ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone see this yet?  (Read 1726 times)

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
anyone see this yet?
« on: July 02, 2005, 06:03:13 pm »

I'd get it for the tee shirt alone!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=122/g=live/search/det ail/base_pid/270394/
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

James Ribar

Re: anyone see this yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 07:35:23 pm »

"a roll of duct tape"

Something musicians should not be given.

Tom Reid

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 07:49:04 pm »

Aww come on Tom.
I haven't paid for a T-shirt with a name brand on it since 1974.
You must apply some skillz into properly obtaining swag!
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Tom Manchester

• http://www.electrosoundsystems.com
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 08:21:39 pm »

Tom Reid wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 19:49

Aww come on Tom.

hmm. you must teach me these skills. I do own 13 shure wired mics, 2 shure wireless systems, and a shure DSP. does that count for anything?
-Tom
Electro Sound Systems

Lee Patzius

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 09:45:10 pm »

Tom Reid wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 18:49

Aww come on Tom.

Couple of things come to mind.

#1 Attend manufacturers booths at conventions. It's always been an unofficial contest to see who gets the coolest freebie stuff.

#2 Become the "resident expert" for parts ordering within your company. Show that you can efficiently handle phone calls, paperwork, CC charge backs, PO numbers, work orders, tracking, shipping etc. and work your way in as a purchasing agent. I go through a purchasing agent in my day job, for the convenience, but in return he gets ALL the freebies, goodies, sports tickets, concert tickets, lunches, golf tournaments, racing tickets, meanwhile my supplier's reps often call me directly and ask why I haven't ordered anything in awhile....  BUT I DID!!!!!! No matter, purchasing agents have their name on all of the PO's, and they get ALL the credit. (Oh yeah there's a company policy regarding freebies and such, so things are politically kept "under the table" if you know what I mean...)

#3 What Tom Ried said...
Lee Patzius

Lee Brenkman

Multiple thoughts and a memory
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 11:41:07 am »

First off it's a nice bit of marketing.

But then do we actually need ANYONE to further encourage singers to bash their microphones arourd?  Except maybe the people who make and sell microphones - as per my first statement.

The duct tape reminds me of a late 60s Who show where I watched one of their crew carefully "preparing" Roger Daltrey's microphone.

First he put in the set screw and tighten it down on the already in place XLR cable connector.

Yes kiddies, SM58s, once upon a time, shipped with an included set screw and small Allen wrench to secure the cable connector in the microphone.  I think it was originally intended for installs to prevent theft, not to keep the mike from becoming a singer launched missle.

Then he doubled the cable back over the body of the SM58 in an obviously time tested pattern and wrapped a layer of duct tape - not "gaffa tape" as the Brits now say - over the cable on the body.

Then a second and third layer of tape.  That sucker was NOT goiig to come off the end of the "wire" no matter how much Daltrey used it as a lasso.

And finally, as for T shirts.  I determined, after giving away a couple of hundred of them a few years ago that I now own more than enough swag shirts to last me the rest of Grampa's projected life span.  Besides I spend most of my working days in "no logo" polo shirts these days.

I saved a few of my favorites from the 60s and 70s which I may frame or something.

So when offered a shirt, I now politely decline.  Other items of swag clothing are, still gratefully accepted.
"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
— Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 19 queries.