ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CREST AUDIO PRO AMPS?  (Read 6800 times)

Brad Gibson

• http://WWW.CAPITALAPRODUCTIONS.COM
CREST AUDIO PRO AMPS?
« on: September 23, 2005, 02:51:40 pm »

Does any one use the Crest Pro 9200 amps?  I would like to know a bit more about them.  

Thanks
Brad G

Nic Rudd

Re: CREST AUDIO PRO AMPS?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 10:44:43 am »

We use them. We have 3 powering 6 EAW SB750 Dual 18 subs. What questions do you have about them.
Nic Rudd

Brad Gibson

• http://WWW.CAPITALAPRODUCTIONS.COM
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 01:06:41 pm »

Well I was just looking for a good review.  What you like what you dont like and so on.

Thanks
Brad Gibson

Adam Mottley

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 12:10:45 pm »

I'd like to know a bit about the Crest Pro series as well. A search of PSW/Charlotte has sporadic information about this amp under actual usage. I am looking to replace heavy, power hungry Macrotechs, and the Crest Pro series looks interesting.

Points  I'd like to know:

A/C power consumption (the Crest documentation shows the 9200 to be a VERY hungry amp)

Performance(at different bandpasses/impedance loads)

Reliability

Thanks,

Adam

"Why do you call this research ? I thought you were trying to find something new."

A quote from an unknown engineer

Greg Franus

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 03:57:34 pm »

I have one powering either 4 (4 ohms per side) or 6 (2.6 ohms per side) EVX-180B's...depending on my set-up. I also have the 8200 and 5200 in a tri-amp set-up.

I took eveything to work one day for an outdoors "test run" to see how the system would perform with my entire rig (FOH and monitors) connected. That would include 2 MTL-1X's, 2 T-18X's (they're T-18's modified with EVX-180B's), 2 T251+'s and 2 T252+'s (all bi-amped). I also had my 2 CA6's running 4 SM12V's going at the same time.

I put ALL of these on one circuit, running at unity gain through everything, and was getting close to 22 amps (during heavy bass parts) after about thirty minutes. This was running a CD and not an actual live situation. Although this wasn't a scientific test, it does give you something to go on.

I ran this...2 MTL-1X's, 2 T252+'s, and 4 SM12V's during a show. I was told I had two separate circuits for my feed. Halfway through the second set, I lost power. Come to find out, EVERYTHING was on one 20 circuit...and I had it "full tilt".

I've really enjoyed these amps and have nothing negative to say about them.
Greg
ò¿ó

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 10:02:53 pm »

Greg Franus wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 15:57

I've really enjoyed these amps and have nothing negative to say about them.

I'll second that. I've got them for my mains, an 8200 on subs (running at 2 ohms), a 7200 on lows (4 ohms) and a 5200 on highs (4 ohms). The system kicks, sounds great, and I've never had any power problems. I've managed to blow a 15a breaker (on purpose) while driving 4 ohms per side off my 8200 just to see if it could be done, but I had to work at it.

Feel free to give me a call to talk, I recommend them without hesitation.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Adam Mottley

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 11:24:36 pm »

Bennett & Greg,

Thanks for the input. Looks like the Macro's may be headed for the Lab Marketplace or E-Bay. The Crest Pro series looks like just the ticket to power my new system. My racks and wallet should be *much* lighter.... Wink

Thanks again guys,

Adam
"Why do you call this research ? I thought you were trying to find something new."

A quote from an unknown engineer

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 12:18:41 am »

Quote:

...The Crest Pro series looks like just the ticket to power my new system....

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I think the 9200 is a fine amp for today's easily roadable racks. The word I got on the back channel was that the 9200 was optimized for size, weight, and ease of manufacturing with audio quality pushed as far as possible within that schema. And J.D. Bennett is certainly capable of going the distance along any conceivable engineering goal! If you wanted a Crest amp where the importance of audio quality was placed foremost all the way from the first cocktail napkin drawing to the final AC cable grommet you'd have to hunt down the Crest 9001--a beautiful bear of a beast at 110 lbs. Not a popular choice any more for road gigs...

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.