ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wire for Quads  (Read 5551 times)

Michael E.

Re: Wire for Quads
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 12:41:32 PM »

Really you should use crimps on standed wire to make the jump into the terminals on the outlet. The screws really aren't designed for the strands and you'll end up with about 1/2 of the wire actually making contact.
I'd rather be sailing

Michael E.

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 12:45:23 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Sat, 14 May 2005 21:20

In some areas the fire inspector won't allow anything less than 12/3 SO. IIRC Palm Springs is one of these.

Palm Springs, CA? I just played there a couple months ago, interesting town. At least we found the In-N-Out down the road. Very Happy
I'd rather be sailing

Brian Adams

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2005, 01:42:30 PM »

Michael E. wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 11:41

Really you should use crimps on standed wire to make the jump into the terminals on the outlet. The screws really aren't designed for the strands and you'll end up with about 1/2 of the wire actually making contact.

If I were wrapping around the screw, I think that would be true, but I just use the tension plate that is tightened by the screw.  I feel that that's the easiest and best way to do it, and it also seems like most recepticles are built to be used that way.
B.

Will Lane

• http://www.lighthouseprod.com
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2005, 04:44:36 PM »

I used crimp on spade lugs to go from the cable to the outlet, then i had some old 10/4 so I cut out the core and made little 6" wires and put spades on both ends to tie the 2 together.

-will
LH Productions Inc.
Ryder Truck Rental Enthusiast

Dave Stevens

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2005, 08:35:50 PM »

B. Adams wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 10:42

If I were wrapping around the screw, I think that would be true, but I just use the tension plate that is tightened by the screw.  I feel that that's the easiest and best way to do it, and it also seems like most recepticles are built to be used that way.

I'll add my vote for using spade lugs as well.  I've built scores of these over the years and I've found that by using the right lugs, crimped properly the failure rate in high demand or abusive applications is much lower for lugs than for sticking the cable into the screw plate.

Dave
======================================
Revenge of the Chick Car...
A Barking Dog Goes Road Racing in 2011
http://www.roaddog.com/racing/

Brian Adams

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2005, 09:20:41 PM »

Dave wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 19:35

I'll add my vote for using spade lugs as well.  I've built scores of these over the years and I've found that by using the right lugs, crimped properly the failure rate in high demand or abusive applications is much lower for lugs than for sticking the cable into the screw plate.

Dave

Huh.  Looks like it might be time to open up my quad boxes for a little upgrade...
B.

JimCreegan

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2005, 10:15:27 PM »

I made a trip to Lowes today and the only Duplex Receptacle that have the (bad) push in connectors are the $0.46 household grade.  

The standard commercial spec grade comes in the standard (wrap the wire around the screw) and for a dollar more have a double plate wire clamping system that looks to me like it would hold up at least as well as the crimp/screw.

JimC

Dave Stevens

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2005, 11:19:11 PM »

JimCreegan wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 19:15

a double plate wire clamping system that looks to me like it would hold up at least as well as the crimp/screw.

While they may look like they may hold as well as with a lug, my experience is they are more prone to loosening.  It appears to me that with the plate, the pressure isn't as consistent around the connection as with a lug.  If the boxes are used infrequently or live more or less in one place it's probably less of an issue.  Most fo this sort of vibration comes from loading in and out of cases and being bounced about during the in and the out.  The primary application for those sorts of duplexes is solid wire, not stranded.  It appears to me that the solid wire compresses more predictably than the stranded wire does.  I think it's worth it to spend the extra quarter or so per crimp for what I consider a more robust connection for stranded wire.

Dave
======================================
Revenge of the Chick Car...
A Barking Dog Goes Road Racing in 2011
http://www.roaddog.com/racing/

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2005, 10:37:15 AM »

I just measured the voltage drop at FOH on the system I am using here in Dallas. We have 450' of 10/5 going to FOH. We are drawing very little power with only a PM5D, 2 Dugan automixers some playback and 3 video monitors on the power. I am getting less than 2 volts of drop with the system running at low level. We have plenty of supply, with 200A 3
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.