ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you loose respect for a pro audio manufacturer who lies about product specs for marketing purposes?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best amp for pair of Labsubs (Poll)  (Read 8481 times)

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
Re: Best amp for pair of Labsubs (Poll)
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 05:46:05 PM »

Well, this is what my amps have been through:

95 degree heat, 80% humidity and being run at nearly full power for about 6hrs. I did that 7 times last summer and the amps held up just fine. Mind you I do sound for those loud rock bands with their mesa boogie half stacks, 8X10 bass cabs and loud ass drummers.

I dont have to deal with beers and high heels. I dont run my cables where people will step on them, and Im too young for bars...

Sure, there are better amps, but I think you cant beat the RMX amps for the price. They are built tough and sound fine. (flame suit on, Im ready to back this statement up  Twisted Evil )
Not all change is good change.

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 01:21:41 AM »

7 nights of use hardly is enough to give an amplifer a positive rating.. well okay.. perhaps you may like the way it sounds.. but alot of people here are running there amps 200+ nights a year.. thats umm 29x more than you did in a year..

seriously.. im not saying rmx sucks- yet.. im just wondering how they hold up in the long run - and HOW HARD people are pushing them that use them.. al you got any comments on that?

for my test bed I have 8 labs running since 1/2005.. they have run 6 nights a week for 5 hours at a time - full blast in a hot humid club.. ive used diffrent amps - but the install crown vz5000's and mx3000's are 5-8 years old.. thats phenominal as far as im concerned.. i want that same life out of a mobile system.. 200 shows and im happy.. 400 shows and im really happy.. you get the drift? Smile

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 10:01:33 AM »

WEll, the 7 times wasnt the only times I used the system last year... I did a fair amount of shows last year, and the year before. The amps are still holding up fine. Imm happy with my purchase.

I also know a few people that depend on their RMX amps every weekend everyone month of the year. Last I talked to some of them they are still holding up fine.

Yes, I know there are better amps, and Im sure there is a limit to their use, but Ive never had any problems with mine.
Not all change is good change.

Nathan Lehouillier

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 03:53:27 PM »

Well lets see if my plow can get threw your drift.
I have own 10 rmx's all bridged 4 ohms and I have
130-150 shows on them my only complaint is the cheesy
Vol. Pots. I have had to replace 4 of them and clean
the rest of them every two to three months.
I would compare them to Mx series in reliability any day.
The Mx's just have better vol. pots.
Trust Me I'm a "PRO" Wink

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 07:20:44 PM »

THATS what i was looking for.. im just leary of alot of made in china stuff.. MX's were made in the USA - and i still have some that are years and years old

dj-flexxx

• http://www.djs.net
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 10:13:35 AM »

i've always stuck to Crown amps for bass applications, there's a reason QSC doesnt give you a slew rate, plus the dampening factors way better with a Macro2400

Al Limberg

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 11:24:01 AM »

A little reding might help you understand that the two "specs" you mention have nearly as much to do with performance as the color of the faceplate and whether the gain controls are knurled or plain.  

?;o)
Al

p.s.  I think maybe it's "damping" factor,not dampening.
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year killing everyone inside - Robert X. Cringely

Nathan Lehouillier

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 11:48:05 AM »

I to misunderstood these specs.
You will improve your damping rate more by changing to
8 ga cable than increasing the amps damping factor.
And just so you know QSC does publish it's damping
rate on it's spec sheets.
Trust Me I'm a "PRO" Wink

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2005, 05:16:10 PM »

dj-flexxx wrote on Thu, 23 June 2005 07:13

i've always stuck to Crown amps for bass applications, there's a reason QSC doesnt give you a slew rate, plus the dampening factors way better with a Macro2400

Malarkey. Both Crown and QSC offer amplifiers that work well with bass. One of the subwoofer shootouts held by LABsters determined that the QSC PL 9.0 PFC was the best amp for that application. Different strokes for different folks. Slew rate and damping? Just numbers for the marketing guys. Looks like you bought the story.

My impression of people who say one amp sounds better than another is that at least one of the amps wasn't powerful enough or voltage wasn't high enough. It's when the amp is pushed too hard when its sound signature changes from very very flat to something else.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Jeff Woodford

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 05:52:58 AM »

I've been running 4 LABs off 2 Crown vz5000 in stereo and it seems to be a good match.
I've only popped drivers once, 1 box went down because a t-nut came loose on a driver and made an air leak. Other than that they seem to be able to handle as much as i can give them. I cross em at 35hz though as i'm a little weary of going any lower at high power and to be honest don't need to go any lower, there is plenty of sub.

On the RMX amps, i've been powering my Martin W8C's at 4 ohms off a 4050HD for a year or so i have spanked the arse out of them in all maner of dirty illegal rave venues as well as cold damp fields and beer covered night clubs, never had a problem with em. for the cash they are damn fine amps. My old mids ran 3x12's at 2.66 ohm off the 4050's and they loved it.

Going to have 6 LABs out in a pack outside this weekend all running of Crown 5k's, first time in the UK, much looking forward to the results. Razz
Jeff Woodford
Technical Sales
LMC Audio Systems.
London, UK.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 24 queries.