ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help supporting a cluster of 3 Renkus-Heinz CE153K/6K from a wall  (Read 1749 times)

Dan Gruner

I am about to undertake an installation with requires two clusters of 3 Renkus-Heins CE153/6K's to be hung from a wall in a sports hall.  Whilst I have plenty of experience with system specification and certain aspects of installation, I do not have much experience in flying speaker boxes and obtaining the necessary hardware.  I have been in touch with R-H in the States and they have pointed me in certain directions, including contacting the UK distributor Beyerdynamic of which I am in the process of doing.  Unlike other manufactures, R-H do not seem to make an "off the shelf" bracket designed to mount a cluster on a wall and they think that at 43Kg each, trying to hang three off of a single bracket may not be possible due to the weight.  The speakers are equipped with eyelets for flying, since they came out of a previous installation, although flying them direct from the ceiling in this installation will NOT be possible - they will have to be mounted on the walls.

I would very much welcome some advice and pointers to UK companies (preferably in the London area) which would be able to make/supply me with suitable mounting hardware and give me all the necessary advice?  Due to other logistical difficulties, I may prefer to bring in a company to fix the boxes to the wall and I complete the rest of the installation myself.  Does anybody know and can recommend a company?  Time is of the essence, since the installation must be completed in the next 3 weeks.

Many thanks.  Smile

Dan

Dan Gruner, Director
Loud Audio Ltd.
Tel: 0845 0944386 24hr cell: 07590 044386

d&b audiotechnik loudspeakers & amplifiers

Ivan Beaver

Re: Need help supporting a cluster of 3 Renkus-Heinz CE153K/6K from a wall
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 06:01:35 pm »

That is a lot of weight to support from a wall-even if you do somhow manage to get a bracket.  What is the wall made of? and how will you attach it to the wall.  Why can you not hang from the ceiling?  If there is not access-then cut a hole and climb through.  Fix it later.  You may have to "fly around" in the ceiling and add some structure to hang from.

It is better to be safe than sorry- "I thought it would hold".
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Duncan Hutchison

• http://www.destiny-church.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 10:02:15 am »

Dan,

Can I suggest that you get in touch with a local Civil or Structural Engineering Consultant? Someone with either MICE or MIStructE after their name (FICE or FIStructE would also apply, just means you're paying the guy more money for his experience!). This indicates membership of a suitable professional body to assess the structure you will be hanging the speakers from and they'll be able to calculate how much load an area of the wall/column/beam/ceiling slab can take.

If calling/writing, ask if the company is a member of the Association of Consulting Engineers (ACE).

If using steel cable they can advise on the point loads or if using a bracket then they can advise you on the loads imposed on the bracket at various points so you can have one made and know that it's going to cope.

If you wish, I can pass you the contact details for the Bristol office of the company I work for, though you'll probably find a smaller, local guy will be cheaper.

Just my
Duncan Hutchison
Technical Team Deputy Leader
Sound & Recording Engineer
Destiny Church Glasgow
1120 Pollokshaws Road
Glasgow
G41 3QP
Scotland
UK
www.destiny-church.com

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 12:00:10 pm »

Im with Ivan in that if at _all_ possible they need to be hung from the cieling with proper rated supports and rigging.

If that isn't possible (I can't understand why not) then you better pray that you have a concrete or block wall. If you do, you can probably get a structural enginear to design a piece of plate, or maybe a grid to bolt through (possibly to) the wall that will support the weight of the boxes in a distributed fashion.

It'll still be much easier/better to do the cieling way.

Karl P
TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

Milo Hallahan

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 02:15:19 am »

Dan

Could I suggest the following option for companies who I have dealt with frequently for custom bracketry and have always proved very helpful and professional. They also are backed by the appropriate insurance!

Powerdrive in Leighton Buzzard. Talk to Nigel T : +44 (1525) 370 292

Technique in Billinghurst on 01403 784678 (make all flyware for Turbosound)

Loxley Associates in Chalfont. Talk to Robin on 07831808269

None of them will be cheap but them quality and safety never is.

Milo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.