ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Platform renovations..........  (Read 2305 times)

chasetower

Platform renovations..........
« on: August 23, 2004, 09:42:54 pm »

Hi All.
My church is going to be doing renovations on the stage within the year. They asked my for my input on the design and layout with the monitor system and such. I'd like to get some thoughts and feedback from you all and see what you guys would think would be best. I'd like to go IEM's on the band and get a new bi-amped monitor system for the rest(ensemble, podium, choir). Our current monitor system is all passive. It sucks.  They would also like me to look into a new PA system. Currently I have a Community SLS920 rig(mono). 8 boxes in the air and 2 XLT415 subs on the ground. I also have 4 dual 15" cabs in the air for low/mid. I'm looking at Line array to upgrade our speakers. Our roof height is around 30ft. My company just bought an EV XLC 127+ line array. Its ok but I'd like something better. I've been looking into L'Acoustic dV-dosc. I heard it at Angelus Temple in L.A. It was great. I'm basically looking to upgrade the whole Audio system in the church.  My consoles are FOH = Yamaha PM1800-40C MON = Soundcraft Spirit 3212. I'm going to go Midas for a new console. My Yamaha is starting to do some freaky things, lots of cue buttons are shot, gain pots are toast. The board is almost 18 years old, so I'd like to get a new one. I don't want digital but something with recall on it. I've been keeping my eye on a Heritage 3000. But we'll see. I don't want the Legend. I've used it before but I wouldn't want it in the church. There are too many things on that desk packed into an area thats too small. Anyways Enough rambling on here. Thanks for listening and I hope to hear some feedback from my article.
Thanks again all

Chase Tower
Victory Christian Center
Edmonton AB. Canada

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: Platform renovations..........
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 10:40:50 pm »

chasetower wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 21:42

SNIP
I'd like to go IEM's on the band and get a new bi-amped monitor system for the rest(ensemble, podium, choir). Our current monitor system is all passive. It sucks.
Your monitor system doesn't suck because it is passive, it sucks because it sucks. There are plenty of good passive monitors in the world. I don't mean to dissuade you from biamp monitors, just don't think that because they are biamp they are automatically better.  
Quote:

They would also like me to look into a new PA system. Currently I have a Community SLS920 rig(mono). 8 boxes in the air and 2 XLT415 subs on the ground. I also have 4 dual 15" cabs in the air for low/mid. I'm looking at Line array to upgrade our speakers. Our roof height is around 30ft. My company just bought an EV XLC 127+ line array. Its ok but I'd like something better. I've been looking into L'Acoustic dV-dosc. I heard it at Angelus Temple in L.A. It was great.
The dv-DOSC is one of my 2 favorite small format line array speakers, the Meyer M2D is the other. I have done many shows with the dv's, but as with any line array the geometry of the room matters as much as the geometry of the array. If the coverage pattern of the speakers matches the seating area you're rockin'. If you posted a drawing of your church you would get more helpful information.
Quote:

I'm basically looking to upgrade the whole Audio system in the church.  My consoles are FOH = Yamaha PM1800-40C MON = Soundcraft Spirit 3212. I'm going to go Midas for a new console. My Yamaha is starting to do some freaky things, lots of cue buttons are shot, gain pots are toast. The board is almost 18 years old, so I'd like to get a new one. I don't want digital but something with recall on it. I've been keeping my eye on a Heritage 3000. But we'll see. I don't want the Legend. I've used it before but I wouldn't want it in the church. There are too many things on that desk packed into an area thats too small. Anyways Enough rambling on here. Thanks for listening and I hope to hear some feedback from my article.
Thanks again all

Chase Tower
Victory Christian Center
Edmonton AB. Canada
I don't doubt that it is time to replace that old PM1800. It was a nice mid sized console in it's day, unfortunately that day was a long time ago. A Midas H3000 is a giant step up. What is it you want to recall? Do you really need all the mixes to be switchable between group/mono aux/stereo aux? The H2000 is virtually the same but with permanently configured groups and auxes. You say you don't want digital, what bad experience have you had with digital? A PM5D has all the same features as an H3000, plus 8 fx devices and dynamics on all inputs, and total recall and automation. It is every bit as easy to operate as a big analog console. It also makes a great 24 mix monitor console.

If you are doing a major renovation of the space it would pay to have a system designer/installer work with you. It should be someone with experience designing and installing church music systems, and with some kind of formal training. They should also be willing to certify the performance of the system on acceptance.

Mac Kerr

chasetower

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 08:46:07 pm »

Thanks Mac for your input. I will be having a professional installer on site with me. I would like to go dVdosc, I love the sound and they are small and compact. I also just like the analog feel and sound. I'd like to be able to just reach up and turn a knob without having to look at a screen and all that.....I'm old school i guess (i'm young though). Anyways maybe you can tell me the pros and cons of digital desks as i have only worked on them a few times. Thanks again Mac. And anyone else who has any input it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Chase

Mike Sveda

• http://www.cohglory.org/Sunday@7/index.html
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 06:38:38 am »

I would suggest you take a listen to the Midas Verona. We just picked up a 560 for our sanctuary.  The sound is incredible.  It would also make a good monitor board too.  

Quote:

The amazing reaction to Midas Verona has been Global and the feedback we have been receiving from Verona users has been astonishing. We knew that Verona was one of the best sounding mixers we'd ever designed but to have this confirmed by customer after  customer, time and time again, is fantastic.
From midas

chasetower

Verona..........
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 01:37:40 pm »

Hi Mike S.
About the Verona.....I've got 2 of them. I've had them for about 7 months. I like the sound of them I don't like the feel. I have used them many times through the course of the last 7 months. Anywyas I'm going to pass on it though. Thanks for your input though.

Chase
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 22 queries.