ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Are We Really Applauding?  (Read 3246 times)

john abney

• http://www.johnabney.com
Who Are We Really Applauding?
« on: August 12, 2004, 11:02:53 PM »

"Let's give the Lord a big clap offering." Have you ever heard something like that in church? Admit it, hasn't that become a cliche. Oh, the intentions were no doubt benign to begin with. The idea being that God is indeed behind all our talents. But if we truly mean that we are clapping for the Lord, why do some performances get louder and more enthusiastic applause than others?

Are we telling God, "good job" for a brilliant or touching performance and "don't call us, we'll call you" when the singer is frumpy and off-pitch? Perhaps that frumpy, off-pitch singer overcame a case of severe stage-fright after months or years of fervent prayer. Does God's help in that situation not warrant at least as much applause as is given for a person endowed by the Lord with natural talent or parents who could afford to give him or her lots of music lessons? What if the singer is downright awful? Does the "clap offering" line get omitted entirely? If we don't know the full "back story" how can we judge? That is, if we should be judging at all. And if we should not be judging, especially judging God, should we be putting other people in the position where they are almost forced to?

I do not claim perfection by any means. As Jesus taught, I try to remember to give thanks before I eat. But I'll admit, my prayer tends to be more enthusiastic when dinner is a good steak or barbecue than when it's a cheap, microwaved, frozen burrito with crusted-over salsa Smile Please don't take this as a harsh rebuke. It's a small thing - I would think - in God's eye. But if you use the phrase unthinkingly, perhaps seeking the Lord's guidance would be in order. And if he does give you guidance on the matter, that would be a very good time to give the Lord a real clap offering.
 Please visit www.johnabney.com - songs, lyrics, and things

Justin Fure

Re: Who Are We Really Applauding?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 01:30:55 AM »

I have always thought that we were clapping to what God has done in everyone's lifes and such, not the performers.
-Justin

Stuie

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 02:13:46 AM »

Dont want to sound nasty here but you should change the way you are doing things. If your doing the job of sound guy or are you effectively ministering to hundreds of people on a weekend.

In my church when they clap i give thanks cause i know where i have come from.

Dont loose the first love

Cheers
Stuie

Adam Kane

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 10:58:10 PM »

In my church when they clap i give thanks cause i know where i have come from.

Amen!!!
Adam "Drumrkane"

Dave Mallon

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 07:57:51 AM »

Sometimes praise is a sacrifice, it's up to us to make right choices and focus on what's important.

If the band is a load of rubbish (garbage...) I still thank God because HE (unlike the band) is the same yesterday, today & forever.  When there's something really annoying in the mix that I can't quite fix, it's the same choice.

NEVER in worship have I thought that we are applauding anyone other than God.

VERY occasionally, the band gets a thank you and maybe a spattering of applause, even rarer are the technical Staff thanked publicly, - I don't do it for recogntiton, nor do the band but it is nice to feel appreciated from time to time (saying that, a few people saying something 1 on 1 means far more to me than a thank you from the front).

I do sometimes thank God for the musicians we have, but  during worship I focus on God, who he is and what he has done in my life and the lives of those around me and the fact that he chose to save me.

If the band is good, I tell them, in person, afterwards.  If the band does something that makes my life difficult I will tell them, in person, afterwards.

Just my thoughts...

Dave Mallon
Formally Scouse Dave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 07:57:51 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.