ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL sr4719x replacement options  (Read 18551 times)

Jim Duyck

Re: JBL sr4719x replacement options
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 05:58:20 PM »

Our band got one of our SR4719X's drivers reconed back in the spring and it was about $175 parts and labor.  I can't remember the name of the place, but they're in Dallas, TX, and all they do are speakers.  It sounds great and looks perfect.  The owner even checked the leads over to maker sure they weren't going to touch anything.  They turned it around in less than 24 hours because we were in a pinch.  It was that easy.

Surely you did't damage the cast basket!!! Rolling Eyes

~jim~
~jim~

jefdiamond

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 01:13:09 AM »

Thanks for everyon'e input!!!  I wonder if anyone has access to those who can recone the 2241H's near the Oklahoma City area???  I'm not sure if I trust the recone kits available on eBay...

jefdiamond

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 01:16:36 AM »

Also, wonder if you guys know the anser to this one: the reason the JBL 2241H original went out was because somehow the speaker was incorrectly phased.  Perhaps a simple human error on the manufacturer's part?

I didn't even know what caused the speaker to go out until I decided to completely pull the driver out.  I found that the positive and negative speaker wires were reversed as thay attached to the actual speaker.

So what is wrong...and how do I fix this driver considering the above issue?

[x]

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 07:47:15 AM »

It is a known fact that on JBL 2200-series drivers, the positive and negative terminals are reversed. Perhaps this was done by JBL to ensure that people would only ever try to replace drivers with other JBLs because of the terrible results one would encounter if the two drivers in a box were out of phase. On the outside of the box (at the connector), positive corresponds to positive, but inside the box, positive goes into the black and negative goes into the red on the woofer itself.
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

jefdiamond

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 07:08:43 AM »

THOSE TRICKY JBL GUYS!!!!  Okay, so...positive is actualy negative and vice-versa.  Meaning when I replace this driver...I need to keep the above in mind.

Steve Shafer

Check JBL Pro website for polarity issues
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 09:43:31 PM »

Jeff:

Check the JBL pro website for the memo on polarity and JBL drivers.  Also, you should be able to get the wiring diagrams for each model cabinet to check that everything is wired correctly.

www.jblpro.com

If you have to, use a nine volt battery to make sure that both of the drivers in the cabinet are wired to the same polarity and are thus in phase with each other.  

Did your recone shop use the new insulated tinsel lead kit?  If not, you do not have the latest JBL OEM recone kit.  I had a JBL 4719x that used to light up like a christmass tree everytime laid it long wise on the ground.  The factory cut the tinsel leads too long and they were not the new insulated upgrade.  

As i use that sub both in laying down and upright position, i would not use a recone that did not have the insulated tinsel leads.  I have had too many problems with the older kits and with the factory and recone shops cutting the of tinsel leads longer than they should be.

Other than these two issues, the 2241 has been a great driver.

Steve S

Travis Valois

Re: Check JBL Pro website for polarity issues
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 02:52:55 PM »

Quote:

FWIW-i have heard of people using the JBL 2242's as direct replacements for the 2241's, but this required some tuning touch ups and even more $$. However, they loved the results.

Higher power handling, larger cone excursion....I've always been a fan of the 2242 over the 2241.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.