ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Review: BOSE personal amplification system  (Read 44089 times)

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
Re: Review: BOSE personal amplification system
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2008, 02:29:14 AM »

Tyler Riddle wrote on Sat, 03 May 2008 12:01

All I was saying is that even our biggest jobs haven't topped 30 grand.

Then you're not very big. 30 large will about do a 250-peeps club: two EAW MK boxes per side for tops, two FR250z subs clustered in the center, Lab Gruppen power, Ashly Protea for processing, A+H GL2400-24 mixer.

Monitors, mics, stands, cables, insertables were all kept from the previous install.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Tyler Riddle

• http://www.onemanriddle.com
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 03:49:42 AM »

You know, the way he does business is his way,  He is honest and supportive, and he still gets slews of recommendations because of it

sndguy (Joel Ashcraft)

• http://www.midnightblueproaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 01:17:30 AM »

Doesn't BOSE stand for Bring Other Sound Equipment?

Thanks for the review.  I have been wanting to know about these. I have several clients tell me they are "great".  

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 11:04:41 AM »

sndguy (Joel Ashcraft) wrote on Fri, 09 May 2008 06:17

Doesn't BOSE stand for Bring Other Sound Equipment?

No, Bose is the sir name of the founder of the company.

Amar Gopal Bose (November 02, 1929 - )
A pioneer in modern acoustics, Dr. Amar Bose is Founder, Chairman and Technical Director of the internationally-recognized audio company that bears his name.

Raised just outside Philadelphia, Bose began his career at the age of 13, repairing radios in his basement during WWII.  His passion for technology continued at MIT, where he earned Bachelor, Master and Doctoral degrees in Electrical Engineering.  In 1956, Bose was asked to join the faculty at MIT, where he taught until 2001.

His research at MIT led to the development of new, patented technologies.  With those patents, he founded Bose Corporation in 1964.  He has achieved worldwide acclaim with the introduction of groundbreaking products, including the 901

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 12:09:16 PM »

Robert Lunceford wrote on Fri, 09 May 2008 10:04

No, Bose is the sir name of the founder of the company.

Amar Gopal Bose (November 02, 1929 - )
A pioneer in modern acoustics, Dr. Amar Bose is Founder, Chairman and Technical Director of the internationally-recognized audio company that bears his name.

Raised just outside Philadelphia, Bose began his career at the age of 13, repairing radios in his basement during WWII.  His passion for technology continued at MIT, where he earned Bachelor, Master and Doctoral degrees in Electrical Engineering.  In 1956, Bose was asked to join the faculty at MIT, where he taught until 2001.

His research at MIT led to the development of new, patented technologies.  With those patents, he founded Bose Corporation in 1964.  He has achieved worldwide acclaim with the introduction of groundbreaking products, including the 901
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

SteveKirby

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 01:20:11 PM »

Robert Lunceford wrote on Fri, 09 May 2008 10:04

He was named Inventor of the Year in 1987 by the Intellectual Property Owners Association and holds numerous patents in the fields of acoustics, electronics, nonlinear systems, and communication theory.

That would be most of his audio reproduction systems?  Rolling Eyes

My issue with Bose is that for every claimed "proprietary technology" I easily can think of prior examples.  And probably those weren't the original art, just obvious examples that I know about.  I've never bothered to delve into their patents, but I suspect at the very least they are "improvement" patents, or at worst on very shaky ground.  The huge marketing machine they've built gives them the financial resouces to force these patents in spite of their tenuous technical merit.

The second issue is the implementation of these "technologies".  KEF came out with a bandpass enclosure in an attempt to gain extended response.  Bose then put the principal in a plastic table radio with a high Q so that it faked the impression of bass and sold the ingnorant public that it was some secret proprietary magic.  Every "technology" that Bose has brought to the mass market, from "cylinderical wavefront line arrays" to noise canceling headphones, has been such a cut down and cheapened version of established technology that it would probably embarass the offshore copycats who directly counterfeit the higher end implementations.

I really lost it with Bose when they attacked Thiel (a small audiophile speaker manufacturer) for useing the decimal model numbering system.  e.g. 3.0, 3.2, 4.5 ect...  At the time Bose had just recently begun using this marketing concept that had been successfully used for years by BMW, and thus had a sort of higher end cachet to it.  That they felt such a blatent marketing rip off should be exclusively theirs, and that a fringe company who posed no threat to their target market should be enjoined from doing this as well (even though said company had been doing it before them and doing it since the outset of their company) just tourqued my squirel past the breaking point.  Maybe it was because Thiel actually sold product with serious engineering into the fringe audiophile market that Bose would like the general public to believe that they own.  The primary thrust to Bose's marketing scheme is to convince people who don't know any better, that the folks who are experts in the field, use their stuff.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

For instance, as JR points out, the 901's best presentation was for large scale classical music.  But the underground audiophiles who Bose would like the general public to belive were all over the 901's hated them.  No imaging at all.  They were already using "direct-reflecting" speakers.  Primarilly dipoles like the Quad electrostatic from the 50's, updates like Sound Labs, and electrodynamic dipoles like Magnapans.  Most Bose customers have no idea who these companies are, or what their speakers sound like.

Dick Rees

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 03:59:17 PM »

I think Bose should make a smaller model.....about 12" long and call it the "Personal Gratification System". Twisted Evil  
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Bob Leonard

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 04:59:17 PM »

I've spent enough time at BOSE in Framingham to have learned more than I wish about the company. I haven't been there to evaluate the products, but I look and I listen because unfortunately there's no getting away from the hype if you're in the building. Many of the products are built with care using quality components, others not so much of either. BOSE has a nitch and they're good at filling it, but other than that I have no use for their hardware or their hype. And Tyler, if your going to shill for BOSE at least do as Mac has requested and put your affiliation at the bottom of the page.
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Tom Young

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »

what flavor is the Koolaid ?
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Tyler Riddle

• http://www.onemanriddle.com
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 05:48:08 PM »

I keep telling everyone,  I'm not a Bose Dealer,  I get NOTHING from Bose,  I just happen to install a lot of Bose Products and am trying to be helpful.  So please, once and for all, get off my back.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 05:48:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up