ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Recomended Wedding Lights?  (Read 6428 times)

Mike Pyle

Re: Recomended Wedding Lights?
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2005, 07:33:03 PM »

The lights might look nice, but you will have wires all over the place, and more opportunity for people to trip over stands.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Michael E.

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2005, 07:58:52 PM »

I agree with Mike, more cords for people to trip over. Also more for you to run and tape down.

I just don't think tripods alone have the same effect, regardless how many you have. Every DJ has tripods and not every person can tell that your couple lights on a tripod are better than the next guys $99 special lights.
I'd rather be sailing

Brian Ship

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2005, 08:30:05 PM »

Having viewed your own website, I can see how much fun and Charisma you have when you do such events.  Just thinking that in going wireless and dispersing the sound & lighting gear more - even rigging it to air wall hangers and other hall supports or doing decorated booms.  Since it would at that point no longer be able to be based around the DJ table it does not steel focus from the wedding couple.   You could also more be out in the audience, dancing with Great Grandma etc. and popping the cue for strobe when the spoons hit the water glasses etc. anywhere within the location.  This without having to be chained to your table.  More the life of the party and leader of it's flow from your feet.

Anyway that's what I was thinking.  Perhaps instead of a desk type control area, perhaps some form of buffet that you can walk up to and press go or have only a few mouse clicks to get what you want?

Remembering of course that I have never done a wedding, and only have some thoughts on a less DJ table based event.

Overall, were the technology economically out there and you had your choice, would such a concept be your choice?

Brian Ship

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2005, 08:44:30 PM »

"I agree with Mike, more cords for people to trip over. Also more for you to run and tape down."

Not sure if I understand here.  Was not earlier some statements about DJ table based lighting saying something about lack of good lighting and overall ability to provide a sufficient look?

Something artistic?

Yet in as I hear it, a response against dispersing the lights I'm also reading both what's necessary for safety - cable that feeds it necessary to ensure people can't trip, and in the same statement a reason not to do anything out of your way in providign the design because making it so people can't trip is extra work.  Thus in some way use of extra hanging positions is in some way counter productive in providing a good show with the amount of effort necessary to do so safely.

I know I'm wrong in reading it.  Perhaps more help can be provided in understanding how to do a good design for a wedding would be helpful for me.

Perhaps a small Juno light hung by some X-Clip Ceiling tile hanger clips over the cake, it's cable run above the ceiling tile. a few if stands are a problem, perhaps boom bases etc.  Cable run as needed above or below with ramps.  Perhaps flat cable between fixtures.  Can do a 3/8" thick 8/5 flat cable under a "Cable Path Tape" safely to a small AC-Distro.  Perhaps something that only sticks up 3/8" of an inch would be safe along the floor or tapped to a wall.  

In any case, I'm still not seeing advantages of a half mirror ball on a table, and two stands on opposing ends of the table.  While it might be big budget to hang a pinspot above each table to light the table flowers, somewhere between I would hope is a happy medium.

Dan Haddad

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2005, 09:26:57 PM »

I have no idea what the last post is talking about, kinda drifted off topic or maybe in the wrong post?

Yes, running 2 DMX leads to each stand, and 1 power would be a bitch, but i think almost worth the effect, with some nice programming i think it could be a sick setup! I just cant justify the cost for trussing and do not think the look is all that great for a wedding!
Hotmix Entertainment
http://Http://www.hotmixent.com
Michigan Mobile DJ Service.

Dan Brey

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2005, 11:36:30 PM »

Would not one of the several wireless DMX solutions work to reduce cables? I would think wireless DMX would be a good match for a highly distributed system in areas exposed to the public. Extra cost would have to be weighed against running cable. Just a thought it might be something to look into.
- Dan Brey

len woelfel

• http://www.party-chicago.com/rentals/rentals.html
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2005, 08:28:14 AM »

To answer your last question first, no.  There are other reasons why a lot of djs use/need a buffer of a table between them and the crowd.  For me, it's having a table under which I store my cart and other stuff.  Also, I need a place to keep my paperwork, keep prying hands away from stuff (you'd be surprised how many adults will just walk up and start messing with things).  And it gives a way to create a focus, so for announcements, people know where to look when they hear the voice.

As for doing stuff like airwall brackets, I don't see that happening too frequently either (although it is a neat idea).  The brackets I'm familiar with are $300 each, and I can't see the average dj, who bitches about the average price of everything (just go to prodj.com, djchat.com, or djgold.com and you'll see what I mean) to spend that kind of money.  Even if they did, a lot of places don't give you the time to do stuff like that.  I can't count the number of times I've had a 6 pm wedding and been told that there was another event ENDING at 4:30 or 5 PM in that room.  So basically, I have to stage everything in the hall, and really hump once the room clears to move in and set up, then change into the tux and be ready.  

So the short answer is yes, the technology is out there, but I doubt you'll ever see it implemented by the average dj due to cost, time, etc.

len woelfel

• http://www.party-chicago.com/rentals/rentals.html
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2005, 08:38:20 AM »

atenza wrote on Fri, 08 July 2005 22:36

Would not one of the several wireless DMX solutions work to reduce cables? I would think wireless DMX would be a good match for a highly distributed system in areas exposed to the public. Extra cost would have to be weighed against running cable. Just a thought it might be something to look into.

Wireless dmx is not a good solution, IMO.  The cost of such a system is around $1500.  For that you still have to run power to it, and get it close enough to the fixtures to cut down on cabling.  If you're using some sort of tripod, with a couple or more fixtures on it, there's still cable between fixtures, and power to them.  So you've spent $1500 to eliminate a cable.  When fixtures start incorporating wireless dmx right into the unit, then maybe you'll have something.  But you still have the power issue, and that will never go away.  

As for most of the other ideas, sure, they can be done.  But the big issue is time.  Corporate events with huge budgets, concerts, etc. have the luxury of set-up time that the average wedding dj doesn't get.  As I mentioned in another post in this thread, often there will be an afternoon wedding, shower, luncheon, or something happening in the same room as the evening wedding.  There may only be an hour or two to empty the room, clean it, and re-set it for the evening.  Not enough time to hang airwall brackets, run pin spots over each individual table, etc.  

Please note I'm talking AVERAGE weddings.  I don't mean the ones with decorators, video people, 20 florists in the room all day, with $200,000 budgets.  I mean the average $25 - %50 a plate rubber chicken type parties.  

Brian Ship

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2005, 04:14:42 AM »

Very Happy Thanks, and I was hoping for yoru reply in providing more story behind the thoughts.

Yep, been there done that with it all..  Keypad finger printing lockout codes I expect could not help this either.  Some day I would hope to see you on the other hand free from the table.

On the other hand, I recognize the importance and need for a set and known place to look to for focus in directing them in having fun.  I know that I'm not the most fun person and unless directed to join into the hokey pokey (or at least something similar from "Rockey Horror", I would not.

Still at some point I would hope some form of wireless and transponder to moving light follow spot like beam becomes economical so as to still be anywhere with the microphone, under the spot thus focus and still motivate the cattle as it were.  Imagine as per on the spot intiviewer what possibilities for fun wireless and in the crowd it could have.

This motivation rational in location I left off, but do recognize a important.

On the other hand, thanks for reminding me of the at times time constaints to doing the shows.  I really had forgotton about such time things in not always really having time to do it artistically given the budget is not only case in labor but also in set up time.  Much less ball rooms where there was also hours upon hours.  To this I do wish it were easier.  I remember a few tents with pinspot bars with a day to set up.  I expect the halls are not so easy thus as a very good reason to do the best you can in just getting your gear out.

I'm hoping however just as when I was in school the moving lights were more a dream, that in the future, technology catches up with your own doing of shows.  Shame to hear about air wall hangers and the like.  Been a while since I have bought any.  Much less given an hour or so to set up and still in keeping it economical, I can see how such effort is not yet worth it other than on a big show.  Choice not only in artistic statement, but in getting the show up and running in time and also having time to change.

Thanks for helping me understand, I now have a new found respect for what such a show intails.

Dan Glass

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2005, 10:23:37 AM »

Wireless control is an option at least for DMX devices but unfortunately you still need a receiver/s and power cables for everything.  So usually the only thing you eliminate is a control cable on the ground and maybe a power cord for your existing controller.  

Dan Glass
Dan Glass
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.