ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High Frequency. Response???  (Read 699 times)

Ken Crook

High Frequency. Response???
« on: July 02, 2005, 03:14:49 pm »

What is your opinion about the High (cut-off) range of a live speaker system. Some people say the human ear is effective to about 16khz then starts falling off pretty fast but my experience has been that a cab with a response 18khz and above offers more clarity and "sizzle". As I'm preparing to upgrade my system I'm finding high freq response numbers are varied.
I've been looking at 2x12 full range cabs and interestingly the JBL has a response to 20khz, which from a 4" voice coil seems hard to believe. For instance, one review I read on the SRX722 suggests the cab is great but a little more in the high end would be desirable. Is this all subjective or what??? Experiences???

Thanks,
Ken

David A. Parker

• http://www.lostandfoundsoundco.com/
Re: High Frequency. Response???
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 03:39:56 pm »

You need to base your choices on listening rather than specs. There are so many ways to measure and so many ways to hype specs they are almost useless.
David Parker
Lost and Found Sound
http://www.lostandfoundsoundco.com/

Ivan Beaver

Re: High Frequency. Response???
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 06:29:31 pm »

The extended HF response is nice and does add to the sound (just the really deep lows add to the bottom), but there are several questions as to a stated response.  Is this a "natural sound" or is it full of breakup modes (ie: distortion/harmonics), and how flat is the upper response.  It may be down quite a bit.  Also don't expect to get the highs to "throw" real far, because of air absorbtion, but at least if they start out louder then they will be louder far away.  

You are right in having suspicions about a 4" VC going that high- and usable.

As David said you should actually listen to the speaker and copair it side by side to other speakers you are considering.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.