ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 12 π basshorn - just about ready for prime time  (Read 11004 times)

[x]

Re: 12 π basshorn - just about ready for prime time
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 10:20:43 PM »

Apparently simple construction doesn't mean much to you, after seeing the construction photos. Instead of those filler panels to reduce the volume behind the woofers, you should have used lengths of Sonotube, the round concrete forming stuff. A lot easier to cut and install. Since it's cylindrical, the fact that it is thin (only about 1/4" at the most) doesn't matter because deforming forces are distributed evenly along the circumference. You ought to make that change to the plans
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

Wayne Parham

Re: 12Pi basshorn - just about ready for prime time
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 04:01:36 AM »

We considered using Sonotube to reduce front chamber volume, and that's probably a pretty good way to do it.  Sections could be cut to fit the chamber and throat, and then the area behind could be filled with closed cell foam to seal it to the throat and fill any gaps.

But the fill pieces we chose instead are very easy to cut and fit.  We were able to set the volume precisely in each front chamber with them.  Compared with all the braces and other panels, the front chamber fill pieces are probably the easiest part.  They're small and easy to work with.

Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

[x]

Re: 12 π basshorn - just about ready for prime time
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 10:22:28 AM »

yeah. I just suggest that you look into using one-piece solutions like sonotube instead of things with angles that will need to be calculated and measured, etc. for your design to reach maximum acceptance. I'm pretty sure that's why Walt's Punisher horn has taken off as well as it has (though primarily with overseas users.)
I've said and written things in the past that I wouldn't throw away in my own trash can for fear that you'd find them. My name is mud.

Wayne Parham

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 03:04:18 AM »

The 12Pi is a no-compromise design.  The features that make it superior are the things that make it a little more difficult to build than other designs.  The cooling plug must fit precisely, which means that the driver mounts in the motor chamber, motor chamber fits onto the side panels, and access hole mounts for the heat exchanger / access panels all have to be in precise alignment.

We built the prototype with a table saw and hand tools.  I didn't think cutting the fill pieces was all that difficult, but precise cuts for cooling plug alignment are challenging.  The heat exchanger provides such a huge benefit in driver performance and longevity, it is definitely worth it.

Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

raj

• http://-
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 11:41:20 AM »

Wayne ,
This is wishing you " Best of luck " for the 12pi in the shootout ,
Rajeev
RL

Wayne Parham

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 04:40:09 AM »

Thanks, we'll post results as soon as we compile them.

Wayne Parham
π Speakers
PiSpeakers.com

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.