ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 or 8 par 56 cans power issue?  (Read 2103 times)

arlo

• http://www.kidbismarck.com
4 or 8 par 56 cans power issue?
« on: May 20, 2005, 05:33:48 PM »

Hello
I want to run hopefully 8- 300w par 56 cans with a NSI 5600 dimmer.
Will I run into power issues?
Can I put this much juice on a 20 amp circuit?
How much is feasible?
Thanks KID

Brian Ship

Re: 4 or 8 par 56 cans power issue?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 06:53:31 PM »

Hello
I want to run hopefully 8- 300w par 56 cans with a NSI 5600 dimmer.
Will I run into power issues?
Can I put this much juice on a 20 amp circuit?
How much is feasible?
Thanks KID

8 x 300w = 2,400w.

20A x 120v = 2,400w.

Feasable or the norm is 80% rated load.

Will you pop a circut, perhaps not in some simple sense.  If there is a problem with even a lamp blowing or a cold start, amongst many issues perhaps yes.

Loose one fixture and it might be better given a single circuit.

This not having checked the dimmer pack for capacity.  What does the dimmer pack say about loading?

Adam Feldstain

• http://www.pro-opticlighting.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 11:15:56 AM »

i agree with Brian however you can get around that by running your boards master @ 95%
Adam Feldstain
Pro-Optic Lighting
djallf AT djallf DOT com

arlo

• http://www.kidbismarck.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 06:24:39 PM »

I have another question-
How do I get all 8 of hese pars plugged into NSI5000 dimmer pack?

In my old band the lights we rented had speakon connects at the bar, I think, then cables ran from those to the dimmer pack.

One end of the cable had speakon the other end had three prong plugs.

Brian Ship

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 10:37:48 PM »

I see eight outlets on the back of the dimmer and you have eight fixtures.  What's the problem here?

This given you don't run a single (rated for load) cable to the fixture groups and twofer off to them.  In using such a cable distribution system, you than given eight fixtures will be faced with extra outlets on the dimmer pack.

The NSI DDS 5600 dimmer if that's what you are using is rated for 600 Watts per channel or 2,400 Watts maximum for the dimmer pack.  This means than that you can either load up all dimmers with 2 fixtures at 300w each, or toss out some fixtures you have and use less per dimmer.  Given eight fixtures at 300w each, and a maximum load per dimmer channel of 600w, you can't put more than two fixtures per dimmer per pack.

How you patch them is based upon your design as long as you don't exceed maximum loading of the dimmer pack. I fail to see a serious challenge here.  

I would on the other hand recommend that you read the dimmer's manual than buy some books on basic lighting design and wiring.  Anything from "Concert Lighting" to "Stage Lighting Revealed" with literally a hundred more titles available to help both in design and the wiring tech part of it.  Such things will also to some small degree safely cover voltage drop and issues with having maximum loading in plugging into remote sources, and the effects of both dimmer and distance upon a similar loading if not too small wire gauge to carry the load.  Thus my 80% figure no matter the dimming given that load is still getting to the pack just being chopped for dimming once it leaves the pack.

If the pack is rated for a maximum loading per dimmer, that's the load you can put on the dimmer.  If the pack is rated for a maximum load total, that's the maximum load for the dimmer.  As opposed to a ND5000 series dimmer that can do 2.4Kw also but 1.2Kw max per channel, which would allow for four fixtures per dimmer, you have a maximum of two per dimmer in making it easier on you design wise.  Plug all in or don't use some given no other power sources.

This all beyond the debate of 80% rated load, slow and perhaps once warm enough blowing of a circuit breaker given voltage drop and other issues  playing into it blowing in addition to it's maximum loading, verses design factor of the circuit breaker or that of using the trim setting on the dimmer or light board to adjust them down some or even do cues so as not to have all up at full hours on end in overheating the power source.  You at very least will need both to calculate distance to power source, house wiring and length of time given a distance from outlet to dimmer in max loading it.

Dimmer itself won't by cut sheet blow if loaded to maximum - given used as designed, just a question of house power source in what you plug into, and how long it's used at full load possibly.

More study if this is your interest to do for an audience is recommended.  Otherwise read books on the Iriqui's disaster and other wee bit of "how was I to know better - what am I supposed to know what I'm doing" type mistakes in the past in learning why yes you can do this, but without proper training what you don't know about can kill people.  No matter if doing it for a living or for fun, you need to be responsible for what you intend to be doing.

I don't mean to say you should not be doing this, but due to what has been asked as compared to these seeming very basic questions you should know already before attempting this, I urdge you to think more into study into the field you are attempting to do and less into I have X and Y, how do I do it.  Nobody but you will be there when the lights go out or the wall socket plugged into in having only 14ga wire feeding it on a 20 amp breaker causes a fire.  You need to use the lights, you need to know what you are doing while using it.  This is intended to inspire you to learn - no matter your primary interest in making art.  Make art, but do so safely or don't do it.  It's not just your garage that will be blowing a breaker or starting a fire.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.