ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radial Engineering Bassbone  (Read 3667 times)

Rich Wirz

Radial Engineering Bassbone
« on: June 27, 2004, 09:31:59 AM »

Just wondering if anyone has used the Radial Bassbone as a DI.  I have many situations where I would really like to send the bass guitar directly into the PA without the use of an amp - we have a smaller theatre with no orchestra pit and the band for musicals is generally in the house and I am trying to cut back on the amount of sound coming from the pit location.  I use a Line 6 Pod for guitar and a Clearsonic surround for the drums, and DI keyboards with Radial JDI's, but have never come up with a decent sounding unit for bass.  I was browsing Radial Engineering's website and came upon the Bassbone and it seems like it would be the ticket - any feedback would be greatly appreciated Smile

Mark Allen

Re: Radial Engineering Bassbone
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 12:48:36 AM »

I've had a Bassbone for a few months now and I love it!  I needed it for the same sort of thing you do - I wanted a quality interface to d.i. into the PA.  Additionally, I have a passive Fender bass and was looking for a decent preamp.  I was fortunate enough to be able to A/B the Bassbone against an Aguilar DB924 outboard preamp (which I think is a kind of standard nowadays for good sounding preamps).  I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only did the e.q. on the Bassbone stand up to the Aguilar, I feel it's superior sounding!

My soundman can easily hear the difference between the inexpensive d.i. he had been using and my Bassbone.  The additional switching features and wonderful sounding boost circuit is icing on the cake.  I read on another forum that apparently some people had an issue with noise, but I haven't found that to be the case at all.  In fact, it's one of the quietest pedals I've ever heard.
"Those who hear not the music think the dancer is mad." - anonymous

Mike Chapin

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 12:45:53 AM »

I've had mine for a few months and gigged it a couple times. My experience has been similar to that of bluepop. I like the ability to switch quickly back and forth between the two channels for different tones.  I set Channel 2 to a fairly aggressive, mid-rich punch, and set the Channel 1 switch for a more mellow, bass-heavy sound. The boost button gives me some added power in a solo phrase here and there. It's a clean sound and very versatile. More versatile tone-wise than, say, an Avalon U5, but not quite as clean.

I recommend it without reservation.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

Steve Wright

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 07:01:07 PM »

the radial is a very good product. I'm not a bass player, but an audio eng and have to deal with bass players on a large scale.  I us ally take a Countryman di out of the gtr, unless they just insist on using what they've got,  and unless they have a ground lift, I just tell them I can't.  it's about the only excuse I can think of not to come out of their amp. people get bent over little things.  my reason is what you hear 5 or 10 ft. away from your amp is not what I hear 150' to 200' away. I need deep clean and clear.  and most amps color to much.  most guitars don't sound that good either.  I have no idea why.  it's just my job to make it work.  the Augilars are very good, as well as(I've been told ) the radials, but the one I'm in love with is the rack mount Sansamp.  I've run into several bass players that have had them and they are increadible.  clean lots of headroom, the bottom from them is huge, but not colored, I just can't say enought about them.  I use the big yamaha and Midas consoles and have absolutely no trouble out of them at all.  excellent products.  you might want to look at them next time your in a good audio store......

my 2 cents......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.