ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Knowledge  (Read 1102 times)

Gareth Marsh

Newbie Knowledge
« on: July 04, 2005, 02:41:28 am »

I feel like a bit of an idiot asking this, but i have never really learnt the jargon involved with lighting like i have with sound. Here goes.

I have found a light desk for sale in my area that i think might be suitable for my school. All i want is a simple desk that can do scenes too, our current desk wont and its really letting me down having to do everything manually.

So i saw this ad online, but the trouble is, i dont understand what words like 'submaster' are referring to, i will most likely know what they do, but know them as another term.

Here is the ad, please tell me what the desk is actually like (as in number of faders, etc) if possible

"Two presets of channel faders (one with a three-group facility, one with flash buttons),
20 submasters with a memory capacity of 80 cues."

Paul O'Brien

Re: Newbie Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 08:39:34 am »

Sorry man, not even close to enough information to be usefull. Contact the seller and get more info including make and model numbers. Then you can make an informed decision.
Paul O

len woelfel

• http://www.party-chicago.com/rentals/rentals.html
Re: Newbie Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 08:53:00 am »

Mfg. use terms in different ways, but a submaster TYPICALLY means that you can assign more than one light to it.  For example, lets say that you're doing a theatrical show.  You find that fixtures 1, 7, 9, 14, and 15 are being used together quite a lot.  So instead of raising those individual faders every time you need them, you assign all of them to the same submaster, and now you have one fader to control all those lights.  

If you're using moving lights, that same submaster could be set up, or "patched" to control gobos, colors, movement, whatever.  Basically, it's a way to do many things with one fader.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.