ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Cad Symbols for AV design work.  (Read 12189 times)

Don Goguen

• http://folkcafe.wordpress.com
Auto Cad Symbols for AV design work.
« on: July 11, 2005, 09:31:50 pm »

The title says what I'm looking for.

I just accepted a new job as a Systems Designer.  The current shop I work at produces very plain looking (although some very complex) design work.  I am hoping to be able to jazz the drawings up a bit.  Also as the new guy, I would like to get the company to spend a few bucks to make me feel welcome.  

I have seen print work from other companies with some realy cool symbols in their audio/visual design work but my searches on the web have come up empty.

Any leads you can give me.

Thanks

Don Goguen

KAZUM

Re: Auto Cad Symbols for AV design work.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 05:43:28 am »

A lot of the manufactures have the .dwg files on there websites of the specific equipment that can be downloaded.  If not you will just need to draw the blocks yourself.  There are also very nice drawing programs such as Star Draw and D Tools that have everything available.  Those programs start at about 2500.00 per seat though.  We use the Star Draw program and it is very easy to use and provides incredible detail.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 06:36:20 am »

While there are some companies that have .dxf files available of their gear, the purpose of most engineering drawings is to be clear, not "jazzy". If you are going to be sending drawings to anyone in a form other than prints, the use of complex detailed symbols will bloat the file size a lot. i would much rather get a file with simple symbols rather than a 10 meg file with pretty pictures. If you are using the drawings as a sales tool there may be some reason to try to impress people who don't have to actually read the drawings. I draw my own symbols for all the gear I deal with.

Mac

jaypaul

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 09:13:53 am »

Don,

As the person responsible for CAD standards for my company, I totally agree with Mac Kerr. Shop drawings need to be clear, concise, and informative.  Period.

Their purpose, is to communicate the designer's intent to the fabrication and installation crew, and to assist in troubleshooting  when (inevitable) service is required.

The drawing is not the end product, nor is it a monument to the cad skills of the designer. Keep your drawings as simple as possible, but no simpler, so that you can be efficient in your work, and as communicative as possible.

FWIW, if you were my new employee, I would expect to see some results before laying out cash to make you "feel welcome".

Jay

Jay Paul

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 10:26:54 am »

In the very limited amount of drawings that I do I avoid any fancy symbols.  I found a circle with a dot in the center for BNC connectors, and processing boxes are just plain boxes with text.  What I emphasize is layout - I spend the first hour or so with a pad and pen, scribbling out various layouts to find a way to make the signal flow obvious, minimize line-crossings, etc.  One "jazzed-up" little thing that I will use is curved lines - instead of 3-4 bends around boxes and line-crossings and such, I might be able to just have a signal line be nice swooping curve around a couple obstacles and across straight lines.

My most recent layout was for a little remote video switcher system I had repackaged into different racks.  The system was electronically almost identical to the original, but my schematic layout for documentation was considerably different and (IMO) much easier to follow.

Don Goguen

• http://folkcafe.wordpress.com
Thanks for the inputs guys.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 08:08:34 pm »

I take the answers I got to mean that what I seek is not available in a package for Auto Cad.

Although not what I was looking for, I appreciate the perspective.  In my defense my change in position is also a change of job function.  Let me explain a little.  My current job is exactly as has been stated by most of the responses, designs for the purpose of build.  Clear, simple, easy to follow and concise system plans.  My new position is one where drawing packages are sales tools.  It is a shop that already has Star Draw in addition to Auto Cad.  I know Auto Cad and Visio.  It looks like the answer is just learn to learn Star Draw for the Jazzy stuff.

This change of job is going to be something different for me.  In many ways it is a step back as well as forward.  I'll be learning a different aspect of the business (more sales and management) but the dollar size of the projects are going to be way smaller than what I was doing.  I worked on a couple of multimillion dollar projects and $250K projects are common but my new job is going to only average a fraction of that.

Why am I going into this?  It's just an answer to Jay's comment: "if you were my new employee, I would expect to see some results before laying out cash to make you "feel welcome"

The last 2 jobs I've had, I've been recruited.  I didn't apply for this job either and I'm a firm believer in courtships.  I also understand that 6 months from now I won't be able to get what I can now as the "new guy".  It doesn't matter if it's money, software or whatever, my advice to anyone is to get it before taking the job.  Otherwise how long have you waited to "earn" those little extras?  Have you ever worked a job were you lived with an old computer or what not and the new hire comes in and gets new computer, desk, chair, tools, latest version of software and on and on.  See what I mean?  I just make sure I'm that new guy going in.  

Respectfully

Don Goguen
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.