16 PM »

I know this isn't specifically a prosound question.  But I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with any good mono, 2-3 filter parametric EQ's (Preferably with Overlap-able filters)  It is to be used to EQ the bottom for a sealed sub.  Right now we don't have the time to get a Linkwitz Transform Circuit made and chassied etc.  The RANE PE 17 looks like a great option but its a little more than we are hoping to spend.  My boss doesn't want to go Digital.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Antone-

Mark Seaton

Re: Good Parametric EQ for Sealed Sub.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 04:56:07 PM »

Antone Atmarama Bajor wrote on Tue, 10 January 2006 21:47

I know this isn't specifically a prosound question.  But I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with any good mono, 2-3 filter parametric EQ's (Preferably with Overlap-able filters)  It is to be used to EQ the bottom for a sealed sub.  Right now we don't have the time to get a Linkwitz Transform Circuit made and chassied etc.  The RANE PE 17 looks like a great option but its a little more than we are hoping to spend.  My boss doesn't want to go Digital.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Antone-

Not going digital makes it tough for options other than the Rane you mention.  You could actually get a Linkwitz-Transform type circuit in the Basis unit from Marchand.  A better option is to pick up a 2 ch. DSP unit like a Rane or QSC and do it that way.  A L/T can be implemented with a 2nd order shelving filter (often one standard shelving filter can get you close enough) and usually two bands of parametric EQ; or only one depending on what sort of Q manipulation you need to do.  The key is to measure the response of the driver and not just go off the model.  On any bigger excursion driver worth EQing in a sealed box the Le will be significant enough to make the real response rather different than what's measured (with all but a couple modeling programs).
Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

John Halliburton

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 05:59:30 PM »

small, temporary, and cheap, plus I have no opinion on the device other than it looks cool, nor am I endorsing Muscian's Friend, they're just the first response to the Google search:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/1 84127?src=HC007

Best regards,

John

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 02:38:58 PM »

I saw that one.  Its "mid" Parametric doesn't sweep low enough to be usefull to us.  Otherwise we would have ordered it already.

Thanks though.  The RANE is over kill but I'm sure We can use it.  For some reason my Boss wants to stay away from digital for this customer (Luddite?).  Otherewise I think he would be getting one of BSS's new little Xover Racks.

Everything will ultimately be tuned with a little D2 Unit with a 4 Mike array.  And if need be a TEF 25.

Antone-

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.