ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Favorite Drums  (Read 9489 times)

Ian Stroupe

Your Favorite Drums
« on: May 29, 2005, 06:10:34 PM »

Well this post came from my band's show Friday. We played at the drummer's step dad's studio and I he use the kit that was there. I got to use all the good mics Razz and a cool guitar amp but that's another story. The drum kit was a Fibes custom set and micing them up made my subs thump like never before and the sound was just awe inspiring. So do any of you have a favorite set of drums or heads that just sound as good as you couldhope for. I know this is probably a waste of your time and I know tunings and things make a huge different but yikes I am in percussion heaven with that set. Ian
The Noise Factory/Bluestrings Music

http://Http://www.bluestringsmusic.com

Yorkville Audio Dealer

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
Re: Your Favorite Drums
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 08:27:48 PM »

Favorite drums?

No question: Baltimore Drums.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

David Gunnardo

• http://www.davidsljudteknik.se
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 09:45:05 PM »

I have had some great results with a Pearl MMX set with Audix microphones (D6 on kick.. me like  Cool).

I had a rather trashed FIBES-set when i was younger.. i think it was fibes and sonor in a weird mix... I remember that it sounded awful. Smile Are not so in to drums so this is probably te first time since then i have heard of fibes.
Davids Ljudteknik, Sweden.
www.davidsljudteknik.se

Dan Brown

• http://www.reachcomm.net
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 09:48:18 PM »

work with a drummer with a fibes
work with a drummer with a DW
work with a drummer with a Premier

I think that a good drum set is more a combination of the good drummer / good tuning / good drumset.

my cents

Tim Padrick

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 02:47:32 AM »

In my (admittedly limited) experience, I think the drums are the least important part of the equation, at least when they are close mic'd.  Most of the DW kits I work with sound just as bad when close mic'd as those shallow shell, no bottom head travel kits.      One of the two best sounding kit's I've worked with is a Pacific the guy bought used for a couple hundred bucks.  It's mostly in the heads and the tuning (and the talent, of course).

The Evans Genera Dry snare head changed two of my clients' snares from ringy nuisances to nice, solid snares    

diluted23

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 06:18:12 AM »

my fav set is what i play, tama starclassic, maple and performer

Tom Reid

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 08:04:10 AM »

Just like you can't use a Fender Haguar to play ballads, no one drum kit is going to get the job done.  Kit's are genre specific.

I like Fibes, and Sonor for some studio stuff, for clean thumpy toms ...think old Police tunes, ELP.

I like vintage Ludwig for Rock and Roll ...Zepplin

Tama is a great kit in the right hands, Toto?

Yamaha made some nice kits, Steely Dan?
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Lee Patzius

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 10:48:13 AM »

I love my very rare Mapex 100% Maple shelled "Mars" series with extra deep 20" kick. (Not to be confused with the popular "M" series, made with a basswood mix. (Basswood? Reminds me of Sea Bass instead of Sharks with laser beams.  Laughing )

Absolutely beautiful sounding. But I do have one drum out of the bunch (it's the smallest 10" shell) that the shell naturally resonates slightly out of key with the rest, but is easily fixable with head tuning.

Never thought I'd put Mapex over my Ludwigs (A blue sparkle vintage set which I miss dearly, wound up stolen from me in Phoenix AZ) Tama (which I play every so often at my friend's house) or my 2 Pearl sets, one vintage white vinyl "leather" coated set which I'm looking at right now. My daughter plays those.

My Roland electronics are for low volume practice in a trailer park 'till 2:00AM Mondays and Thursdays (lead guitarist's place). But that's a whole 'nother catagory.

My friend has a Premier Signia set that sounds great too. The shells are slightly smaller than the head, leaving a larger gap between the head hoop and shell, acting much like a guitar bridge of sorts. Sounds incredible.

I've been very impressed with Sonor, but can't comment without first hand experience.

Lee Patzius

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 05:57:03 PM »

Quote:

So do any of you have a favorite set of drums or heads that just sound as good as you could hope for.

The most important part of the drum sound is choosing the right head for the application, and proper tuning for the sound you want.  Most good drum sets use a comparable quality shell, and most custom drum set makers all use the same shells (Keller) so the real difference in the kits is the heads, tuning, depth of shells, and where/how the hardware mounts to the drums. Better kits will usually use more esoteric hardware and hardware attachment points that allow the shell to vibrate more freely.  Other than that, the difference between most lower priced kits and their high end brethren is usually in wood species, quality of finishes, and better hardware.

There is no "ONE PERFECT" sound for all styles and types of music.

Quote:

No question: Baltimore Drums.

Keith Larsen from Balto Drum does build a nice kit. Keith is not only a great drummer himself, but a real cool guy. He worked for years as a drum salesman in a music store before branching out on his own, first as a small drum store, then as a drum builder. Dennis Chambers plays his stuff (even though he endorses Pearl!), as do lots of other great drummers.  I have a Balto snare drum thats pretty nice.  

Quote:

Just like you can't use a Fender Haguar to play ballads, no one drum kit is going to get the job done. Kit's are genre specific.

Drum kits, nor guitars or any instruments for that matter are genre specific.  While some general trends are seen in certain  musical styles (like jazz drummers seem to prefer smaller tom sizes) they are not absolutes.

Quote:

I like Fibes, and Sonor for some studio stuff, for clean thumpy toms ...think old Police tunes, ELP.

Stewart Copeland played Tama drums almost exclusively during his Police days.  While he endorses Remo drums now, Carl Palmer played Ludwigs  with ELP.

Quote:

I like vintage Ludwig for Rock and Roll ...Zepplin

For years, Ludwig was basically the only quality drum maker around so EVERYBODY played them.  

Quote:

Tama is a great kit in the right hands, Toto?

While current drummer Simon Phillips uses Tama, Deceased TOTO drummer and founding member Jeff Porcaro used Ludwigs early on and then endorsed Pearl. Jeff was one of the best drummers in the world!

Quote:

Yamaha made some nice kits, Steely Dan?

There are at least 12 drummers that I know of that have played on record or live with Steely Dan. While I guess some have used Yamaha, Steve gadd who is closely linked to the "Dan" sound used a mishmash of brands in his studio kits. His kits had Pearl Fiberglass drums, Gretch drums, Ludwig drums, and usually featured a Ludwig Supraphonic snare. While he later went on to endorse Yamaha (and still does) what you hear on most of his 1970s-1980s recordings is a mix of brands.

And why cant you play a ballad on a Jaguar?  Does that mean I can only play country music on a telecaster?  I better go tell the boss (Springsteen) to switch!  Smile

Quote:

Most of the DW kits I work with sound just as bad when close mic'd as those shallow shell, no bottom head travel kits. One of the two best sounding kit's I've worked with is a Pacific the guy bought used for a couple hundred bucks.

Pacific is the low end brand of DW.  So not to "tarnish" their high end name, they build their cheaper priced kits under the name Pacific.  

Just goes to show that its not the cost of the kit, its the heads and how you tune it.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Dan Brown

• http://www.reachcomm.net
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 06:04:56 PM »

Craig,
You forgot one thing, "bearing edges"

I do agree however that the tuning of a drum is what makes it genre specific.  Even though drums do have different sounds depending on size which also is somewhat genre specific.

Dave Barnett

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 08:38:08 PM »

While the guy who is tuning and hitting the drums is the most important element, all else being equal I prefer vintage American drums from the 1960s -- Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretsch, and Rogers, in that order. With single-ply heads.  Remo coated Ambassadors used to be IT, but everyone complains that Remo heads have gone to hell in the last couple of years.

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that I still see more Ludwig snares than any other brand.  I see guys with a Tama kit and Ludwig snare, Yamaha kit and Ludwig snare, Pearl kit and Ludwig snare, even DW kit and Ludwig snare, on a daily basis.

BTW, I HATE DW drums.  They got no soul.

Dave Unger

• http://folksoundguy.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 10:26:59 PM »

Noone has mentioned Ayottes.  I have a band this weekend with a fine custom Ayotte set with big maple rings and a drummer that knows how to tune!!   I hardly have to eq him at all!

I think drum sound is (in this order) tuning, good heads, good mics, good mic placement, eqing, dynamics.  I've heard DWs that sound like ass and ancient no names that sound great.

There is nothing quite like a well tuned vintage Gretch kit with a drummer who knows how to hit!  It's like the black face Twin or SVT of drums.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler." - Albert Einstein

Tom Reid

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 05:44:32 AM »

My point was the sound I was able to get from these drums kits emulated the specific artists described.

I no way do I know what these dudes are doing in a studio.
Hell, even Fleetwood Mac beat on a chair during one part of
recording and called it drums.  I forget who retails the chair.

Thanks for the info Craig.
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

John Michaels

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 12:36:22 PM »

How about North? If you turn them upside down and put lights in them, they make really cool driveway lights. Don't remember if they came in any colors besides yellow, though. For those who don't remember - North were the ones with a significant flare at the bottom that turned out away from the drummer, to project better. If memory serves, even the kick had a flared front edge.

Now, for my (personally owned) favorites - my first kit was Stewart (then sold by Sears), which I traded right when I got them sounding good for double bass Slingerland in Satin Blue Flame, which I traded for Tama Imperialstar, which I sold because folding them to fit in my 79 RX-7 proved too difficult. Then getting a Remo Headset, which although very collapsible, took just as long to set up as a regular set, and only sounded good from behind the kit - which I sold to someone who was willing to pay asking price (amazing), and then getting Pearl MX in smaller (i.e. more packable) sizes - 10", 12", 14" toms and a 20" kick. And an identically sized Yamaha (don't rememeber the series) kit in piano grey finish - eventually selling it to a friend (at a really good price) when I couldn't justify (wife?) having two kits.

All that said, good bearing edges, and some type of isolation mounts make a huge difference. I don't know if I ever stayed with a particular flavor of heads more than a year. Tried lots of things  - coated ambassadors, pinstripes, deadringers, those ugly yellow kevlar heads, Evans Generra, Aquarian, Moon Gel. Kit's in cases right now - and there are probably 3 or 4 new kinds of heads to try.  

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 12:43:45 PM »

Dave Barnett wrote on Mon, 30 May 2005 19:38

While the guy who is tuning and hitting the drums is the most important element, *snip*

BTW, I HATE DW drums.  They got no soul.

I have heard different drummers play the same drums on the same stage with the same mics on the same night, and the differences can be astonishing.

I believe it's the drummers that have the soul, not the drums.

Q: What's the best way to improve the sound of a drum kit?
A: Change the nut on the throne!
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Dave Barnett

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 09:29:12 PM »

AnotherDave wrote on Tue, 31 May 2005 11:43

I have heard different drummers play the same drums on the same stage with the same mics on the same night, and the differences can be astonishing.

This I have experienced many times.  And it wasn't always the owner of the kit who made it come alive.

Maybe I just don't like the kinds of drummers who are most likely to buy DW kits...

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 05:44:48 PM »

diluted23 wrote on Mon, 30 May 2005 05:18

my fav set is what i play, tama starclassic, maple and performer

A kit exactly like this is on the last 4 video shoots of the Mississippi Mass Choir as well as the last Dorothy Norwood video.

But the next ones will have my very own newly aquired (from my little brother, a very fine jazz drummer in San Diego) 9-year-old Yamaha Maple Custom kit in the nice green wood-grain finish... Very Happy
It's also on the last "SingSation" video shoot, shot here in MS and produced in Chicago.

Geri O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

A Man

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2005, 10:30:27 PM »

What they said. ^^^

I like C&C Drums.

http://www.prosoundmixer.com/albums/album01/brian5.jpg

Grayson Rech

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 09:03:10 AM »

My favorite are the air drums . . . sound is unparalleled always in tune, I never miss a beat, and load in and out . . . well they are so light and easy that I have time to load out the PA I'm driving!

Laughing

Hoob

Sorry . . . the post begged to be ripped on  Very Happy  Very Happy
Okay I'm done now.
Close enuff for rock n' roll

Brian Bolly

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2005, 02:06:40 PM »

I'll 3rd the Baltimore Drums/Maryland Drums vote.

Keith Larsen, owner, was working at a pretty well-known east coast music shop called Gordon Miller Music - not quite as popular/large as Chuck's, but you get the idea.  (He actually sold me my first set of Zildjians back in the day.)

Baltimore drum started around that time, Keith left GMM to make it a full-time venture and it became Maryland Drum more recently.  As a drummer, my largest complaint (when I priced a kit out a few years back) was the wait time.  However, they are some of the sweetest sounding drums I've heard, ever, and make the wait entirely worth it.

I love my Yamaha Tour Custom kits (birch/mahogany shells), but when I'm ready for the maple kit it'll be a M.D. without a doubt.

He also offers a line of steam-bent single piece snare drum shells made out of some pretty exotic woods.  Very cool.

http://www.marylanddrum.com/

Hal Mahan

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 07:13:43 PM »

One drummer I work with on a fairly regular basis has a wonderful set of Tama StarClassics, they are just dripping with tone, even unmic`ed. Another drummer I work with had a Yamaha birch kit(don`t know the model name), but sounded great! He now has a kit from Paul Montenari (sp?), a local Atlanta guy, he`s better known with drummers for his snares, they sound Killer!

Bottom line, it`s the guy driving the kit, no matter what brand/style/heads/mics/sticks/pedals/whatever,,,,

Hal Mahan

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.