ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with this...  (Read 6103 times)

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
Re: Need help with this...
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 11:09:29 pm »

I've always thought that the W-bins look like a miniaturized Lab/BT7 styled sub coupled with the flairs the wrong way.  I also noticed that the punisher horns get arrayed like a W-Bin mouth.  Whats the deal?  Wouldn't it be more efficient to have the two horn mouths make one big horn bell, instead of having the horn expansions Cross in the center?

But then of course the SD5's Look like W-Bins too?

Any thoughts?  Or Knowledge?

Sum-

Justin Lawless

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 11:19:11 pm »

not exactly, if you look back in this forum subject, youl see that mike answered that one already. the horn mouth its self would be GIAGANTIC!, so you basicly slit the horn in two and when you do the SPL work on it, add the two halfs into one for the right results. at least thats what i got out of it...
Blah!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 11:42:22 pm »

Justin Lawless wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 18:58

ahh ic ok. ill stick with my other designs then. i only want the lower frequencies a bass horn will give so. and so far with the design iv got im hittin about 140db at 45hz - 150hz running the driver at its RMS so its not to shabby.

How are you measuring it? Distance-loading-measurement system-calibrated mic? etc.  
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Graeme Goodacre [Centauri

• http://www.centauriaudio.com.au
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 12:39:03 am »

sumsound wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 13:09

I've always thought that the W-bins look like a miniaturized Lab/BT7 styled sub coupled with the flairs the wrong way.  I also noticed that the punisher horns get arrayed like a W-Bin mouth.  Whats the deal?

The low end cutoff of a horn is determined by the LENGTH of the horn, NOT mouth area - mouth area determines how efficient the horn will be at the low end (as well as passband ripples).  For a given box size, the W arrangement limits the length of the horn, resulting in loss of low end extension.

Cheers
Graeme

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 03:13:32 am »

Yah I know the horn length needs to be at least 1/4Wavelength of the low frequency cutoff.  And the horn width has a lot to do with efficiently of coupling the energy to about the 1/4 wavelength frequency of the mouth width.  

I'm just wondering if the W-bins non complimentary horn flair is less efficient than having a complimentary horn flair coupling.  Especially for cabinet like the punisher horn that is designed to be used in pairs,  but I see it stacked so that the horn is non complimentary.  Or does the complimentary horn thing only work with hyperbolic and exponential horn designs?

I keep thinking that a lot of the energy from the w-bin spills around the side, and wraps behind the cab since there is no symmetrical horn or boundary to couple with.

Sum-  

Graeme Goodacre [Centauri

• http://www.centauriaudio.com.au
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 08:04:31 am »

With the long wavelengths involved, I doubt whether it really matters which way they are grouped - as long as they are within 1/4 wavelength they should couple just fine.

Any sub bin is basically omni-directional due to the box being small compared to the wavelength - the sound will not "wrap around" a W bin any more than any other sub.  The box would need to be around a wavelength wide before any directionality could be achieved.

Cheers
Graeme

Antone Atmarama Bajor

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 10:16:15 am »

Actually I'm prety sure the mouth has to be 1/2 wavelenth to achieve directionality.  As I recall The BT7 has an inductor in it to compensate for a hump in response around 80Hz  Thats near the 1/2 wavelength of a pair of the BT7's coupled.

I also remember reading in servodrives literature that BT7's are able to provide dirrectionality down to 60Hz if used in groups of 4 or more(~8'X4' for four cabs).

I've never seen anything that uses a Full wave resonator, when it comes to audio or RF.  I don't think that Full wave coupling is as useful as 1/2, or 1/4 wave or 3/2 wave and some multiple as such.  Maybe I'm wrong anyone here have any thoughts on full wave horns/Radiators?

Sum-

Michael_Elliston¶

• http://www.geocities.com/xobt
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2005, 04:27:18 pm »

sumsound wrote on Fri, 10 June 2005 02:16

Actually I'm prety sure the mouth has to be 1/2 wavelenth to achieve directionality.  As I recall The BT7 has an inductor in it to compensate for a hump in response around 80Hz  Thats near the 1/2 wavelength of a pair of the BT7's coupled.

I also remember reading in servodrives literature that BT7's are able to provide dirrectionality down to 60Hz if used in groups of 4 or more(~8'X4' for four cabs).

I've never seen anything that uses a Full wave resonator, when it comes to audio or RF.  I don't think that Full wave coupling is as useful as 1/2, or 1/4 wave or 3/2 wave and some multiple as such.  Maybe I'm wrong anyone here have any thoughts on full wave horns/Radiators?

Sum-

Your not right,the mouth must be ATLEAST ONE WAVELENGTH in circumference to achieve 'some' increase in DI
www.volvotreter.de 'downloads'

An inductor?that would have to be physically HUGE ,I have a 400hz coil at home,its the size of a baked bean tin.

The BT7 is designed for 4 on the ground atleast(afaik),so anyone using less than that is misusing them-resulting in a non flat response.

Michael_Elliston¶

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005, 04:31:33 pm »

sumsound wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 19:13

Yah I know the horn length needs to be at least 1/4Wavelength of the low frequency cutoff.  And the horn width has a lot to do with efficiently of coupling the energy to about the 1/4 wavelength frequency of the mouth width.  

I'm just wondering if the W-bins non complimentary horn flair is less efficient than having a complimentary horn flair coupling.  Especially for cabinet like the punisher horn that is designed to be used in pairs,  but I see it stacked so that the horn is non complimentary.  Or does the complimentary horn thing only work with hyperbolic and exponential horn designs?

I keep thinking that a lot of the energy from the w-bin spills around the side, and wraps behind the cab since there is no symmetrical horn or boundary to couple with.

Sum-  

The horn mouth and physical size of the stack determines what happens in the polar response.

The 'complimentary' attributes are only visual not acoustic.

Michael_Elliston¶

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2005, 04:53:51 pm »

Thats right,And I tell people because its what Ive read in papers that people agree are good.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 18 queries.