ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: getting frustrated about new church sound system...  (Read 13461 times)

Karl P(eterson)

Re: getting frustrated about new church sound system...
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2004, 03:54:25 PM »

Your now starting to understand why club speakers, or most any music store speakers for that matter, will no longer fufill your needs. In fact, Now is the time where you bring in some people who know what/how to do what needs to be done, and work out a grand plan, it may end up being 100~ thousand, thats ok, and arguably quite normal. From there you need to get your speakers in and done right, and start working your way through the system.

This isn't something to be taken lightly, please get some help and start planting the seed in your pastor now.

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Hansel Anasarias

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2004, 04:37:54 PM »

Got ya Karl. Thanks again.

-Hansel

Hansel Anasarias

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2004, 03:28:20 PM »

OMG!!!!!!

hey all, so we moved in... exciting!  we have our setup right now... things are going okay with our club speaker setup.

***UPDATE***

Moving into the building, there was an installed speaker system that was left for us, but with all loose wires going everywhere.  Nothing labeled etc.  So, on tuesday morning, pastor setup an appointment to meet the guy who ran sound for the prior church.  he was just a volunteer...the all around buy who knew everything about anything.  So they get the speakers to work; 2 peavey impulse speakers for front of house.  They are center clustered, facing down, towards the main floor.  On top of those are some Polk somethings, facing straight back towards the balcony, and another pair behind, facing downward towards that choir area.  

The old church used this system for acoustic performances; mandolins, acoustic guitar, some brass, piano and an organ.  And of course speech reinforcement.  Now, for that purpose, i'd say the system is good enough, but now, pastor is saying, we dont need anything new for a while, we might not even need to use the pole mounted club speakers!!! !@#$%  I'm trpping!

NOW... Pastor just bought a Behringer SL3242 FX-Pro today b/c it's a "32-channel board" recommended by "volunteer".  Without me knowing it.

I am the un-official 'sound guy', but I am kind of taking it personal now, well, not personal in a sense but, offended that I wasn't asked.  You  know? ... um, but at the same time, i dont want to step on feet, cause this is the place i intend on serving at for the rest of my life, God willing.

I'm feeling quite frustrated again.  Should I just remain quiet and sit back in the cut, or say something.  I'm a young a guy, 24, don't want to be direspectful.

Here we go again... (it's the principle, you know?)

Always,
-Hansel

p.s. just wanted to express my frustration.

Mike Sveda

• http://www.cohglory.org/Sunday@7/index.html
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2004, 04:18:27 PM »

I feel for ya. I guess you just need to go see your Pastor and ask him who he wants in charge of the PA stuff only if you are prepared to respect your Pastor's decision. If he says the other guy, swallow your pride and work with the other guy as best you can and serve God.  

I serve as the volunteer to the church's main sound guy. We are good friends but don't agree on everything system wise so I have to swallow my pride and let God take care of things. I have to fight myself all the time about my personal feelings about things and being a good servant and steward. Smile

Like I said, the best thing is to talk with Pastor and settle the issue and learn to live with his decision.

Hansel Anasarias

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2004, 05:41:15 PM »

Mike, (hope i make sense)

I'm not worried about letting someone else be in charge.  But i've been around ever since our church started up, and just because someone new comes along and percieves himself as a pro, doesn't mean you forget about the members who have been running it ever since.  That's kind of where I stand.  I want to say to myself let it be, but at the same time, it will be a waste of money, and effort.  Plus, I use this equipment myself also for worship leading/drummer/sound engineer.

Eh, i'll let ya'll know what happens.

Thanks again,
-Hansel

Mike Sveda

• http://www.cohglory.org/Sunday@7/index.html
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2004, 08:23:41 AM »

Looking forward to an honest review of the Behringer mixer when you get a chance to use it.  

Phil Ouellette

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2004, 10:26:00 AM »

contacthansel wrote on Thu, 16 September 2004 17:41

I want to say to myself let it be, but at the same time, it will be a waste of money, and effort.  Plus, I use this equipment myself also for worship leading/drummer/sound engineer.

Hi Hansel,

I wouldn't get too stressed out over a Behringer mixer.  Give the speaker system you described it won't be the weak link in the chain.  Besides when the Behringer mixer starts flaking out your opinion will be vindicated and your influence strengthened.  Perhaps you pastor needs to fall on his face a bit to remind him that he doesn't know it all and that he does need other peoples help and judgment?

Phil

Alan Hamilton

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2004, 09:38:35 PM »

Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote on Tue, 17 August 2004 22:27

I guess the good news is that at $150 a pop for that junk, at least they won’t be out a fortune.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt[/font][/size]

True... but it all adds up and it is wasting money that could be better spent.

Somebody will get called to pick up the pieces and be of limited help because the church will already have spent their money. The horse will already be outta the barn...

-AlanH
When I think of a witty saying I will put it here. Please note that my sig space is for rent Smile
http://www.HamiltonSystems.us

Alan Hamilton

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2004, 09:49:12 PM »

contacthansel wrote on Wed, 18 August 2004 19:16

wow... i've been trying to think of what to say?....

right now, our church has the most minimal setup.  Over the past serveral years, our 2 church facilities have been small, and very to easy to put out some decent sound, at a cheap price.  Mackie 1604, jbl speakers, community monitors, no eq, no compression, no mics on drums etc., the minimal.  I think that one thing the pastor forgets is that its a 1 million dollar+  building, and a 'room' of this kind needs special care.

Even though many of you insist that $5k or even $10k is not enought, that's all we'll be able to play with.  Since i have this opportunity on friday to discuss things over once again with volunteer, hopefully i can talk some sense into him.  I
think at this point i need to get a for sure budget!

TTYL folks... i'll have pics and more questions for you all soon.

Thanks to all who replied.  Such a learning experience for me.

-Hansel

It's not enough. Why do you want to waste it? IMHO what you are doing is no better than what the other guy is doing.

PLEASE quit trying to put a square peg in a round hole. You should be explaining to the pastor and others why that budget is UNREALISTIC. You should NOT be an enabler in trying to make such unrealistic expectation continue thru your church. That's the best thing you can do. Then walk away if they don't listen. At least when the purchased pieces fail to work as hoped you won't be recieving the blame. And you WILL be getting the blame. Regardless of how much good you think you are doing. Regardless of the compromises you are making and think the others understand... They Don't!

The only people who won't get the blame will be those that spoke the truth and explained what is realistic and what is asking for problems.

Don't be an enabler. Don't go down with the ship.

Actually, the best advice anyone can give you is to admit you are over your head as is the older gentleman (as is the pastor but it sounds like he knows it). Now explain to the pastor that he needs to get a professional involved in this... yesterday.

-AlanH
When I think of a witty saying I will put it here. Please note that my sig space is for rent Smile
http://www.HamiltonSystems.us

Hansel Anasarias

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2004, 01:03:17 PM »

Alan,

I am 'not over my head'.

We will have the best system for what we can afford.  I've learned in the last couple months that my frustration took control of me, and bitterness was starting to settle in which was wrong, and even sinful.  I started to let go a little, calm myself, humble myslef, and chilled out and to be honest... things started to clear up.  Our pastor hear's how crappy our setup is now, and realizes that sound is extremely important.  

He started to ask me questions on what to do in terms of our setup, what kind of speakers, placement, what about the balcony....things like that.  And they didn't come because I forced it down his throat, he heard for himself, he asked.

It will do, but it cant and wont last.

Like said someone else posted on the topic, "$150 a pop for that junk, at least they won’t be out a fortune".  Sad but true.  

My attitude towards this all has changed, and although there are still frustrations, what goes around comes around, and when it does come back around, I'll be ready.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2004, 01:03:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.