ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you loose respect for a pro audio manufacturer who lies about product specs for marketing purposes?

Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best amp for pair of Labsubs (Poll)  (Read 8508 times)

Raj Sookraj

Best amp for pair of Labsubs (Poll)
« on: June 01, 2005, 08:59:27 PM »

I sold a MA5000VZ for new amps to match a pair of Labhorns.  Can you help me pick out the best amp to run these subs?

Timmahh

• http://www.chromepony.us
Re: Best amp for pair of Labsubs (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 09:25:06 PM »

Im useing one EWI HS3600/pair of Labs. 2 Amps 4 Labs. PLENTY OF POWER. Very Happy im very satisfied with the performance. this subject has been beat to death 4 times over, do a search. it mostly boils down to properly setting up your system for what you have, and not pushing it beyond its limits. That being said, i would think you could of run the pair of labs off one side of the Crown, and still have room for more LABS when you build more, cuz you know you will. we all will. Twisted Evil guess i dont really follow your logic in selling the Crown.
I had to do it cuz I'm Just like that!!!!!
Timmahh!!!

David Trotter

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 11:47:07 AM »

Depends upon a lot of things, some people have found 2k a lab too much power and some people do it day in day out ...

If its heavy sub dance music and your using them 1 or two a side, then PLX 3402 all the way mate to avoid damage.

If your doing live shows, cluster of 4 and good protection etc. Then RMX1850's.

i blew 4 drivers using macrotechs and can't afford the risk of blowing them again. two 3402's have given us ample bass and the weight saving is quite important for me too. We're yet to clip them, although i've heard of people clipping one channel into a single lab with no failures.

Raj Sookraj

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 09:13:56 PM »

From all the posts I've read, it seems like everyone is using, or recommends the RMX1850 as the perfect match for one labhorn.  I can get the 2450 for the same price as the 1850.  Would driving a 2450 bridged with 1800 watts output (using limiters) be too stressfull for the amp considering the ohm load?  How do you guys compare those two amps bridged used one per labhorn?  Thanks for your advice.

Raj

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 10:02:42 PM »

bubblersound wrote on Thu, 02 June 2005 20:13

From all the posts I've read, it seems like everyone is using, or recommends the RMX1850 as the perfect match for one labhorn.  I can get the 2450 for the same price as the 1850.  Would driving a 2450 bridged with 1800 watts output (using limiters) be too stressfull for the amp considering the ohm load?  How do you guys compare those two amps bridged used one per labhorn?  Thanks for your advice.

Raj

I'm not sure I understand your question... the 1850 is pretty much the same amp as the 2450 but with slightly lower rail voltage. This means you will have slightly less peak power, but it will run cooler so you can get very loud for more duration.

Putting a limiter on a 2450 does not give you an 1850, it gives you a 2450 that only puts out 1850W but runs hotter than a real 1850 so it will thermal out quicker. I see no benefit from doing this unless you anticipate some other use for the amp later that the 2450 would be better for.

In that case forget the limiter and  make sure it gets plenty of cool air.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Raj Sookraj

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 12:06:00 PM »

I got a QSC RMX-4050HD for a real good price so i bought it to power 2 labs in stereo.  I think its like 2 RMX-1850HD's with a little more power.  I can't wait to put this system together.  Will have pics up in a couple of weeks.

Raj

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 03:14:54 PM »

im wondering.. i never like the rmx amps at all.. i have used one of the 5050's on a install with some yamaha subs and it sounds okay.. but i was told that rmx is made in china.. if it breaks you throw it away.

I love the plx amps.. but what is yalls experience with the RMX HD amps? I mean.. its really "bottom of the barrel".. In fact im revisiting the amplifier question myself right now

Roland Hogen

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 08:40:27 PM »

For the money I think the rmx is a decent amp.  I use 2 2450s 1 for mains, 1 for monitors and a 1400 for subs.  Most of this gear is the bands.  They play 80's covers for corporate gigs and some outdoor stuff.  I have yet to have the 1400 thermal on me running it briged at 4 ohms. If I had the money I would switch to the plx's or Crown K series (to save my messed up back.)

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 01:44:10 PM »

I run all RMX amps. They sound fine to me. MAtter of fact, I really dont think there is a sound quality difference between the 2 amps. The PLX are just lighter. They are also pretty tough amps. I run mine hard and bridged at 4ohms. They havent failed me yet, even in the toughest conditions.
Not all change is good change.

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 05:03:26 PM »

define tough conditions..

my defination of "tough conditions" is something like

105 degrees, 90%humidity
10 hours constant full volume - hard compression and just up to full power
hard banging drum and bass, hip hop, or other form of dance music with a couple mics, guitars, and drums thrown in for a show - also played at full volume..

couple of beers spilt on amp rack.. fat chick dancing ontop of rack - high heels penetrating power cords and speaker wires.

next day we're gonna be on the beach - 100+ degrees lots of salt spray, some sand, the occasional hermit crab that wanders to close to the distro

now do this at LEAST 5 times a week... is the RMX still gonna be a tough amp?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.