ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Hornsub shootout  (Read 44143 times)

Wayne Parham

Hornsub shootout
« on: July 22, 2005, 02:45:13 PM »

I'm interested in having a hornsub shootout sometime before fall.  I'll have the 12Pi done soon, and I'd like to get an idea where it stands and how effective the cooling system is, from a real-world standpoint.  The Bassmaxx guys are in Texas, and I'm in Oklahoma, so I'd like to arrange it around here.  I expect the Bassmaxx box to do well, since it's open and heat doesn't build up.  I'd also like to see some Fitzmaurice boxes and some LABsubs, ServoDrive and Danley boxes too.  And Walt De Jong, Rog Mogale and Centauri, let's see if we can't get your speakers repesented here as well.  I'll bring some of the cooling plates so we can add them to existing LABhorn cabinets for evaluation.

Dan Magers had indicated he might be interested in hosting it, but I'm not sure if he still is or not.  I've started asking around for venues in Tulsa that might host it.  Dallas would be good too, or maybe one of the lake areas in between.  All ideas welcome.  Who's intersted?
Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
Re: Hornsub shootout
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 07:06:57 PM »

I believe Blink or someone already did this...
Not all change is good change.

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 04:31:19 AM »

Harford Sound wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 00:06

I believe Blink or someone already did this...

It was Paul Bell, and, that was 2 years ago. A lot of things
changed within a 2 year period.

Wayne

Sounds like a good idea!

Have you contacted David Lee, Mark Seaton on their availability?

Hopefully, Bill brings his Tuba 36 or Tuba 36 Slim, seeing that
we are talking big subs here.  Very Happy  

What about amplifiers?

Possibly Crown Itech 8 or 6000, QSC PL 9 - 6.0, Lab Gruppen
6400 and/or What about the Crest 9200?

Smart? TEF? Too Tall is a wiz around Praxis.....

Elliot

Wayne Parham

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 10:30:02 AM »

Agreed.  A lot has changed in the last couple of years, so I think this will be good.  There are a lot of speakers, each with their own niches, and it will be good to have a place to demonstrate them all and evaluate their capabilities.  I understand Bill Fitzmaurice's speakers are lightweight and portable.  Bassmaxx horns are open backed, so they probably pack a whallop in the midbass, because their motors stay cool.  I think my 12Pi will do well in this regard.  Tom Danley has started working in another shop, so he has some new stuff going on.  The ServoDrive have some new stuff too, since the last time they were demonstrated head to head with other products.  And it would be nice to see speakers from the overseas sound designers like Walt, Graeme and Rog represented too.

Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

John Halliburton

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 11:17:40 AM »

Before Paul in New York, there was the subwoofer shootout in Michigan in January 2003-as always, many thanks to Joe Heslip for hosting it.
There was talk earlier this year about having a shootout/getogether/bbq/listening event in north Texas, and unfortunately Dan Magers had to cancel at that time due to impending shoulder surgery.
Dan, are you out there, and how are you feeling these days?

Here's hoping....

John

Mark Seaton

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 02:44:27 PM »

Elliot Thompson wrote on Sat, 23 July 2005 03:31

Wayne

Sounds like a good idea!

Have you contacted David Lee, Mark Seaton on their availability?

<snip>

Smart? TEF? Too Tall is a wiz around Praxis.....

I own a TEF25 and can likely get a higher SPL mic for such an event.

At the moment the only time that is definitely NOT possible for me is just after Labor Day, ~September 6-11.

Other than that, I could likely find a way to be there with a little notice.  I'm confident that 2-3 offerings from Danley Sound Labs could be made available.  

Any proper testing or demo will require some serious power, which should be considered when talking to potential hosts.  In this respect we were very fortunate when Paul Bell hosted.  The huge distro' a few feet from the panel eliminated any concerns of enough power on tap for the amplifiers.

We should also realize and keep in mind that if we're outdoors and on relatively flat ground, figure anyone within a 2-5 mi radius will know something is going on...
Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Wayne Parham

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 05:11:17 PM »

There's an area in Tulsa with the airport and racetrack.  I'm not sure which is louder, the jet engines at full throttle or the top fuelers at launch.  But I've had that area in mind for something like this, because it is exactly the kind of environment we're looking for.  I'll check into it.

Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Wayne Parham

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 05:18:08 PM »

I was really hoping to see it materialize at Mager's place too.  The Beanstock event appears to be scheduled for the end of September.

Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Tamas Tako

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 06:14:54 PM »

Hi all,

This would be a real good shootout.....
I also would be interrested, how the bassmaxx neo enclosures and the LABsubs performs. Most likely how the TH112s and TH115s are!!!!

MARK!

That would be a good opportunity to test an array, we were talking about..... Smile)))))))))))

I wish, I could be there.. But it is too far away...
I hope to see some interresting measurements...

Do it Do it Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smile

Tamas

Wayne Parham

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 11:57:48 AM »

We'll be sure to get some good measurements of everything.  I'm looking for an independant consultant to volunteer to do measurements, so we are all comfortable and confident in the quality of data.

I hope you'll reconsider coming.  I know the flight is long, but it would be worth it.  You'll meet all the people you've visited with over the years and we'll all get to meet you too.  And if the race track agrees to host the event, you'll get to see American Top Fuel dragsters too.  I think you'd really enjoy it.

I'm kind of excited about the possibilities.  If the Tulsa Raceway agrees to have it, we could have the area all afternoon and then the racers take it in the evening.  Perhaps around sunset, we could fire up all our horns at once and have a decibel shootout with a top fueler or maybe a jet car.  The spectacle would be enormous.  We could evaluate our horns all afternoon, and then watch the races all evening.

Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.