ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hornsub shootout  (Read 43982 times)

Ivan Beaver

Re: Hornsub shootout
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2005, 06:06:30 PM »

Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 14:37

You've seen the data, and you have enough information to duplicate the device and test it for yourselves.

What I would like to see would be a more real world test.  Such as taking at least 4 identical subs (2 with the exchanger and 2 without-more would be better to eliminate manufacturing errors) and run them below 70Hz and run with music untill the point of failure.  They would have to be driven with identical amps (without clipping) and with identical program material-all at the same time, to begin to have any idea.  And start off loud-not quiet and work your way up.  Any real claims for any product improvement of any type requires more than 1 sample.

As has been said MANY times before-continous noise is not an indicator of real world music torture tests.

You only blew up 1 driver (as far as I can tell). That is not enough testing to be sure of anything!  Eminance had a problem with some of the lab 12's and the glue holding the VC together (the UV curing had an issue).  Maybe the one you tested was one of those.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Wayne Parham

« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2005, 07:14:05 PM »

I've done a LOT of testing of the cooling plug.  I am more than satisfied with its performance.

Several people have written to me about thermal failures in their LABhorns.  Some of them are installing cooling plugs, one in particular has 18 horns to retrofit.  I know the results they can expect, but soon enough you'll hear reports from others.

Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Gareth James

« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2005, 07:34:21 AM »

I agree with Ivan one unit is not enough to be sure of similar results every time.

You say somebody is going to use the heat exchanger on an 18, how can you tell someone how much improvement it will make to that driver? Have you tested this 18? I'd be suprised if it behaved the same as the LAB12 did...

By the way, how much are you charging people for this device?

Wayne Parham

« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2005, 12:01:49 PM »

The destructive test done on a stock LAB12 driver was performed with 40VRMS, 40Hz, cycled 15 seconds on and 15 seconds off.  It failed after about an hour, the voice coil had separated.

Eminence inspected the damaged speaker and said there was no manufacturing defect.

The heat exchanger test used a LAB12 driver driven constantly for several days, at power levels from 40VRMS up to 60VRMS.  The same test signal was used, 40Hz cycled 15 seconds on and 15 seconds off.  A fixed voltage level was used for two hours, then the temperature was measured and the drive voltage increased 2v and run for another 2 hours.

Tests showed the electro-mechanical parameters shift less at high power levels.  This makes the response curve more linear at high power, as is shown in the measured response from the Prosound Shootout.  The device increases power handling, improves longevity, reduces compression and improves response linearity at high power levels.

Why speculate?  Build one yourself and test it.

Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

sheldon harris

« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2005, 03:43:05 PM »

Gareth James wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 11:03

the lab12 has a teeny tiny 2.5" voice coil, i don't think any amount of heatwick magic is going to stop that voice coil getting too hot and hence losing useable acoustic energies at high power levels.
Razz

i dont think thats a correct statement,
the idea is to keep the voice coil coooler and anything that kepps the voice coil significantly cooler regardless of the size of the coil is extremely beneficial. the power handling of a device is its ability to disipate that heat.
if you can drive more power into the motor, up to a point, then the only thing you have to worry about is the mechanical properties of the moving moving mass.

and, i might add, compound drivers, ( depending on the configuration), do offer some mechanical advantages over single like drivers.)

just my .02

The things we would do in the quest to attain the highest Levels of Sound! the Pressure that is!

Wayne Parham

Thanks!
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2005, 02:49:44 AM »

Thanks to all of you that attended the 2005 Prosound Shootout, and I hope to see you again next year.  For those of you that didn't attend, we hope to see you next year too.

Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.