ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wharfedale pro user opinions  (Read 8178 times)

Andrew Makinson

wharfedale pro user opinions
« on: February 15, 2011, 12:24:24 PM »

I have some friends who asked about putting some of http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Products/CLASSICPRODUCTS/LXLXESERIES/LX153LX153E/tabid/110/Default.aspx these in their church building. 

I've never heard of them so I thought I'd ask around.  Is think they are looking at purchasing the display model at a discount.  They would pair them with these http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Products/CLASSICPRODUCTS/LXLXESERIES/LX18MBLX18MBE/tabid/114/Default.aspx subs.

-- Andrew
--
Andrew Makinson
Grace Covenant Church
Chantilly, VA

chuck clark

Re: wharfedale pro user opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 10:41:20 PM »

Hi Andrew. I have installed and personally used several of the Wharfedale LX series. It's pretty decent. I would compare it roughly to Yamaha ClubV series or Peavey SP2 series stuff. Roughly equivalent.
I would NOT recommend any of their lower line stuff but the LX, DLX and the SHO series gets good results at a reasonable price. Happy sailing!
Actually the Subs have 4" voice coils and will outperform the Yam & Peav stuff!
Chuck
PS: don't blow them up. I've had no trouble getting replacement drivers but it seems to be impossible to get a replacement for a passive crossover! !!?? 

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:20:58 AM »

The usual issue of not having any basis for assessment or comment.  What are their services like?  What is the space like?  How will they be mounted?  What do they have for the realted system processing and amplification?  What are their goals and expectations?  Do they have a budget?  Why are the looking at new speakers and what are they hoping to achieve?  They could be one of the best speakers available at any price (they're not) and could still be a poor choice for their situation.

Andrew Makinson

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:00:33 AM »

Thanks, Chuck!  I appreciate you giving that assessment. 

Brad,  they are replacing the Community MVP-12 on sticks with similar range sub that they have been borrowing.  Their room, budget, service style, goals, etc. are in the range of what they have been using.  They just can't borrow anymore.  They are aware that the speakers they are considering are not flyable and don't have pole mounts.

--
Andrew

--
Andrew Makinson
Grace Covenant Church
Chantilly, VA

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 02:54:09 PM »

Brad,  they are replacing the Community MVP-12 on sticks with similar range sub that they have been borrowing.  Their room, budget, service style, goals, etc. are in the range of what they have been using.  They just can't borrow anymore.
There are still some things to think through.  Does the system they're currently using have a crossover in the subwoofer such that they use one amplifier and run from the amp to the subwoofer and from the subwoofer to the MVP-12?  If so then there is a problem as the version of the Wharfedale Pro subwoofer linked does not have an integral crossover or high pass output and thus they would need an external crossover and separate amplifiers for the mains and subs.

I don't know what kind of deal they are getting but I believe that the Wharfedale Pro LX-153 is normally over twice the cost of a Community MVP12.  Assuming that they were happy with the MVP12 based system, then might they spend less and be perfectly happy with something else?  Could they benefit more from less expensive speakers and a basic system processor?  Do they realize that the Wharfedale Pro LX series is discontinued?

Someone could be offering them a great deal.  Or someone could be getting rid of discontinued inventory at cost while knowing that this will likely lead to your friends having to buy some other gear.  Or some of both.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 02:54:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.