ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: LAB-sub based on 18” seismic driver.  (Read 13913 times)

Tamas Tako

Re: LAB-sub based on 18” seismic driver.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 10:19:58 AM »

Hi,

I think you could win more SPL at the low end both
a/
by give the horn an expansion and optimize the Box's layout (this would give the driver stable more load in the low end cousing less excursion. (see my post about excursion test)
B/
design a similar Horn  optimized to a Higher Power, and/or Higher volume (Sd*Xmax) Driver. And/or enhance the Driver's cooling.

C/
Waiting for Tom Danley's new sub designs.....Smile
****I heard, thet for exaple their new TH112 boxes could produce around 3dB more at 30Hz than the LABsubs (4x TH112 vs. 2x LABsub)****

Tamas

phil boutle

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 04:58:51 AM »

This is the Noise Control single 18" sub

http://www.noisecontrolaudio.com/products_wmd1803.html

I`ve heard labs ( The 6 that Jeff NB had out a few weekends ago was very impressive!)and the wmd in pairs or more produces a very similiar result. The labs clean un-distorted sub, which after listening to a lot of systems with distortion in that area, can take you by suprise!
The lack of parallel sides and the fact that you can "beam " the sub is one advantage the wmd has ( IMO), the downfall is a large box tho`..
I work at Noise Control and know that the designer Raey is planning "barndoors" for coupled pairs in a ground stack under flown rig situation.
I`ve been trying to organise a bass shootout here in the UK but having trouble finding somewhere in London where we won`t annoy too many people.
I`d love to hear 8 labs vrs 8 wmds.....! would be interesting to see how two very different ways of making sub " sound " against each other.

.phil.

Peter Morris

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 05:13:22 AM »

Hi Leon

High-grade ply is a little hard to find and a bit expensive in my part of the world, sooo I don't know how much better it would be if I had just used better ply.

Basically the modifications involved using a double thickness (1 ½ inches - 38 mm) edge or lip on the box as shown in the picture and the first bend as you look down the throat was braced with some 3 x 2. (75 x 50)

When you look at the original frequency response there is a very steep step at about 60hz. For it to be that steep there has to be a resonance or air leak.

I just hit the box with my fist a listened for any ringing - it should make a dull thud if all is well no matter where you hit the box.

I don't have any drawings of the design - it survives as an CNC router program (the green thing on the left in the picture)

I have attached a new plot with the modified response – the lower SPL plot is predicted by Hornresp, the upper plot is the measure response.

Regards

Peter

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 11:36:56 PM »

I noticed someone say that the 1808 is nolonger made.

Aura has Made some slight modifications and it is now the NRT18-8

http://www.aurasound.com/proaudio/frameset2.html

aurabass

Re: Siesmic driver is now CGN which is used by Bassmaxx
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 09:18:04 AM »

Quote:

Last i checked the Siesmic/Aura driver is no longer in production.
This information is incorrect. I know. I am the owner and manufacturer of the Seismic 8196 Driver and the former director of Pro Sound for AuraSound.

Seismic Subwoofers
Seismic Subwoofers Blogspot
Barry Bozeman
Seismic Subwoofers
http://seismicsubs.com
865-281-2004

Jack Arnott

• http://assistanceaudio.com
18” seismic driver.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 09:51:25 AM »

Hello Leon,
I would not use the Seismic driver, if it is indeed available.
I have half McCauley and half Seismic in my Bassmaxx subs.
While the Seismic sound better at high volumes (neo has less magnetic flux variation than ceramic), the McCauley have lasted much better.
The Seismic have failed to the tune of 100%. Not VC burning, but adhesive failures. The only VC to burn was one where a copper sleeve in the gap came loose, adhesive failure, and shorted out the VC and burned it. Also I have had many problems with the spiders coming unglued and flapping.
Bassmaxx was unable to come up with any solutions, or replacements, and all emails to Seismic were ignored.

If anyone wants a pile of Seismic crap I would be glad to foist it on you.

Regards, Jack
The Buffalo's already dead,
What was going through your head?
Why did you choose the color Re-ed?
Joss Whedon

www.assistanceaudio.com

Mike Bamber

• http://www.livesoundhire.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2005, 10:18:09 AM »

Yes, the EM Acoustics Quakes sound awesome!

Mike

Mike Bamber
Live Sound Hire
http://www.livesoundhire.co.uk

John Chiara

Re: Siesmic driver is now CGN which is used by Bassmaxx
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 01:43:44 AM »

aurabass wrote on Wed, 03 August 2005 09:18

Quote:

Last i checked the Siesmic/Aura driver is no longer in production.
This information is incorrect. I know. I am the owner and manufacturer of the Seismic 8196 Driver and the former director of Pro Sound for AuraSound.

Seismic Subwoofers
Seismic Subwoofers Blogspot

Barry, I thought you fell off the planet...glad to see you back around. Your Live Sound mag..I think.. article years ago totally changed my view of live audio systems..and I have been employing as much as I can..but man is the audio world a stubborn bunch.

"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Mike Maki

Re: 18” seismic driver.
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 06:11:44 PM »

Hey Jack,

I PM'ed you a while back regarding the Seismic "crap" don't know if you got it?

Just checking.

Mike Maki
www.audioworks.ca

Mark "Bass Pig" Weiss

• http://www.basspig.com
Re: 18” seismic driver.
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 06:42:53 PM »

Jack Arnott wrote on Fri, 16 September 2005 09:51

The Seismic have failed to the tune of 100%. Not VC burning, but adhesive failures. The only VC to burn was one where a copper sleeve in the gap came loose, adhesive failure, and shorted out the VC and burned it. Also I have had many problems with the spiders coming unglued and flapping.
Bassmaxx was unable to come up with any solutions, or replacements, and all emails to Seismic were ignored.

Hi Jack,

I've been lurking on this forum for a couple of days and read some good and bad things about the Seismic and the CGN drivers, which look very similar in the photos I've seen online.

Have you had any experience with the CGN 1808 drivers? I'm sitting on a purchase order for a large number of these and am leery when I hear about glue failures. Drivers with Kapton formers and cyanoacrylate adhesives are bad news in my recent experience with Emminence Kilomax drivers and certain DyanAudio drivers. I just don't want to make the same (expensive) mistake with the CGN drivers, which look suspiciously like the Seismic drivers you had these problems with.

I'd like to hear anything you might feel is pertinent to the discussion about this issue.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.